Login    Register

Track Day Wheels and Tyres

What bits are you adding to your car? A Map ? a Induction Kit ?
Tell us more...

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Track Day Wheels and Tyres

Postby John Mc » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:19 am

Assuming that you'd want to keep the standard tyres and wheels separate for track and road use....

Which wheels and tyres would you get if you wanted a 'track day' set?
John Mc

Postby RobinSherwood » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:42 am

How about finding a set of 17" STi wheels for sale when someone has upgraded to 18"s?

Then if you want to drive to the circuit on the tyres I would suggest Toyo 888's as road legal track orientated tyres.
RobinSherwood

Postby John Mc » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:23 am

What about if you wanted to change wheels at the track and not drive on the road with them? Would you still use toyos?
John Mc

Postby danr55 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:49 pm

John Mc Tiddler (Dogging Expert) wrote:What about if you wanted to change wheels at the track and not drive on the road with them? Would you still use toyos?

If you are thinking more track focused than a 888 tyre, you're looking at slicks, for which you need a roll cage most of the time..
danr55
Site Owner

Postby robwils » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:15 pm

Do 17in STI wheels clear brakes OK - I thought they didn't :? :?

Might want to get a set for winter use if car stays.
robwils

Postby danr55 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:21 pm

robwils wrote:Do 17in STI wheels clear brakes OK - I thought they didn't :? :?

Might want to get a set for winter use if car stays.

they will clear brembos, but not an AP 355mm kit. Just make sure offset and everything is correct. If you go for some STi wheels in 17s they will of course fit, and fit over brembos
danr55
Site Owner

Postby RobinSherwood » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:09 pm

Bearing in mind a number of race championships have Toyo 888's as their control tyre they are really a pretty good choice for track day use.
RobinSherwood

Postby Megaman » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:18 am

Yer the 888 seems to be the best track tyre although if you use it as an every day tyre they dont last very long.

With my new brake kit i would have to find some cheap 18" replacement wheels with toyo tyres if i were to do the same.

Only problem with doing as you suggest is fitting 4 wheels in your car without getting the seats filthy to from and on the track.... If you put a blanket on the back seat or builders sheet, the tyres slide about on track as a focus st member found out - nutbar....

If you are brave or go with others then when you are on track you can leave the original tyres at the side of the track with them... surprisingly i know three people who have had wheels nicked at tracks in the UK whilst they were on track when they turned up on their own and left their original wheels at the side of the track... :?

...This is why most drive 888's to the track then change when they get home back to normal road use tyres before it rains...
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Return to Tuning and styling On the WR1