Login    Register

Panel Filter...

What bits are you adding to your car? A Map ? a Induction Kit ?
Tell us more...

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Panel Filter...

Postby MaverickUK82 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:10 am

Car's booked in to be serviced.

Can somebody clarify a couple of things for me?

1. Why does an STi panel filter 'sap power'?

2. What panel filter should I put it... I was thinking of a green filter or a K&N...
MaverickUK82

Postby 500tie » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:16 pm

At my last service which was last august i had a green panel filter put in and although its not made any performance gains really im sure it breathes a little easier it has made a small difference on my fuel consumption.

On the matter of the STI one sapping power i cant help you fella
Sooty,
Needs a WR1 now his WRX300 is sold
Or a spec D
500tie

Postby Chris B » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:39 pm

The STI filter was tested a while ago and dropped power by approx 6bhp,I think the metal plate over the filter restricts air,but thats just my take on it.
Last edited by Chris B on Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heaven can wait....I'm playing with my scooby.
Chris B

Postby MaverickUK82 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:01 pm

Just ordered a green one from scooby parts... gonna stick it in on monday.
MaverickUK82

Postby Thomo no 11 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:56 pm

Thomo no 11

Postby mark t » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:02 am

Hi there,
i put a k&n panel filter in mine,i also removed the resonator box from the inner wing so now it sucks cold air from the inner wing.
Sounds so much better and will breath easier.try it and if you like it i cut the top off my resonator box off [leaving the 2 x snorkels on and bolt fitting] and put it back on to the inner wing so that it still looks factory and everything fits as it should.
cheers mark
mark t

Postby MaverickUK82 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:08 am

Well, stuck the green filter in last night and have noticed a marked difference in sound, car seems louder and you can indeed hear the recirculating dumpvalve whooshing when you come off the accelerator. Sure the car is quicker too, although, it might be my imagination.

Car's going in for a service tomorrow and they're going to stick it on their rolling road for me. I had it done about 4 months ago and had 3x consistent readouts of 307-309bhp, wonder if i'll get any more, only thing that has been changed is the filter...

will report tomorrow.
MaverickUK82

Postby MaverickUK82 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:10 am

mark t wrote:Hi there,
i put a k&n panel filter in mine,i also removed the resonator box from the inner wing so now it sucks cold air from the inner wing.
Sounds so much better and will breath easier.try it and if you like it i cut the top off my resonator box off [leaving the 2 x snorkels on and bolt fitting] and put it back on to the inner wing so that it still looks factory and everything fits as it should.
cheers mark

Is the resonator box the bit that the filter sits in?

you need to draw it in red crayon for me as I'm not that savvy on the engine....
MaverickUK82

Postby mark t » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:46 pm

hi mate,
the resonator box is in the inner wing.one bolt holding it is next to the airbox and the other bolt is next to the drivers side foglight [easy to get at if you just remove the foglight and youll see it].
turn your drivers side wheel on full lockto the left and remove the two retainers for the wheel arch liner and youll see everything.good luck mate.mark
mark t

Return to Tuning and styling On the WR1