Login    Register

Hesitant acceleration

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Hesitant acceleration

Postby Audio-Fusion » Fri May 16, 2008 4:26 pm

Guys,

I hope that someone may be able to help....

My car is coming up to the 30k service and for the last few thousand miles I have noticed some strange behaviour. The first is that the gear change seems to be a bit lumpy. When you change gear it seems very difficult to judge the amount of throttle needed to smooth the change. It may be that I am useless, however I didn't used to struggle with this and I have done 28K in the car.

The second issue is that acceleration in 1st, 2nd and 3rd at low speeds seems to be a bit hesistant until the revs climb a bit. The best I can describe this is when you drive around a car park in first, the throttle is very senstive to movement and if you aren't careful, you end up kangaroo'ing. Mine seems to have started doing this in 2nd and 3rd too.

I have suspected things had changed recently but when you drive it every day it is difficult to say. I have had a hire car for work this week and driving the car today, definatley notice the above and know that it didn't used to happen.

It may be that it just needs a service but I am a bit worried as the warranty is up in 6 weeks and I don't want Subaru to claim that there isn't anything wrong and then get stuck with a repair bill....

Anyone?
Ex 05 Sti PPP Type UK
300 BHP, 298 FtLb

Now

Vw Scirocco GT
140 BHP
Audio-Fusion

Postby marky mark » Fri May 16, 2008 8:24 pm

MAF or Lambda sensor, From what you describe most likely the Lambda...
If JP is Roland Rat, them I am Errol the Hamster... His number 1 fan.
marky mark
JPs little helper

Postby Audio-Fusion » Fri May 16, 2008 8:40 pm

Cheers Mark....

I was waiting for you to reply :lol:

Looks like I will be calling in the week then.

Stupid question but what does the lambda sensor do?

Ta
Ex 05 Sti PPP Type UK
300 BHP, 298 FtLb

Now

Vw Scirocco GT
140 BHP
Audio-Fusion

Postby marky mark » Fri May 16, 2008 10:41 pm

It measures the oxygen content in the exhaust gas. The ECU can tell from this content if the Air/Fuel ratio is correct (i.e is running weak or lean). ECU will then adjust this ratio until sensor says engine is a happy bunny again.

If the sensor is sending spurious readings, your AFR's can be all over the place.
If JP is Roland Rat, them I am Errol the Hamster... His number 1 fan.
marky mark
JPs little helper

Return to Tech Help