Login    Register

Issues When Turning At Low Speed

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Issues When Turning At Low Speed

Postby Elliot » Sun May 18, 2008 7:34 am

Hi All,

Not sure if this is normal WR1 behaviour or not but thought I would check. Had my WR1 for a couple of months now and have noticed that when I pull out of junctions or turn whilst moving forwards at low speed, the car tends to judder and the back end feels like it really doesn't want to turn. It seems to me like the rear diff isn't allowing the rear wheels to spin freely.

My old WRX never did this but not sure if this is normal for the WR1 or if this might be a problem. Tried messing around with the settings of the DCCD but makes no difference.

Don't find any problems when pulling away in a straight line or when reversing while turning either.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome.

Cheers
Elliot
Elliot

Postby Azyman » Sun May 18, 2008 4:39 pm

is the DCCD in auto when the noise is made?
Regs
Geoff
Azyman

Postby Megaman » Sun May 18, 2008 8:50 pm

To test it stick the DCCD into manual and have it on fully open / free mode (the bottom green light on the dash).
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby wr1.305 » Sun May 18, 2008 10:31 pm

i recommend leaving the DCCD in auto at low speeds. i had the same problem and shat myself, but i had the front diff locked at the time. subaru say it should be in AUTO at low speeds. ill speak to my mate who works for subaru and find out the ins and outs as to what causes it.
wr1.305

Postby Designerman » Mon May 19, 2008 9:28 pm

If this is happening when in auto or the diff. adjuster wound fully back(green circle at bottom of indicator lights)then there is a problem.

The noises and juddering are normal during tight manouvers in all other positions of the diff. adjuster. These should only be used on open road situations or on track.
Designerman

Postby Elliot » Tue May 20, 2008 10:34 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.

Up until now it seems to have been the same if I have the DCCD in Auto mode or open fully in manual mode. I had another go tonight in the different modes and the manual mode seemed much better but as soon as I put it back in Auto the problem returned.

It's due its 50K service now anyway so I guess I will just have to get the dealer to look at this at the same time !

Cheers
Elliot
Elliot

Postby Megaman » Wed May 21, 2008 12:28 pm

certainly sounds diff related... diff is safe at low speeds in manual open or auto mode. its locked mode at low speeds that causes issues.
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby dynamix » Wed May 21, 2008 6:37 pm

Normal and totally ok. It is what they are supposed to do.

Mine has done it from new and still does it - I quite like it too :D
Duncan : www.racedynamix.com
email: duncan@racedynamix.com
tel: 07540 185754
Custom Remaps for: All Impreza/Forester 2001-2010 | Classics 92-96 (ESL) | Syvecs (Solaris) | Simtek
dynamix

Return to Tech Help