Login    Register

Performance Friction quote for fronts, any good?

What bits are you adding to your car? A Map ? a Induction Kit ?
Tell us more...

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Performance Friction quote for fronts, any good?

Postby Ferret WR1 » Sun May 10, 2009 1:45 pm

My local Subaru approved service centre quoted me the following for Performance Friction on the front:

Disc £248.50 each
Pads £122.91 for the pair
Labour £89.10

Total £815 including VAT

Good price?

Based on Zen Performance prices, seems good to me:
http://www.zenperformance.co.uk/p/product/b

Should I also consider 5.1 brake fluid and braided hoses???

All feedback appreciated.
Ferret WR1

Postby The Swede » Sun May 10, 2009 3:33 pm

1. Pointless having upgraded brakes when your hoses will still flex and the liquid will boil any time you push a bit.

So first fit the hoses and the put proper liquid in. That will get more out of your brakes.

2. I have been running the PF's on the Evo. Despite being "reasonably heavy" on brakes, they did an outstanding job.

I would recommend them any time.
The Swede

Postby Gee Wr1 » Sun May 10, 2009 5:43 pm

That price is ok. Igot mine from Zen & got a deal on buying front discs, front pads, rear pads, braided hoses & 5.1 fluid. There's not much between the prices as most of the discount i got came of the postage(which is always more expensive to the highlands)

Fitted them myself apart from the hoses which i got fitted by the dealers when it got serviced. Fitting discs & pads is quite easy actually in a couple of hours.
Gee Wr1

Postby The Swede » Sun May 10, 2009 6:28 pm

Gee Wr1 wrote:That price is ok. Igot mine from Zen & got a deal on buying front discs, front pads, rear pads, braided hoses & 5.1 fluid. There's not much between the prices as most of the discount i got came of the postage(which is always more expensive to the highlands)

Fitted them myself apart from the hoses which i got fitted by the dealers when it got serviced. Fitting discs & pads is quite easy actually in a couple of hours.

Do you have children? And does your wife allow them with you in the car?? :?
The Swede

Postby Gee Wr1 » Sun May 10, 2009 8:27 pm

Nope no kids just a dog :lol:

Why you think i'm not capable of fitting a set of discs & pads myself? Come on it's not that hard or complicated to do if you have half a brain & are handy with a spanner, just look at the kinda people who fit brakes at the like of kwick fit if the can do it with their lack of brain cells & masses of spots even you could do it Swede :lol: But then again if i mind you had problems fitting or removing mud flaps so maybe not in your case :lol: Oh & it takes a bit of muscle to remove the caliper bolts so you might fail on that to :lol:

Are you just all theory & knowledge about cars but not practical?
Gee Wr1

Postby WR 1mposter » Sun May 10, 2009 9:36 pm

Gee Wr1 wrote:Nope no kids just a dog :lol:

Why you think i'm not capable of fitting a set of discs & pads myself? Come on it's not that hard or complicated to do if you have half a brain & are handy with a spanner, just look at the kinda people who fit brakes at the like of kwick fit if the can do it with their lack of brain cells & masses of spots even you could do it Swede :lol: But then again if i mind you had problems fitting or removing mud flaps so maybe not in your case :lol: Oh & it takes a bit of muscle to remove the caliper bolts so you might fail on that to :lol:

:lol2: :lol2:

Quality Gee !

Sweede does need some mister muscle :lol:
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby The Swede » Sun May 10, 2009 10:44 pm

Gee Wr1 wrote:Nope no kids just a dog :lol:

You're practical, I'm theory, you have a dog, I don't and you have no kids and I do...

That's 3 pieces of good news in one evening ! :mrgreen:

As for cars, I keep myself to driving them and letting people who want to make a living out of it to work on them.
The Swede

Postby Ferret WR1 » Mon May 11, 2009 3:13 pm

The Swede wrote:1. Pointless having upgraded brakes when your hoses will still flex and the liquid will boil any time you push a bit.

So first fit the hoses and the put proper liquid in. That will get more out of your brakes.

2. I have been running the PF's on the Evo. Despite being "reasonably heavy" on brakes, they did an outstanding job.

Thanks, I think I will be getting Performance Friction plus the 5.1 brake fluid and braided hoses :D
Ferret WR1

Postby dynamix » Mon May 11, 2009 6:19 pm

Ferret WR1 wrote:
The Swede wrote:1. Pointless having upgraded brakes when your hoses will still flex and the liquid will boil any time you push a bit.

Thanks, I think I will be getting Performance Friction plus the 5.1 brake fluid and braided hoses :D

good decision

and it is easy to fit them
Duncan : www.racedynamix.com
email: duncan@racedynamix.com
tel: 07540 185754
Custom Remaps for: All Impreza/Forester 2001-2010 | Classics 92-96 (ESL) | Syvecs (Solaris) | Simtek
dynamix

Postby Ferret WR1 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:01 am

UPDATE

Got additional quote for Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines and Dot 5.1 silicone brake fluid for £120, bring the total to £953 included VAT. Still good deal?

