Login    Register

harness to replace standard seatbelt

What bits are you adding to your car? A Map ? a Induction Kit ?
Tell us more...

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author

Postby delrodney » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:20 pm

wifey always moaning that she misses the seats from the p1, as they kept her in place far better than the wr1 seats.

in view of this, i've suggested i get her a harness.

has anyone done similar?
can it be done (diy job)?
any pics and/or advice would be appreciated.
product suggestion would also be handy - 3 or 4 point?

thanks guys :wink:
Trev
Your ego is writing cheques your body can't cash!
WR #47
delrodney

Postby SteveS » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:56 pm

Fitted these Sparco belt sets to my one, they are the 4 point variety and fitted in less than an hour, my lad got them from Halfrauds (shame to say he works there Image, I had such high hopes) they were on offer for £40 squid and he used his employee discount card, as he is a qualified belt fitter he did them for me. Total cost £20.00 and a beer. Image. As you can see from the pics, they are anchored to the picket points under the rear seats. They stay out of the way in the crook of the seat so when driving with the standard seat belt they don't feel uncomfortable. The car has just past the MOT and no problems were picked up.

SteveS

Postby asperformance » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:34 am

personally for the road your better off with a std seat belt...........

a harness adjusted properly relies on little or no movement as it doesn't have the recoil facility a std one has, and this causes problems with even simple things like glancing over your shoulder at junctions, etc.
ASPerformance
PFC BRAKES, PAGID, MOTUL, FERODO, BREMBO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA
online shop!!
asperformance

Postby Megaman » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:48 pm

Looks like you get a free wedgie if you get a ride in the back of your car when fitted with a harness.

Would rather change the seat than the seatbelts in my car, then again im a big lad.
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby SteveS » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:17 pm

asperformance wrote:personally for the road your better off with a std seat belt...........

a harness adjusted properly relies on little or no movement as it doesn't have the recoil facility a std one has, and this causes problems with even simple things like glancing over your shoulder at junctions, etc.

Totally agree, I haven't yet used the harnesses whilst driving on the roads, just for track use................and the fact that I can deter the Mother in Law from taking a rear seat wedgie :toofunny: :rofl:
SteveS

Postby Gee Wr1 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:25 am

Rather than harness's what about these http://www.cg-lock.co.uk/ clamp you in place using standard seat belts, neat and tidy.
Gee Wr1

Postby Steveyk » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:54 am

Gee Wr1 wrote:Rather than harness's what about these http://www.cg-lock.co.uk/ clamp you in place using standard seat belts, neat and tidy.

Have one of these in the 1 and one in my van. Reduces back pain and keeps you strapped in like a harness, only you can still reach the stereo and heater! Recommend them to anyone :D
There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.
Steveyk

Postby MUNK » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:46 am

Have heard rumours recently that harness,s fitted this Way can end up with you busting your neck even after a small bump due to lack of movement!! Should be fitted using a harness bar so straps are more horizontal to shoulders... Instead of pulling down on them? Allowing allowing slightly movement on impact???
"you can do it if you special brew it!!"
MUNK

Postby asperformance » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:24 am

with a harness you dont want movement as it has no inertia reel to take up any slack...........

the issue with too severe an angle on the straps is that they can in extreme cases cause stress on the back of the seat and potentially snap the back..........(we are talking over 45-50deg)
ASPerformance
PFC BRAKES, PAGID, MOTUL, FERODO, BREMBO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA
online shop!!
asperformance

Postby MUNK » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:56 pm

Consider myself bollocked then... :cry:
MUNK

Postby BIG"E" » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:42 pm

MUNK wrote:Consider myself bollocked then... :cry:

Yes what a muppet. lol.
BIG"E"

Postby MUNK » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:10 pm

Oi gearbox!! Give it arrest:-)
MUNK

Postby delrodney » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:49 am

Gee Wr1 wrote:Rather than harness's what about these http://www.cg-lock.co.uk/ clamp you in place using standard seat belts, neat and tidy.

thanks - i'll give this a try i reckon. :wink:
Trev
Your ego is writing cheques your body can't cash!
WR #47
delrodney

Re: harness to replace standard seatbelt

Postby hightower » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:59 am

The MSA regulations state that (if i remember right ) that the angle from the seat seatbelt runner(hole in the seat) to the mounting point has to be no more than 15 degrees as a steep angle (like the one you have) in an accident pull you down into the seat rather than holding you back and can cause you spinal damage.
It is also worth noting that if you are of the taller variety the holes in the seat should be above your shoulder if you are going to fit harnesses as if not your shoulder will take all the forces that are being applied in an accident rather than the seat and will in turn compress you spine.

I am 6'6" so had to go down to demon tweeks to get fitted for a seat for my race car and have an extra bar welded onto the cage to run the harness over as mine was initially fixed like yours.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk17 ... /image.jpg

the harness also, as already stated, have to be properly tight when driving as the impact can be quite sever if loose. (my uncles one was not fully tight and he flipped his rage buggy and broke his back)

they look good but not always the safest.
Gracing the drive.....BMW M3 E92 with all the toys!/Integra DC5/ Integra DC2 race car/BMW X5
gone...Impreza RB320 No 112
gone...Impreza WR1 No 84
gone...Civic Type R EP3
gone...Seat Leon Cupra 225
gone...Civic Type R EP3
gone...(shed with weels)
hightower

Re: harness to replace standard seatbelt

Postby simon.r » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:20 am

Or you can just tell her - does she know how lucky she is to be seated in a WR1.... and buy a bus pass if she doesnt like it.

Or wouldnt that go down well???

Simon
simon.r

Postby Alonzospiz » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:08 am

i see what ur saying, if it does still go off when u have a harness i could see about turning it off... like i said i was jus thinking that yall were jus not going to wear a seatbelt...

Im sure its just a simple audio speaker some where in the dash... right?

___

XRumer 12.0.16 + SocPlugin: the BEST software for Facebook / VK / Forums / Blogs promotion!
Alonzospiz

Return to Tuning and styling On the WR1