Login    Register

Chicken Wire

What bits are you adding to your car? A Map ? a Induction Kit ?
Tell us more...

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Chicken Wire

Postby Houdini » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:35 am

Just can't get enough really, but when I scratch my way under the cage I get to look at my '1' with this exterior mod. I've seen one other with this bonnet cut-out. Anyone else got this?

Houdini

Postby danr55 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:56 pm

i've seen one with it, i think it looks great :thumb:
danr55
Site Owner

Postby stijoy » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:09 pm

the car that i bought my spoiler off had this on, had the chance to buy this as well, but it had a few bad stone chips, and i would have lost my x-pel protection off the bonnet.
stijoy

Postby The Swede » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:23 pm

Is it actually a cut out ?

This looks more like an ill-fitting "stick-on". :nono:

Personal opinion: looks cheap.
The Swede

Postby Houdini » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:22 am

Yes, it is a cut-out.

Might look cheap to you but the dent in my bank account would suggest otherwise
Houdini

Postby Gangsta Smurf » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:48 am

It looks the bollocks matey ... can't see whether you have the finned spoiler but it looks better when you have that too - completes the rally look.

Best thing about that vent is that you haven't cut into the bonnet or anything and it can be easily removed.

:D 8) 8)
Gangsta Smurf

Postby Houdini » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:14 am

Thanks, Gangsta. I don't have the finned spoiler, I'm afraid. I did have a go in one that had that fitted and I um'ed and ah'ed for a wee while whether I would get that too, but ultimately decided against it for two reasons. First, the old funds were getting rather depleted, but I also felt it was restricting my rear vision quite a lot and was worried that my already-average driving skill was going to get worse if I had it.

I agree with you that it does complete the look and maybe I'll have another think in the future when that lottery cheque comes through :wink: The next step for me would be engine mods but the plethora of options is just too scary to consider right now :shock:

The vent is a cut-out, I'm afraid, so can't be removed. That's why it was so expensive as it's basically a new bonnet. I'd need to fit the old bonnet back on if I wanted to return the car to the original look.
Houdini

Postby Gangsta Smurf » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:25 am

WR1TE-OFF wrote:Thanks, Gangsta. I don't have the finned spoiler, I'm afraid. I did have a go in one that had that fitted and I um'ed and ah'ed for a wee while whether I would get that too, but ultimately decided against it for two reasons. First, the old funds were getting rather depleted, but I also felt it was restricting my rear vision quite a lot and was worried that my already-average driving skill was going to get worse if I had it.

I agree with you that it does complete the look and maybe I'll have another think in the future when that lottery cheque comes through :wink: The next step for me would be engine mods but the plethora of options is just too scary to consider right now :shock:

The vent is a cut-out, I'm afraid, so can't be removed. That's why it was so expensive as it's basically a new bonnet. I'd need to fit the old bonnet back on if I wanted to return the car to the original look.

Blimey you went the whole hog on the vent then!! I remember when I first bought the finned spoiler I was about 30 seconds away from having the bonnet vent done but then I found out how much the exhaust was going to cost (had it custom made for the WR1) so decided to put the vent on hold.

For me the finned spoiler just completed that car. Not everybodys cup of tea though and I was 21 at the time and being from essex the bigger and more crazy your spoiler the better! :wink:

As with all these type of modifications it's very easy to make a judgement from a picture but when you see them in the flesh it's a completely different story.

Keep modding mate!
Gangsta Smurf

Postby The Swede » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:15 pm

No doubt a question of personal taste.

So they actually cut it out of your own bonnet and placed the wire on or they sold the bonnet as such ?

Not a fan though of the different spoilers although I do like a real WRC lookalike.

The Swede

Postby Anders_WR1 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:28 pm

Looks the dogs nads...but how will it effect air flow in to the intercooler scoop? The lip on the front of the vent looks like it would divert a lot of air up and over the intercooler scoop at high speed, or at least there would be a lot of turbulence. Or worse still, hot air from the engine bay goes out of the engine bay straight in to the intercooler.

I'm no aerodynamics expert though!

Anders
Engine: FMIC with K&N CAIK, Oil Catch Can & MD321H turbo. Next mod: TBD
Brakes: Turbo Groove Discs, Pagid RS29's & Braided Hoses.
Suspension: Whiteline front and rear ARB's, ALK
Anders_WR1

Postby Houdini » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:42 am

Thanks, Anders. You're right to question how it works :wink:

It's essentially a blank plate so there's a dummy darkness below the cut-out with black perspex as the infill, therefore there's no hot air going to the top-mounted intercooler. You're also right that from an aerodynamic point-of-view the lip on the vent will ultimately disturb airflow to the scoop, but at the speeds I drive it wouldn't make any difference anyway :wink:
Houdini

Postby Anders_WR1 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:38 am

WR1TE-OFF wrote:Thanks, Anders. You're right to question how it works :wink:

It's essentially a blank plate so there's a dummy darkness below the cut-out with black perspex as the infill, therefore there's no hot air going to the top-mounted intercooler. You're also right that from an aerodynamic point-of-view the lip on the vent will ultimately disturb airflow to the scoop, but at the speeds I drive it wouldn't make any difference anyway :wink:

I wondered what was going to happen to the water with a gapping hole in the bonnet :thumb:
Anders_WR1

Postby Houdini » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:28 am

The only water I've got is for personal retention - most of it is on my brain :bang: As you can see, most of it is still trying to escape :wink:
Houdini

Postby Anders_WR1 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:12 am

WR1TE-OFF wrote:The only water I've got is for personal retention - most of it is on my brain :bang: As you can see, most of it is still trying to escape :wink:

If your IC water spray runs out...tap some from your head :lol1:
Anders_WR1

Postby Houdini » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:30 am

:lol2: Will do. Cheers, m8.
Houdini

Return to Tuning and styling On the WR1