Login    Register

Simple Stereo upgrade

What bits are you adding to your car? A Map ? a Induction Kit ?
Tell us more...

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Simple Stereo upgrade

Postby Steveyk » Sat May 14, 2011 7:43 am

Just found the easiest way of making the stereo sound ace and thought I'd share it.

I have a JVC head unit for iPod, and decided to find out why the speakers sounded crap. I found that they weren't the standard ones, they were 13cm Impulse components, in custom MDF mounts and the doors have been covered with Dynamat. So why did they sound rubbish? My problem was that the speaker coils and magnets have got wet and rusted, basically seizing the things up and not allowing them to move.

Anyhoo, I bought some new Edge component speakers from Halfrauds for £39, and I also bought (and this is the key) a very slim 6" active subwoofer off of eBay. This will fit snugly under the passenger seat and really beefs up the sound without rattling your fillings out, boy-racer stylee. It also has a remote control so you can adjust it without crawling round in the rear footwell.

I ran the power cable through the huge rubber grommet in the bulkhead behind the washer bottle, then under the plastic kickplate, and under the carpet to the hole where the rear footwell vents come out. I ran the Phono cable and remote cable from the head unit the same way. I fitted the new door speakers (plastic mounts can be found on eBay for a few quid if you still have the original speakers).

The end result is a stereo that sounds fantastic, for no more than about £150 if you bought new speaker mounts aswell. Granted it's not a mobile bass cannon, but that's not what I wanted. Now the sub takes care of the bass frequencies, so you don't overwork the tiny door speakers. it's great!
Steveyk

Postby paul.cowe » Sat May 14, 2011 8:55 pm

got a great sound system it,s a bit big and cumbersome but i,ve to say blitz made a good job of the base+raspy burble.. :D
coweboy 224
paul.cowe

Postby Steveyk » Sun May 15, 2011 7:41 am

:lol: yep, I still can't hear mine over 5 thousand revs...
Steveyk

Return to Tuning and styling On the WR1