Login    Register

Rear diff problem?

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Rear diff problem?

Postby tw9evo » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:02 am

Sorry I've not been on the site for some time but I was after some advice - When pulling away or lifting off the accelerator and then reapplying I get a rather loud click coming from the rear and there seems to be some slack. This has been getting progressively louder/worse for some time but the garage I use have always maintained that this is standard and that they all do it, as my warranty is just about to end I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem? Any advice would be hugely appreciated. Cheers, Philip
tw9evo

Re: Rear diff problem?

Postby The Swede » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:17 am

tw9evo wrote:Sorry I've not been on the site for some time but I was after some advice - When pulling away or lifting off the accelerator and then reapplying I get a rather loud click coming from the rear and there seems to be some slack. This has been getting progressively louder/worse for some time but the garage I use have always maintained that this is standard and that they all do it, as my warranty is just about to end I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem? Any advice would be hugely appreciated. Cheers, Philip

1. Clearly not standard.

2. You garage is trying to avoid the issue. Make sure when you go in they log that youask for this to be checked and get it on the bill. This way you can show that the problem was there before the warranty ran out.

3. Call Subaru customer Care and ask for another garage to refer you to. Send them a fax so you can log your complaint in writing. Explain clearly that you are suspecting the garage to try to dodge the warranty and that the problem has become more pronounced over time.

This way, you are covered.
The Swede

Postby tw9evo » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:36 am

Cheers for the advice Swede I shall give it a try. Out of interest how's your lad getting on with his karting, only ask as my boy is having a go and desperately wants his own kart - bye-bye ££££'s
tw9evo

Postby The Swede » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:38 pm

tw9evo wrote:Cheers for the advice Swede I shall give it a try. Out of interest how's your lad getting on with his karting, only ask as my boy is having a go and desperately wants his own kart - bye-bye ££££'s

I am considering getting Hannu a kart, but might wait until after winter and when custody case is a tad settled.

A good kart is indeed approx 2000,-GBP.

We'll see. Considering letting him have a go around Spa after they closed at 18h... :mrgreen:
The Swede

Postby ScoobyDan » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:00 pm

Is it definately coming from the diff ?
The noise you are describing sounds very similar to the rear shock issue that most of us have suffered.
ScoobyDan

Postby Rooter75 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:37 pm

your rear pads could be moving in the caliper, mine did this until i put new rear pads in then it stopped. could be same thing mate.

think there is a retaining clip for the pads you could try changing as well?
Rooter75

Postby tw9evo » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:31 pm

Thanks for the replies and sorry to take so long responding. It's definitely not the rear shocks as I've already had those done although the garage did need to replace the rear drive shafts and the diff before trying the shocks :wtf: Definitely not the brakes either but my fronts make that noise. Off to the garage later today to see what they say.
tw9evo

Postby Dipsy » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:02 pm

I get this noise on a 05 Jdm Sti only at low revs .But i have spherical bearing drop links i had them fitted last year July time so i think the back ones are worn and giving me this problem
05 REG JDM Sti zl
Dipsy

Postby WR 1mposter » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:25 pm

Drop links perhaps !
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Return to Tech Help