Login    Register

Advice on a new car

Discuss other makes of cars here

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro, Moderators

• Author
Advice on a new car

Postby markywr1 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:02 am

Hi guys am basically in the search for a new daily runner as my current Peugeot diesel is so boring it's doing my head in! I have a 300 mile commute every week and average 17k per year. I have upto 7k to spend, i do fancy a clio sport, especially a 197 cup or maybe a cheaper older 182 with around 50k on the clock, or do i stick with a diesel and go for a Golf or a Skoda Fabia VRS diesel? any advice would be much appreciated as all i seem to be doing is scouring the internet everynight and my eyes are killing me.
markywr1

Re: Advice on a new car

Postby Megaman » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:12 am

I had a megane sport for my daily driver but when it got 7-8yrs old it had a load of electrical related issues which turned out to all be known issues. So swapped it for an R32 daily driver which has been fine and relatively economical doing 25-26mpg around city and mid 30's on motorway runs. Funnily enough the larger engine is more economical than the megane sport despite the book figures saying otherwise.

So if considering a clio watch out for electrical quirks apparently renault, peugeot and citroen work on the basis of making the car to last around 8yrs lol :)
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby W1 KRB » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:10 pm

I had to sell my 1 10 months ago and decided on buying a civic type r, 2005 so old shape but the facelift version, does 30mpg no problem and cost £4k, looked at Clio sports, golf gt tdi etc but decided on civic for all round, can't praise them enough, great handling and rev to 8.3k rpm!
W1 KRB

Postby chiroman » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:21 am

I've just collected a Skoda Octavia vRS DSG on a 12 plate, seems a very nice motor with a bit of interest with the flappy paddles and some toys inside compared to the scoob. I did find it amusing reading the briskoda.net forum wow some have over 200bhp. I tested a petrol version which went well but I'm going for a bit of economy and more relaxed on mways hence oil burner. computer says mpg av 45 today without trying. Double the economy of scoob, half the 0-60 and half bhp. Octavias can suffer a bit from road noise from rear tyres if the toe isn't set up ok and they wear a "heel and toe" to the inside treads. Golfs similar too. Octavia good design with saloon style but is a hatch with big boot. May well get the scoob on the market but it's a bit like voluntary limb removal after 7yrs ownership.
chiroman

Postby markywr1 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:42 am

Thanks for the input chaps, after much debating its going to have to be a diesel due to the mileage i do. And more than likely a Fabia VRS as i don;t need a large car, and the scoob wont be going anywhere as i couldn't part with it :D
markywr1

Postby W1 KRB » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:29 am

I regretted selling mine about an hour after I sold it, I'm waiting for S4lford to put her up for sale again :D
W1 KRB

Postby robwils » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:26 pm

Get the VRS, had one for about 2.5 years. Great economy for the performance level.
You can get them re-mapped to 165bhp and economy doesn't suffer.

Getting harder to find in decent condition / reasonable mileage though.

£ for £ best car I've owned :shock:
Shouldn't have sold it, should have kept it for a daily.

Rob
robwils

Postby chiroman » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:36 pm

Just done 220mile run in Octavia vRS tdI dsg and Averaged 52mpg. on computer which may be a little optimistic but its still pretty good. this at normal mway speeds eg 65-95ish.

Also just had 4 wheel alignment done today at Wheels in Motion, Chesham as these cars inluding Golfs etc with same multilink rear suspension can suffer the dreaded heel and toe wear to rear inner treads with subsequent whining from tyres ( and driver).

The DSG is quite cool, you can drive in auto and use the flappy paddles too, the car stays in manual for short while then reverts to full auto mode.
chiroman

Postby markywr1 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:40 am

Well i took a Fabia VRS for a test drive yesterday at a local dealer and i was very impressed with way it drove and pulled nice in all gears, it was one of the last a 57 plate up at 7k but the rear footwells were soaking wet through and showing some mould on the carpet, apparently a common problem with the door seal, on the off side sill there was some pitting in the paint which i thought was rust coming through, but the salesman ensured me its not as their galvanised? and i thought it needed new brake discs as there was a fair lip present, again the salesmen said to me if it fails the MOT for the brakes we'll replace them, it braked fine and straight, just personally i wasn't 100% happy with the condition of them, maybe i'm being to picky on a car thats done 53k i don't know, but i thought i'd try a dealer first to maybe get a better car?
markywr1

Postby S4lford » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:23 am

by W1 KRB » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:29 am
I regretted selling mine about an hour after I sold it, I'm waiting for S4lford to put her up for sale again
W1 KRB

You never know whats round the corner!!!!
;)
S4lford

Postby markywr1 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:51 pm

Deposit put on an 07 plate Skoda Fabia VRS se today, i like my special editions :D
markywr1

Postby robwils » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:54 pm

markywr1 wrote:Deposit put on an 07 plate Skoda Fabia VRS se today, i like my special editions :D

Thats exactly what I had !
Going to put my winter wheels / tyres on e-bay soon - unless your interested (genuine alloys - powder coated black) 8)
robwils

Postby markywr1 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:01 pm

robwils wrote:
markywr1 wrote:Deposit put on an 07 plate Skoda Fabia VRS se today, i like my special editions :D

Thats exactly what I had !
Going to put my winter wheels / tyres on e-bay soon - unless your interested (genuine alloys - powder coated black) 8)

I could be Rob, how much are we talking?
markywr1

Return to Other Marques