Login    Register

HID Headlights

What bits are you adding to your car? A Map ? a Induction Kit ?
Tell us more...

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
HID Headlights

Postby eck » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:44 pm

Was looking to upgrade the 1's bulbs but think a HID conversion kit would make more sense.
For anyone who has already done this could you clarify which H size to get. Would i be correct also in thinking that you can get a kit that will change both the dipped and main beam.
Been reading stories also about some people having an issue with MOT's but it appears this more common with the cheaper imported brands.
Any input would be helpfull.

Ta
The WR1 be safe in the knowledge that, short of strapping yourself to an Acme rocket, there's no quicker way to get from A to B.
eck

Postby chiroman » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:02 am

I can thoroughly recommend the HIDs. Did main and dipped, which is two kits, from Scoobnet Group Buy they were £205. They're from Xenon Light Source in China and quality is good, although had to return one faulty igniter box to China, got replacement in 10days. Now been on car nearly two years with no probs. The main beam, which many don't fit, is fantastic. Passed two MOTs ok. Do it.

Mike
chiroman

Postby eck » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:22 pm

chiroman wrote:I can thoroughly recommend the HIDs. Did main and dipped, which is two kits, from Scoobnet Group Buy they were £205. They're from Xenon Light Source in China and quality is good, although had to return one faulty igniter box to China, got replacement in 10days. Now been on car nearly two years with no probs. The main beam, which many don't fit, is fantastic. Passed two MOTs ok. Do it.

Mike

Is it a H4 fittment that is reqd for both?
The WR1 be safe in the knowledge that, short of strapping yourself to an Acme rocket, there's no quicker way to get from A to B.
eck

Postby rocko » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:00 pm

I got HID, convertion .. no prob with mot.. had them on for 12 months now ...

But you will need a kit which will come with its own relay wireing kit ..

A mate of mine can get them for £60 now on a group buy .. fink i paid £100

Go for 6000 k

p.s that good a fitted some to my sprinter van too :D
rocko

Postby Megaman » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:18 pm

Hiya,

I considered a HID conversion kit as theyre cheap on ebay and im used to them on my old car... I read up on it and spoke to a mate about it and found a couple of issues with them...

First is that HIDs are only legal on your car if they are auto leveling - so not to blind people as they are feckin bright.

Secondly and this is the one that most people don't know/ignore and can get 3 points on the license for is that they legally have to have washer jets to clean them.

Ive got a mate who put a HID conversion kit on his old Audit A4 which was auto levelling. His local garage failed the MOT due to not having washer jets for the headlights. He was warned by the audi garage that if the police had stopped him they could fine and point him for the offence.

Worth reading up on before you splash out on any HID conversion kits... Google will reveal all :)
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby eck » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:45 am

Guys

Ive read loads of posts on HID's on various other Impreza sites and there is so much conflicking views/experiences on the subject :?
Maybe just go back to a bulb upgrade.
eck

Postby chiroman » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:49 pm

Believe it or not it's in the WR1 handbook section 12-13, High beam HB3, Lo beam H1.

Take a look at this - dare I say it the BMW Car Club forum http://www.bmwcarclubforum.co.uk/forum/ ... sp?TID=674

It would be interesting to know whether the JDM Imprezas etc have the washer jets on their HID's.

Just turn the beam height adjuster to lowest setting and you won't be troubled by 'flashers'.

M
chiroman

Postby eck » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:19 pm

chiroman wrote:Believe it or not it's in the WR1 handbook section 12-13, High beam HB3, Lo beam H1.

Take a look at this - dare I say it the BMW Car Club forum http://www.bmwcarclubforum.co.uk/forum/ ... sp?TID=674

I quite believe bulb size is in the manual just mine is 4000miles away right now :D
Some interesting info in the BMW article also.
Looks like the HID's are back in the running, 1 or 2 kits :?
eck

Postby Clark » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:37 pm

HID's were one of the first things i did to my 1 when i bought it in the summer, had them in my Leon and they're one of the best mods you can do. Piece of piss to fit too.

I went for 6000K and as long as you have them adjusted properly then you'll never blind oncoming traffic, i've never been flashed once 8)
Going round corners just got a whole lot faster...
Clark

Postby chiroman » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:40 pm

4k a long read!

Get 2 kits, main really good. Two ballast boxes in front of O/S turret & two ballast boxes directly below battery under inner wing, used relays provided and line fuses with feed from adjacent battery ideally would like fuses and relays in small waterproof box but couldn't find one small enough so relays taped up with harness.
Need to waterproof fuses etc or corrosion will stop lights working!

M
chiroman

Postby firehawk » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:53 am

chiroman wrote:
It would be interesting to know whether the JDM Imprezas etc have the washer jets on their HID's.

My 04 JDM STi has HID's but no washer jets, but i belive it has self levelers The Hawkeye JDM's have washer jets, so maybe its an age thing. Never had a problem with the MOT either

Although it failed its first MOT as the bulb was not seated properly so scattered beam. The continentals dont like them when you go abroad though LOL even with beam deflectors I was getting flashed when we went to the ring LOL
firehawk

Return to Tuning and styling On the WR1