Login    Register

DBA Brakes

What bits are you adding to your car? A Map ? a Induction Kit ?
Tell us more...

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
DBA Brakes

Postby Steveyk » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:19 pm

I Have recently fitted the DBA 4000 series Wiper Slot discs all round after mulling over the many choices. I also fitted Yellowstuff pads at the same time.

I was going to do a full photo guide on fitting them but couldn't find the battery charger for my camera!

Still, they're easy enough to fit: two 19mm bolts on each front caliper and two 17mm bolts on each rear caliper, old discs off, clean the hub faces, new discs on, calipers back on, pads in calipers, job done.

I have to say the improvement is massive over what I had before, the initial bite is excellent from cold or hot, they feel very progressive and very predictable. They are coming up to the 200 mile mark now and should be bedded in nicely according to the instructions.

I know a lot of people don't like EBC pads, but I've never really had a problem other than what I now know were some cheap knock-offs and not Genuine Redstuff. The new pads squealed a lot at first, but now the 'brake-in coating' has come off they've almost stopped completely. I suspect that after a few more miles they'll be perfect.

For a grooved disc they are extremely quiet too, the grooved discs I had on before were loud enough to give you a headache, but these are no noisier than my missus's Jazz.

I'm well chuffed at the performance of these discs and pads, and I had Goodridge braided hoses fitted at the last service which help pedal feel no end. I can only imagine the braking force a set of AP's must deliver, because these DBA's feel like they'll crease the tarmac!

Now I can start saving for some BC's and then head to the 'Ring next year...! :D
There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.
Steveyk

Postby marchar » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:08 pm

thats great news steve, Did you get them from alyn in the end ?

Brake pot is filling slowly and my local is shutting this week so i reckon it wont be long till i get a new set of anchors :)
Nobody told me it was this brutal !
marchar

Postby Steveyk » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:39 pm

No mate, Demon Tweeks actually! They are nice quality discs, I'll put some pics up at the weekend. They seem to run really cool too. The hubs and outer edges are painted in gunmetal so they don't rust either.
Steveyk

Postby Micktype WR1 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:43 am

I noted that you chose EBC Yellow Stuff pads and glad to see that you ignored the historic stuff.
Did you consider EBC's new Blue Stuff pads. Ive read a couple of articles recently. They gave some away and asked for feedback which seemed excellent saying that they are great all rounders with low noise too.

Quoting a feedback report.....

"...I was one of the Scoobynetters that Andy Freeman of EBC sent free Bluestuff pads out to with a view to reviewing them on here. I agreed to do so, pointing out that they would not be used on the track (Andy said although they are designed primarily for the track were great on road too) and that my review would be "warts 'n' all", regardless of the fact the pads were sent free.

My car is a 2001 WRX, modded to 301/290 with an Andy F Hybrid TD04 turbo and has braided hoses and Dot 5.1 brake fluid.

The previous pads were Pagid 4.2.1s (ie Blacks), so in all honesty I was expecting the EBCs to be a step down, noting that they are quite a bit cheaper. I'm pleased to say that this has proved not to be the case.

These pads have only been out since July 2010 and EBC reckon the fact they are "heat scorched" means that bed in time is minimal, ie they pretty much come "bedded in". Well, I thought that I'd put that to the test and within 5 miles of driving after fitting I went straight onto my favourite local twisty road, the "Lang Whang". EBC were right enough - the pads worked great from the off. What great stopping power! No issues from cold and good initial bite!

I took the car out for a second test along the Lang Whang today. Did enough testing to make my girlfriend say she quite literally felt sick (sorry lass!). Did two "emergency" stops from 70mph to 0mph. Suberb stopping. Didn't get any fade although note I can't vouch for track use.

So, as a summary, my views on EBC Bluestuff pads from July 2010 are:

overall stopping power - superb
fade - none on the road on my test
use when cold - good, don't appear to need warmed up
initial bite - good
brake dust - definately less than average for brakes of this calibre

I'd have to say that I prefer the new Bluestuff to the Pagids (which are also very good) - will be interested to hear the comments of others that have come from this standard of pads.

I had planned to try DS2500s when I finally get an 06 Sti, but now I think it may be getting Bluestuff intead!"

--------- END OF QUOTE ----------
Micktype WR1

Postby asperformance » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:12 pm

not sure about the "fake" redstuffs...........
personally not that impressed with some of their new compounds as they seem inconsistent to say the least (as many good as bad sets)??
ASPerformance
PFC BRAKES, PAGID, MOTUL, FERODO, BREMBO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA
online shop!!
asperformance

Postby Steveyk » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:35 am

I just picked Yellowstuff on the description on their website- higher coefficient of friction than Redstuff and a wide temperature range. I'm pleased with them so far!

Everything I suppose is relative, I had crap brakes before, so these feel fantastic and will suit my driving (mostly to Sainsbury's but with the odd weekend 400-mile blast around wales) nicely.

I can't afford thousands of pounds on AP conversions and on the basis of 250 miles I think the discs and pads are excellent value. Time will tell!

The Redstuff pads I bought off eBay didn't fit in the front calipers, i had to grind quite a bit off the edges of the pads, which I wasn't happy about. I also now know they didn't have the red 'Brake-in coating' which all EBC pads come with. Nor did they come with shims or instructions or even bubblewrap! Oh, and they were about as effective at being brake pads as tree bark.

Moral of the story: Buy nice or buy twice! :lol:
Steveyk

Postby asperformance » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:29 pm

sopunds like the earleir ones then as there were a few "redstuff" compounds over the years........
ASPerformance
PFC BRAKES, PAGID, MOTUL, FERODO, BREMBO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA
online shop!!
asperformance

Postby Steveyk » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:58 pm

So I believe, I read somewhere the Yellowstuff ones were a new compound last year because they'd had bad reviews.
Steveyk

Postby Steveyk » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:31 pm

Photos:

The three stripes change colour at different temperatures, presumably helpful on a trackday for monitoring the brakes?

Steveyk

Postby marchar » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:49 pm

They look good, Nice that the edges and hubs are painted, my cheepy ones are rustier than the titanic !

Did they chuck in the onion for free :lol:
Nobody told me it was this brutal !
marchar

Postby Steveyk » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:37 pm

Ha! :lol:

The missus was badgering me to make tea but I was more interested in my shiny new discs...
Steveyk

Postby Smasher » Wed May 16, 2012 9:54 pm

Hi,

just tried to remove the calipers on mine but the buggers are on there tight!! Any advice for removing them. Also can you remove the pads through the back of the calipers by removing the clips and knoking the pins out, or does the caliper have to come off.

cheers Kev.
WR1 all the way!!
Smasher

Postby Steveyk » Thu May 17, 2012 7:15 am

You can remove the pads by taking the split-pins out of the long metal rod that passes through the top of the pads and the caliper. You might have to tap the rod out from the side that faces you with a drift if it hasn't seen any copper grease for a while. The caliper bolts will be tight as feck, I managed to get them moving with a ruddy big spanner and a rubber mallet. I just kept tapping the spanner untill the bolts moved. Put some threadlock on them when they go back in! Also, get both front wheels off the floor and get full lock on so you can see what you're doing easier with the bolts.
Steveyk

Postby Smasher » Thu May 17, 2012 12:04 pm

cheers I will try this.
WR1 all the way!!
Smasher

Return to Tuning and styling On the WR1