Login    Register

Turbo Pipe Wrapping

What bits are you adding to your car? A Map ? a Induction Kit ?
Tell us more...

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Turbo Pipe Wrapping

Postby MaverickUK82 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:08 am

I've read a minor performance boost can be obtained by wrapping the manifold and up-pipes.

Is this something I can do myself? I would like to do this but i'm not really mechanical at all and i've i've got to start taking major things apart to get to the relevant piping/etc then I don't want to do it...
MaverickUK82

Re: Turbo Pipe Wrapping

Postby rocko » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:24 pm

MaverickUK82 wrote:I've read a minor performance boost can be obtained by wrapping the manifold and up-pipes.

Is this something I can do myself? I would like to do this but i'm not really mechanical at all and i've i've got to start taking major things apart to get to the relevant piping/etc then I don't want to do it...

Yeh you can buy heat warp .. but try get decent stuff .. and heat proof ties, or you could even get them ceramic coated .. or even both coated and warped,..

Yeh you need manifold off and up pipe off ..

you can do it your self but not as easy as it looks .. coating coats around £200..
rocko

Postby MaverickUK82 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:33 pm

take it all off then take it somewhere to get coated? Is that ceramic coating? Am I going to notice any performace increases by doing that?
MaverickUK82

Postby Foley » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:57 pm

Your best to get it ceramic coated i had my last manifold ceramic coated,
If you getting ceramic coated then these guys are best they do F1 cars and WRC car,

http://www.zircotec.com/
Focus ST's rule!!!
Foley

Postby MaverickUK82 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:29 am

Did you notice any performance gains by having it coated?
MaverickUK82

Postby CAVEMAN » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:31 am

Mav,

there is a few benefits of doing this mate...

the first is to try keep the heat in the escaping gas, as hotter air air flows faster thus improves breathing and helps increase overall VE by aiding the intake.

The second benefit is that it reduces heat soak into the engine bay and helps keep the charge temps cooler - cooler air is denser thus contains more oxygen to combine with fuel for a bigger bang. You could also apply the wrap to your intake system to help reduce the heat soak even further.

I am guessing that you may see a slight difference, but wouldn't expect much if it is still a standard engine with TMIC and stock exhaust..

I would do this only in conjunction with other mods, such as FMIC, exhaust or new turbo etc...
CAVEMAN

Return to Tuning and styling On the WR1