Login    Register

Tubular manifold, full system and a re-map

What bits are you adding to your car? A Map ? a Induction Kit ?
Tell us more...

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Tubular manifold, full system and a re-map

Postby pwmanger » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:43 pm

Hi,

ive finaly brought myself a WR1 :D after wanting one for ages.
Its a nice 45,000 mile example completly standard. I fancy a bit more power and was wondering if anyone could give me some figure for BHP against cost and how much power the bottom end can take safley as i will be tracking it.

Ive been looking at a tubular manifold, full system including de-cat and a re-map. Is it worth getting a front mount or uprated intercooler.

thanks

Pete
pwmanger

Postby CAVEMAN » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:03 pm

this has been covered a fair amount already in previous posts, so you might have to hit the search button and do some digging, but here are my thoughts - however others may differ and to be honest probably will knowing this lot!!

The engine is basically the same as a standard STi so the tubular fanimould, exhaust, filter etc..will be good to see say 320-340ish?

The bottom end is good for approx 400 - and so is the top mount intercooler too. You will need new turbo, injectors, remap etc....

Anything above this 400-450 level, then you are talking a re-build with better more reliable components plus the above turbo and injectors...

There are a few running decent power on stock engines...but not what boost this is at, how may miles they have done, and ofcourse how many of these miles are full fat track miles.

Keep it drinking 98 with maybe a bit of meth thrown in and you will be OK for a few months...then the urge for more will kick in.

It doesn't matter how much you have...you will always want more. The trick is knowing when to draw the line and have a good drivers car rather than simply chasing numbers and ruin it.
CAVEMAN

Postby John Mc » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:08 pm

Welcome mate,

If we had a £ for everytime this question was asked, we would have enough for a cuppa tea from a pikey hot dog van.

It depends on who does it and what you want! There are a lot of posts on here if you use the search for "upgrades" etc...

Some people have spent £7-8k to get to 400bhp, others £10k+?? Some have gone really over the top P098939637 - £25k?? to get to 600bhp...

Best to set a budget and stick to it because that is your limiting factor when modding... :lol:
John Mc

Postby Cozzy 481 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:56 pm

Hi there just thought id let you know where im am with mine on relatively low out lay. I had a rolling road done last week and my 1 is running 337bhp.
It is lovley to drive, really good fun at this bhp.To get there we done the following mods;
After burner vortex backbox.
Green air filter.
Re Mapp by Duncan RaceDynamix.
Cost approx £600 all in.
The car also has BC Coilovers and Cuscu strut braces with upgraded front discs and pads and these upgrades changed the car completley (mainly suspension). I asked the same question a while ago and have done a bit of research and basicly i think Caveman is spot on (as usual!).
Been told 380bhp is just nice!
Now where did i put that credit card!
Goodluck let us know.
Bmw 320ci msport
Bmw 323i tour msport
Subaru Impreza wrx sti 03 (new)
wr1 481 (New)
Bmw 530i m sport (Champane Edition)
Shogun (06) SORRY
Bmw 330i m sport
Bought WR1 481 back.(SOLD)
Subaru Tribeca B9 SE7 2007.
Cozzy 481

Postby Micktype WR1 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:37 pm

Really good couple of posts there for you do drool over.

Just to add................. 360 is just right !!! NO increase to boost, RCM full headers through to a backbox, decatted Forge Dump valve as recc by RCM, plus their filter and a remap by Engine Tuner of Plymouth.
Ive run the car for the last 20K miles and its never missed a beat. Trouble is, , I need a new clutch now !

FABULOUS car !
Micktype WR1

Postby MaverickUK82 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:56 pm

What would the benefits be of adding the forge dump valve to the standard WR1? Any - is it a VTA one?
MaverickUK82

Postby pwmanger » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:30 pm

Thanks for the quick replys, ill start bying up the parts i need :) hopefully make 360 bhp when im done
pwmanger

Return to Tuning and styling On the WR1