Login    Register

Mapping my car, any recommendations

What bits are you adding to your car? A Map ? a Induction Kit ?
Tell us more...

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Mapping my car, any recommendations

Postby mckenzie97k » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:13 pm

Well I have read a few posts and have decided I should get my car re mapped. Any one have any recommendations from experience.
I would love to hear your thoughts
HAD MORE CARS THAN I CAN REMEMBER......
THE BEST WERE ALWAYS THE FAST ONES!

AND NOW THE PROUD OWNER OF A BEAST!
mckenzie97k

Postby davetwr1 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:50 pm

hi mate you can try teg sport [town end garage] at carnforth they have done a few friends now and been spot on also scoobyclinic at chesterfield i have had work done there price and service 10/10 :lol:
davetwr1

Re: Mapping my car, any recommendations

Postby SteveS » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:47 pm

mckenzie97k wrote:Well I have read a few posts and have decided I should get my car re mapped. Any one have any recommendations from experience.
I would love to hear your thoughts

Unless you have had anything done to the "suck, bang, blow" then leave it well alone and keep your notes for a rainy day. The WR1 in standard set up is all you will ever need unless you regularly track it.

Regards
Steve
SteveS

Postby Megaman » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:02 pm

Hiya,

I had my standard wr1 mapped and the difference isnt night and day as the wr1 is already fairly highly tuned as it is. If you have other mods like 3" exhausts & headers you can get quite a bit more poke out of it on the standard turbo. It does improve responsiveness and feel slightly quicker to drive though. I had an open source map from Duncan (Dynamix) which meant no need for license fees (Ecutek) so this was a cheap option and worked well.

Do you plan on further mods in the next 6 months? If so then save the pennies until after the other bits have been fit.

Induction systems can be counter productive below 400bhp as the wr1 airbox as standard is very good at its job. its really the exhaust and manifold holding things back.

Thanks

Mega
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby mckenzie97k » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:01 am

Hi guys thanks for your reply. Well when I bought the 1 it had already been de-catted,and an exhaust however she still retains the original prodrive rear box. She also has a blitz induction kit and a Bailey bump valve(atmospheric). Being a mechanic I can tell that it's been mapped already as everything drives as it should however, I feel the car may be running a bit rich, smell and black exhaust. And it would just be piece Of mind for me knowing that I have done it and it's right . I also want to take the bling dump valve off and replace it with forge recirculating so I would feel like it was worth it.

mckenzie97k

Postby mckenzie97k » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:31 am

Oh and I forgot to mention im trying to get hold of a standard airbox and wondered if these are just standard sti boxes.

mckenzie97k

Postby CAVEMAN » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:34 am

yep, standard Sti jobbies as most of the car is anyhow.

but being a mechanic you should know that :lol:

re-map would certainly help sure things up and get it running as best it can given the changes you have had.

defo get rid of the dump valve and either fit a good re-circ one or the standard Sti version. Would also get or fit a new fuel pump n tea bag just to make sure - its only pennies by comparison and easy to fit.
CAVEMAN

Postby mckenzie97k » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:56 pm

Yes I did presume the airbox was just an sti job, however I did want to see if anyone new for sure as I didn't have one to start I didn't want to just stick one on and it be wrong, not everyone knows everything lol. My task now is to get some bits and get to work, Duncan at dynamix seems to have done a lot of good work on here, where is he based? Can anyone tell me?

mckenzie97k

Postby CAVEMAN » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:45 pm

just a bit of banter buddy...nothing to take too seriously.

Dunc advertises on here, and floats about on the 22B forum too. Just give him a call, sure he will travel anywhere thats needed mate so wouldn't worry too much.
CAVEMAN

Postby mckenzie97k » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:32 pm

Thanks for the advice caveman, soon as i have the bits I'll give Duncan a call.the sooner the better for me. I'm just conscious of it running right. Can't wait to have it mapped so I know it's right.

mckenzie97k

Postby WR 1mposter » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:03 pm

mckenzie97k wrote:Hi guys thanks for your reply. Well when I bought the 1 it had already been de-catted,and an exhaust however she still retains the original prodrive rear box. She also has a blitz induction kit and a Bailey bump valve(atmospheric). Being a mechanic I can tell that it's been mapped already as everything drives as it should however, I feel the car may be running a bit rich, smell and black exhaust. And it would just be piece Of mind for me knowing that I have done it and it's right . I also want to take the bling dump valve off and replace it with forge recirculating so I would feel like it was worth it.

Why would someone decat, then keep the rest of the o.e system !
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby mckenzie97k » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:48 am

Not sure, the up pipe and centre have been changed but they have kept the prodrive rear on, maybe for noise or it looking standard I'm not sure. I have been looking at blitz nur spec and am very tempted, if any one has one on there's I would love a listen of it.

mckenzie97k

Return to Tuning and styling On the WR1