Login    Register

It's all so easy-Part 2

What bits are you adding to your car? A Map ? a Induction Kit ?
Tell us more...

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
It's all so easy-Part 2

Postby Mac-1 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:32 pm

Well, I decided to spend a bit of money on the 1 but where do I start with a limited amount of funds and a wife who wants to account for every penny at the moment.

I thought it would be far easer if I upgraded the engine to get a bit more power but to keep costs down doing the labour myself and having costed every thing up that I needed, decided to go with:

New crank,
New pistons
Twisted turbo
Front mounted intercooler
Re-map (Bought a Laptop from a guy in the pub which I can use, its got a number of different maps so I am sure one of them will do for me)

I got the 1 on axel stands and made a start this weekend by removing the engine; this was easer than I thought. I didn’t have an A frame but knocked one up from an old scaffold which was ok just a bit difficult with the gear box attached, that aside a piece of piss.

I have the engine in the garden only partly striped due to time but found it very quick and straightforward to get out, I think while the engine is out I will fully clean the bay, it hasn’t been done since we bought it.

I plan to do a bit more this evening and plan to have it back on the road ready for Brunters. I will keep you posted on my progress.

PS Does anybody have a Haynes 2004 Impreza manual, not that I need it. It’s just in case.

Mac-1

Postby danr55 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:55 pm

It's a good job you phoned me for some advice. The engine is always much easier to take out with the rear wheels removed I find :thumb:
danr55
Site Owner

Postby Mac-1 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:57 pm

danr55 wrote:It's a good job you phoned me for some advice. The engine is always much easier to take out with the rear wheels removed I find :thumb:

CR told me that the rear drive shaft has to come out at the same time as the engine.
Mac-1

Postby wr1.305 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:56 pm

lol.......they told me that to take the engine out they will need to remove....
1.boot liner
2.windscreen wipers
3.aircon button
4.ic spray bottle
5.rear seat belts
6. and rear spolier
:toofunny:
wr1.305

Postby marky mark » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:57 pm

:lol:
If JP is Roland Rat, them I am Errol the Hamster... His number 1 fan.
marky mark
JPs little helper

Postby SPIKE LIKE MIKE » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:11 pm

Bt posh round your way Steve.....they left ours on bricks... :lol:
Crash bang wollop!!
SPIKE LIKE MIKE
"Special Needs" constable

Postby Mac-1 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:00 am

wr1.305 wrote:lol.......they told me that to take the engine out they will need to remove....
1.boot liner
2.windscreen wipers
3.aircon button
4.ic spray bottle
5.rear seat belts
6. and rear spolier

Hi Kev,

I think they are taking the piss out of you again; you don’t need to remove any of this at all.

I have been doing a bit of mechanicing on the WR1 for about a year now and found that CR talk with fork tongue. Besides I have taken the engine out now and had no problems.

I did a bit more last night and had a problem with removing the bolts on the turbo, tried WD40 but they were solid, looks like I will have to drill them out, it’s a good job I am fitting a new one. I removed the crank case and the shells last night and the crank looks good so when I have finished the re-build will put everything onto e-bay to held fund things.
Mac-1

Re: It's all so easy-Part 2

Postby dynamix » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:38 am

Mac-1 wrote:Re-map (Bought a Laptop from a guy in the pub which I can use, its got a number of different maps so I am sure one of them will do for me)

I hope you are joking with this?

Dont, whatever you do load a generic, untested map on it.

If you really want to do this and do an open source remap on it you need to get hold of a tactrix cable (www.tactrix.com).

Best way is to download the existing map from your car's ecu and edit that rather than load something unknown.

I would be happy to help if you wanted.....
Duncan : www.racedynamix.com
email: duncan@racedynamix.com
tel: 07540 185754
Custom Remaps for: All Impreza/Forester 2001-2010 | Classics 92-96 (ESL) | Syvecs (Solaris) | Simtek
dynamix

Postby danr55 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:16 am

dynamix wrote:
Mac-1 wrote:Re-map (Bought a Laptop from a guy in the pub which I can use, its got a number of different maps so I am sure one of them will do for me)

If you really want to do this and do an open source remap on it you need to get hold of a tactrix cable (www.tactrix.com).

