Login    Register

Have I got turbo surge?

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Have I got turbo surge?

Postby welshWR1 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:39 pm

I've got a loud fluttering noise from under the bonet from around 3 to 4K revs. If I'm driving through town, it's sounds amplified through the exhaust system as well. I've taken it to my subaru dealer who hasen't the faintest idea what it is, and says that the computer readouts show optimum output from the engine, and show no faults. The car is standard with no mods. What is this noise? is it normal? does every wr1 have it?
Please help!
welshWR1

Postby danr55 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:47 pm

that's not normal!

I get a bit of turbo surge, but mine is modded and it's only at much lower revs where, for example in 6th gear you put you foot flat down, there's a bit of judder sometimes unless you ease on the power and this is gone by 3k revs, not sure if this is the same as what you have, but doesnt sounds like it, not at 4k revs anyway the turbo should be spooled up by then ?

I'm sure someone more technical will shed some light :wink:
danr55
Site Owner

Postby WR 1mposter » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:19 am

Not heard of turbo surge on a standard WR1, there normally on modded cars with 3" decat system and standard turbo !
But I may be wrong

I'm sure someone will be along to deny or confirm !
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby welshWR1 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:11 am

Thanks guy's. I'm only guessing that it's tubro surge though! It could be something totally different? The car was bought initially by my father, who drove it for 5000 miles, and I bought it from him as soon as he got his rb320. I can remenber hearing the sound soon after he sent the car back for the recall-to change the split hoses! Could this have something to do with it? The sound never bothered him as he never pushed the car, but noise is really getting to me, and I want to solve it.
welshWR1

Postby WR 1mposter » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:56 am

It possibly could be a turbo hose that as come lose try tightening all the intercooler hoses jubilee clips, this may cause a slight stutter.
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby marky mark » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:41 pm

The VF35's are known for bad surge, but more as an upgrade on a lower spec car than they are as an o.e fitment on a WR1 ect.

Do you have a DV fitted at all?
If JP is Roland Rat, them I am Errol the Hamster... His number 1 fan.
marky mark
JPs little helper

Postby hightower » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:27 am

my car has similar noise at 4k revs is it not the turbo dumping excess boost pressure once full boost has been reached when foot it hard down. does this not stop back pressure on the turbo when foot is lifted. my car does not have a dump valve it is just standard.
may be wrong but everything is fine with mine.......so far.
Gracing the drive.....BMW M3 E92 with all the toys!/Integra DC5/ Integra DC2 race car/BMW X5
gone...Impreza RB320 No 112
gone...Impreza WR1 No 84
gone...Civic Type R EP3
gone...Seat Leon Cupra 225
gone...Civic Type R EP3
gone...(shed with weels)
hightower

Postby welshWR1 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:52 pm

No, I've not got a dump valve! Would you recommend I installed one?
welshWR1

Postby marky mark » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:14 pm

welshWR1 wrote:No, I've not got a dump valve! Would you recommend I installed one?

No. they are a waste of money and make you look like a c0ck. You think you will look cool but in reality you are just making silly noises to draw attention to yourself in the same vien as you did when you put a whoppe cushion under your teachers cushion at school.

I was more thinking along the lines that an aftermarket DV could be the problem.

Have a good look at the little black vacuum pipe that comes from the DV and goes to the inlet manifold. Trace it along and check it is not kinked or damaged, or trapped under something.
If JP is Roland Rat, them I am Errol the Hamster... His number 1 fan.
marky mark
JPs little helper

Postby welshWR1 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:34 pm

Good news guys, fluttering noise has been rectified!

I looked at the vacum lines first of all, found no problems. I then had a look at the pipe between intercooler and manifold, and as I moved the intercooler back and forth, it was obvious that the jubilee clips were loose.

Upon further investigation, I saw that one of the clips had been overtightened at some point-was completely mangled and was'nt holding the pipe at all. The jubilee on the other end of the pipe was ok, but really slack. I replace the damaged jubilee, tightend the other. So I guess the blame lies with the mechanics at subaru-who messed it up

Took it for a little test drive, and problem solved! No more fluttering! I may be wrong, but it feels more potent? Maybe its all in the mind though!

Anyway, WR 1mpostor (aka number 1 moderator), I owe you a pint for pointing it out for me! Many thanks, Mark.
welshWR1

Postby WR 1mposter » Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:08 pm

welshWR1 wrote:Good news guys, fluttering noise has been rectified!

I looked at the vacum lines first of all, found no problems. I then had a look at the pipe between intercooler and manifold, and as I moved the intercooler back and forth, it was obvious that the jubilee clips were loose.

Upon further investigation, I saw that one of the clips had been overtightened at some point-was completely mangled and was'nt holding the pipe at all. The jubilee on the other end of the pipe was ok, but really slack. I replace the damaged jubilee, tightend the other. So I guess the blame lies with the mechanics at subaru-who messed it up

Took it for a little test drive, and problem solved! No more fluttering! I may be wrong, but it feels more potent? Maybe its all in the mind though!

Anyway, WR 1mpostor (aka number 1 moderator), I owe you a pint for pointing it out for me! Many thanks, Mark.

No probs Mark

Glad you sorted the issue :wink:
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Return to Tech Help