Login    Register

Power Delivery

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Power Delivery

Postby Megaman » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:41 pm

Hi Guys,

I have noticed that the full power / torque doesnt always seem to kick in top end. The car always revs okay as normal but the very top end kick doesnt seem to be always consistant.

For example when the car was cold this morning, engine temp just warming up, put my foot down and it got louder but no real big kick as id normally expect.

Does the car limit power until up to optimum teperature?

Alternatively does the car react better to gradual acceleration over simply flooring the pedal?

Secondly, whats the best way to get a quick start with the car? I know you are going to think here is another boy racer but thats not the case. I was at a roundabout today and wanted to quickly get out as it was a busy roundabout. I rev'd the engine to 1500-2000rpm, put it in first and floored it. The car started going, then it slowed down and very slowly picked up speed, then when it hit around 3-4k rpm it went like a rocket. Obviously I dont want to burn out the clutch or anything so i thought id ask and see if you guys rev it quite high to pull out quickly of places without damaging the clutch. Any suggestions would be good.

Thanks

Mega
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby dano17439 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:37 pm

dont think the turbo will spool as well if the engine is still cold. i always leave it until it reach norm temp then add on a few more mins before giving it some beans

Fast getaways...........yes if you get it wrong it will bog down, try launching at 3-4000 rpm........practice makes perfect!
dano17439

Postby Megaman » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:41 pm

is the clutch ok for launching at that sort of RPM?

Cheers

Mega
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby dano17439 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:44 pm

Yeah although you might get a burning smell sometimes. Its good to launch sometimes to remove any crap that might be on the plate. Imprezas sometimes suffer with judery clutches and a quick fix is a spirited launch

6000rpm and sidestepping is however not recommended
dano17439

Postby Designerman » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:08 am

The ECU is programmed to limit boost until the engine has warmed up.

Quick get aways take a bit of practice to get the balance of revs and clutch just right, as the the four wheel drive has so much traction.
Designerman

Return to Tech Help