Best way is to download the existing map from your car's ecu and edit that rather than load something unknown.

why? I was going to go over at the weekend, and we were just going to try all the different ones till we found one that worked :?
danr55
Site Owner

Postby dynamix » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:36 am

The worst case scenario is that it fries the ecu.

The best case scenario is that it will run like shit.

There is an even worse case scenario in that it could kill your engine but you dont want to go there.
Duncan : www.racedynamix.com
email: duncan@racedynamix.com
tel: 07540 185754
Custom Remaps for: All Impreza/Forester 2001-2010 | Classics 92-96 (ESL) | Syvecs (Solaris) | Simtek
dynamix

Postby danr55 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:29 am

dynamix wrote:The worst case scenario is that it fries the ecu.

The best case scenario is that it will run like shit.

There is an even worse case scenario in that it could kill your engine but you dont want to go there.

between me and Steve I'm sure we'll be OK :D
danr55
Site Owner

Postby Mac-1 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:49 am

danr55 wrote:
dynamix wrote:

why? I was going to go over at the weekend, and we were just going to try all the different ones till we found one that worked :?

You are having a laugh, the engine will take time to do and it won’t be in for another couple of weeks I need to finish striping it first.

My name isn’t Duncan or Marky Mark, I have to do it one step at a time, I have't done one before.

You can come over on Saturday and give me a lift if you want then we can put your car in the middle of the four 1’s at the Drakes Broughton village fete.
Mac-1

Postby Mac-1 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:53 am

dynamix wrote:

Thanks for the advice Duncan, the guy I bought it off said it was relatively straight forward to put a new map into my 1 but you are giving me doubts.

I will worry about it more when I have finished the re-build and got it back on the road.
Mac-1

Postby presa900 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:49 pm

Good luck with the build Steve

Top marks for attempting it yourself :thumb:
presa900

Postby danr55 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:12 pm

[quote="presa900"]Good luck with the build Steve

Top marks for attempting it yourself :thumb:[/quote

With my supervision :wink:
danr55
Site Owner

Postby presa900 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:19 pm

danr55 wrote:
presa900 wrote:Good luck with the build Steve

Top marks for attempting it yourself :thumb:[/quote

With my supervision :wink:

Beer supervision maybe :lol:
presa900

Postby EVO 3695 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:55 pm

Don't panic Steve I will be down tomorrow to help you, remember I have many years working on engines under my belt when I worked on the farm there can't be much difference between a Subaru and a Fergie engine can there !!! they both got four pistons haven't they,but if I remember someone said they were flat not upright in your car but I think they were lying.Anyway I will be down in the morning with the bale twine, sledge and my one size fit all spanner ( The gas bottles ) No No there's no need to thank me :D :D :D :D :D
EVO 3695

Postby Houdini » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:18 pm

OMG!!! :shock: :shock: Be very, very careful. If you remove the heads either side all the petrol will fall out and you'll need another mortgage! Then you could slip on the extra-slidey stuff and bang your head on all the parts you've just removed as you fall to the ground giggling. I say 'giggling' as you will be intoxicated before you hit the ground, perhaps from the beer consumed before, but certainly from the methanol you should be running as it now appears to be cheaper than a pint of water from Severn Trent's waste facility.

... before it enters the facility!

I love the fact that 'Evian' spelt backwards is so close to the truth sometimes :wink:

Thank God Evo234872578623587162348905716897562.5 will be there to steady the ship. Look after him!
Houdini

Postby wr1.305 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:08 pm

wr1.305

Postby SPIKE LIKE MIKE » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:56 pm

Quality thread.......... :toofunny:
Crash bang wollop!!
SPIKE LIKE MIKE
"Special Needs" constable

Postby Mac-1 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:40 pm

wr1.305 wrote:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUBARU-IMPREZA-WORKSHOP-MANUAL-CD-STI-TURBO-WRX_W0QQitemZ130232662823QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item130232662823&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

you may need this matey!! :D

Fook me Kev, nice one mate.

