Login    Register

Remap standard ECU possible ?

What bits are you adding to your car? A Map ? a Induction Kit ?
Tell us more...

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Remap standard ECU possible ?

Postby The Swede » Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:39 am

I was wondering whether it is possible to remap the standard ECU of the STi.

From what I heard, remapping should improve power and help fuel consumption as it finetunes the settings of the car and ensures it makes better use of the available quality of fuel, etc.

I also heard that on some occasions some of the WR1's, that did not deliver their 320bhp, had been "looked upon" by Prodrive. I understand this was without swapping the ECU units.

So I was wondering if any benefit could be obtained by remapping the existing ECU of the STi, without really changing anything else (air induction, exhaust, fuel pump,...) ?
The Swede

Postby stijoy » Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:43 am

why, seeing you are getting rid in 7 months :cuckoo:
stijoy

Postby The Swede » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:00 am

stijoy wrote:why, seeing you are getting rid in 7 months :cuckoo:

All depends how much that programmer's time must cost.

But these are the 7 most 'fun' months:
1. it's winter,
2. it's going back anyway ;) Image

Plus, since we will have a far too big concentration of STi's in the region soon (3 within 100 miles + 1 Evo8 260), I need to stay ahead and show the Type-UK car is better :D

Finally, getting the fuel consumption a bit down wouldn't hurt as I need to convince the wife I can get another one for her when this one is out of lease... :?
The Swede

Postby chelspeed » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:32 am

You can get your standard ECU remapped with a product called Ecutek. Pretty sure the dealer can see you've done this and it'll therefore trash the warranty.

Mike Wood looked at my ECU during RR4 and did nothing more than remove some learned timing corrections that looked odd on the graph. He put these down to a tank full of standard unleaded I'd used some weeks before which would have eventually been unlearned but in the mean time were holding it back. He manually took a couple of the spurious adjustments out, retested it, then did a complete ECU reset and retested again.

Not sure he's actually done any tweaking on any cars. Guess if he had he'd not advertise it in case everyone wanted a personal remap.
chelspeed

Re: Remap standard ECU possible ?

Postby WR 1mposter » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:45 pm

Torrekens wrote:I was wondering whether it is possible to remap the standard ECU of the STi.

From what I heard, remapping should improve power and help fuel consumption as it finetunes the settings of the car and ensures it makes better use of the available quality of fuel, etc.

I also heard that on some occasions some of the WR1's, that did not deliver their 320bhp, had been "looked upon" by Prodrive. I understand this was without swapping the ECU units.

So I was wondering if any benefit could be obtained by remapping the existing ECU of the STi, without really changing anything else (air induction, exhaust, fuel pump,...) ?

Ask Robocop he has had is remapped and no other mods
although his was a PPP
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby Robocop » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:24 pm

Hi
I would whole heartedly recommend an Ecutek remap. For me, I year after I bought the car, it's as though I've bought another car.

You will definitely need an uprated fuel pump. This is done as part of the PPP upgrade.

I'm sure you know anyway, but your "local" Ecutek dealer is Racing Technology. Link here http://www.ecutek.com/pricing/ and also to my posting regarding WRC Tech remap http://www.scoobycity.co.uk/wr1/phpBB2/ ... php?t=2199
Robocop

Postby The Swede » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:59 pm

You blew me on this one Robo.

I'll need to PM you to get more detail.

Maybe for all: what is the ECUtek ? It seems like a diagnosing tool to me.

What are you supposed to do with it ? Remap your own car ? :shock:

Hmm... :suss:
The Swede

Postby Robocop » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:28 pm

Ecutek is the software that remaps your current ECU. From what I gather, it's very expensive to buy the software and is well beyond Joe Public to know how to use the thing. As you can see in the link above, there's not even that many places even in the UK that are licenced to use the software.

Some links for info for you
http://www.tsl-motorsport.co.uk/newsite ... &detail=47

http://www.litchfieldimports.co.uk/subaru/ecu.html
Robocop

Return to Tuning and styling On the WR1