That's for:
Performance Friction 2 piece floating discs x2
Performance Friction Carbon Metallic Pads

I've noticed on Performance Friction website they have a Z rated pads, which one should I consider the Carbon Metallic I've already been quoted for or these Z rated pads?

Your advice is much appreciated.
Ferret WR1

Postby CAVEMAN » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:45 am

Definitely worth it mate...I can't believe just how much difference they made.

Got the SS Goodridge hoses too, but instead of the 5.1 fluid I got the 551 racing fluid.

see here...http://www.apracing.com/info/info.asp?s ... Details_48

get it done!!
CAVEMAN

Postby Ferret WR1 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:23 am

I will be next week :D

The place I'm getting it done, only has 5.1 which they use on all the Subarus, I'll asked about the 551 but I got feeling they will say they don't stock.

Know anything about the difference between PF Carbon Metallic pads and the Z rated pads, which ones do you have?
Ferret WR1

Postby CAVEMAN » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:41 am

To be honest I am not 100% sure, but I think they are the Z-Rated ones.

They are my first set, so have no comparison to the normal Ceramic ones. But from the PF website, it says these are near silent and don't give off as much dust. Which mine definatley do not do!

They do squeal a bit once warmed up, but I like that to be honest...means you've been giving it the beans!

All rally cars go into the time check and pull into service with squeaky brakes!!
CAVEMAN

Postby Ferret WR1 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:08 am

My 1 is at Subaru today getting front brakes done :D :

Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dot 5.1 silicone brake fluid

Looking forward to getting her back this evening 8)
Ferret WR1

Postby John Mc » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:16 am

Ferret WR1 wrote:My 1 is at Subaru today getting front brakes done :D :

Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dot 5.1 silicone brake fluid

Looking forward to getting her back this evening 8)

Should have taken them to Adam at Autotechnica... I'm sure he'd be more reasonable on the fitting charges than the stealer... :lol:

You got some serious braking planned soon??
[Just incase this gets lost in translation, I am not slandering you, I know people can be sensitive to these harsh words.]
John Mc

Postby John Mc » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:28 am

CAVEMAN wrote:Definitely worth it mate...I can't believe just how much difference they made.

Got the SS Goodridge hoses too, but instead of the 5.1 fluid I got the 551 racing fluid.

see here...http://www.apracing.com/info/info.asp?s ... Details_48

get it done!!

What is the difference between this and Dot 5.1? As far as I can read, you can't use Dot 5.1 with Mineral Oil systems.... it doesn't say anything on the 551 about this other than compatible with Magnesium systems...
[Just incase this gets lost in translation, I am not slandering you, I know people can be sensitive to these harsh words.]
John Mc

Postby Ferret WR1 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:21 am

John Mc Tiddler (Dogging Expert) wrote:Should have taken them to Adam at Autotechnica... I'm sure he'd be more reasonable on the fitting charges than the stealer... :lol:

You got some serious braking planned soon??

I think I got quoted reasonable price for labour and it's just round the corner from me.

No serious braking plans, just my front were getting worn and need replacing soon ish. Rather then replacing with same Brembo, I went for PF as recommended by many members on this site and got them sooner rather then later :P
Ferret WR1

Postby Ferret WR1 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:16 am

My 1 now has PF disc and pads. Subaru said the brakes will be "soft", allow them to bed in, however I didn't relise how "soft", braking is quite poor at moment, is this normal???

Also since having my brakes done, my geo out again, is this expected???
Ferret WR1

Postby CAVEMAN » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:14 pm

did they bleed them properly?

Mine were great right from the start! They are a little squeaky sometimes, but other than that the pedal feel is great and now they are bedded in they are even better.

If you give them 50 miles or so of normal driving then really stand of them hard at serious speed...then another 50 miles, then another stand.

Beds them in nicely :lol:
CAVEMAN

Postby Ferret WR1 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:58 pm

CAVEMAN wrote:did they bleed them properly?

Mine were great right from the start! They are a little squeaky sometimes, but other than that the pedal feel is great and now they are bedded in they are even better.

If you give them 50 miles or so of normal driving then really stand of them hard at serious speed...then another 50 miles, then another stand.

Beds them in nicely :lol:

I would assume so, as they did do a brake fluid change.

I've only done 50 miles or so, will give it at least 300 miles before I step on them unless it's an emergency :?

I'm hoping as they bed in, they will get better.
Ferret WR1

Postby CAVEMAN » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:00 pm

hope so too mate, but they should be much better than stock straight out of the box.
CAVEMAN

Postby Ferret WR1 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:53 pm

Only done 300 miles with the new brakes, starting to brake quite well now :) Still not fully tested under heavy braking, will cover some more miles before trying that.
Ferret WR1

Postby CAVEMAN » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:11 am

good news, glad to hear they are OK.

I would stand on them soon for sure. Won't do any damage at all, you might hear a strange sound if you do, but this is just the holes in the disks whirring through the pads.

Also, after major breaking when you sit a lights and stuff always use the handbrake. If you keep your foot on the brake to hold the car stationary, then all the residual heat in your pads get transferred to a small spot on the disc and could possibly warp it.

It is always good practice to do this anyways, but especially after heavy use.
CAVEMAN

Return to Tuning and styling On the WR1