I will bid for this. Just what I need, I have been taking photos as I have been dismantling so I can see how it goes back together.

I got the turbo yesterday but will need to modify more that I thought due to its size buts coming along nicely.
Mac-1

Postby Mac-1 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:47 pm

EVO 3695 wrote:Don't panic Steve I will be down tomorrow to help you, remember I have many years working on engines under my belt when I worked on the farm there can't be much difference between a Subaru and a Fergie engine can there !!! they both got four pistons haven't they,but if I remember someone said they were flat not upright in your car but I think they were lying.Anyway I will be down in the morning with the bale twine, sledge and my one size fit all spanner ( The gas bottles ) No No there's no need to thank me :D :D :D :D :D

Why would I want help from you, you hand fisted ex-farmer. This is a piece of highly engineered machinery that needs to be done properly, no big hammers and spanners on this re-build.

Besides, you speak with fork tongue and very unreliable when it comes to mates. There are many people (members of WR1OC) who have sent me PM’s offering expert help and advice.
Mac-1

Postby Mac-1 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:04 pm

Houdini wrote:OMG!!! :shock: :shock: Be very, very careful. If you remove the heads either side all the petrol will fall out and you'll need another mortgage! Then you could slip on the extra-slidey stuff and bang your head on all the parts you've just removed as you fall to the ground giggling. I say 'giggling' as you will be intoxicated before you hit the ground, perhaps from the beer consumed before, but certainly from the methanol you should be running as it now appears to be cheaper than a pint of water from Severn Trent's waste facility.

... before it enters the facility!

I love the fact that 'Evian' spelt backwards is so close to the truth sometimes :wink:

Thank God Evo234872578623587162348905716897562.5 will be there to steady the ship. Look after him!

Sorry Frazer but it seems from the tone of you thread that you aren’t taking my re-build very seriously. I am a little disappointed with this given the fact that I had a great deal of respect for you and your knowledge of Impreza’s.

So don’t come asking me for a drive or a ride of the re-built 1 at Brunters. Well you can come for a ride but you will have to pay double £20, after all it is for charity.
Mac-1

Postby WR 1mposter » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:32 pm

fair play to you steve for getting your spanners dirty

I find this one tool for all occasions really helpful

2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby wr1.305 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:35 pm

wr1.305

Postby danr55 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:51 pm

I found a cool tool in the garage that we're going to use to chop the bumper to get the FMIC in 8) 8)
danr55
Site Owner

Postby ScoobyDan » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:06 pm

Good luck with the build Steve (not that you will need it if Dan is helping, his mechanical knowledge is second to none) :lol:
ScoobyDan

Postby WR 1mposter » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:16 pm

danr55 wrote:I found a cool tool in the garage that we're going to use to chop the bumper to get the FMIC in 8) 8)

be very careful when using these tree choppers :shock:

2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby Mac-1 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:26 am

Well it’s taken a bit of time and money but finally finished the 1.

I had a bit of difficulty re-fitting the engine but after a few pushes and pulls it finally went in. I didn’t fit the new twisted turbo; it was going to be too much messing around so fitted the standard, I will get Power Station to fit it when it goes in for the dyno run. The new pistons and crank was easer than I thought but my son was on hand to give me that bit of confidence to just get it completed.

We took it out for a bit of a slow run yesterday afternoon just to see how thing went on and try to put the new map in, which went in fairly easy although I have to admit my son did it for me. The good new is that our best estimates are that it is now pushing 320bhp but will get this confirmed when we get it dynoed after running things in.

So I am ready for Brunters.
Mac-1

Postby Micktype WR1 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:52 am

mmm............ :roll:

So that'll be 320 brake horse POWER!!!! mmm..............

So................. that'll be..............

Back to where it started then Steve............ mmmm......... NICE :!:
Micktype WR1

Next

Return to Tuning and styling On the WR1