Login    Register

Aps cold air kit??

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Aps cold air kit??

Postby bromy2000 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:38 pm

Hey guys wondering if anyone can help me out with this, im thinking of fitting an induction kit, aps cold air kit but i've read that you have to have a remap as the car will run lean, i was wondering as the wr1 has been tweeked a little, is this still the case, as im sure its fueling has to be a little richer than standard so would there still be this problem?? :?

I do plan on a remap sometime in the future but would prefer not to have to spend out on it if its not nessasary at the moment!!

Cheers
bromy2000

Re: Aps cold air kit??

Postby marky mark » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:36 pm

bromy2000 wrote:Hey guys wondering if anyone can help me out with this, im thinking of fitting an induction kit, aps cold air kit but i've read that you have to have a remap as the car will run lean, i was wondering as the wr1 has been tweeked a little, is this still the case, as im sure its fueling has to be a little richer than standard so would there still be this problem?? :?

I do plan on a remap sometime in the future but would prefer not to have to spend out on it if its not nessasary at the moment!!

Cheers

Definetly.

The APS CAIK, -although good - has a nasty bend just before the MAF sensor that really screws air flow up (MAF readings can be 25% different) in that area. Out of all the kits its the one you are least likely to just bolt on and get away with it.

Has your car been mapped before? If so it will only be
If JP is Roland Rat, them I am Errol the Hamster... His number 1 fan.
marky mark
JPs little helper

Postby bromy2000 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:02 pm

Sorry i should have been more clear, by tweeked i mean the wr1 standard has a different ecu which i thought would maybe make the cars fueling higher! and make it run less lean than the standard subaru which suffers with this problem with the aps fitted.

Are there any other induction kits i would be able to use which would avoid heat soak and a remap or is best left alone as the last thing i want is to screw the engine!!
bromy2000

Postby marky mark » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:19 pm

It does not have a different ECU, its identical to the STI one...its just the map that is slightly different.

No, obviously the tweeks to the WR1 map over the standard STI map are because of the free flowing cat, 3 port boost solenoid and the corresponding extra boost it runs. i.e it requires the extra fuel and other tweeks.

In all honesty, Your existing air box is a) only restrictive till you start going over 360 odd BHP. b) very MAF friendly

You won't actually get much of a BHP increase at lower power levels, simply because the o.e air box is nowhere near its limit yet.

If you do want to put one on, you really should have it mapped. Im not saying it will blow up without, but you definetly will lean things up a bit.
marky mark
JPs little helper

Postby bromy2000 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:38 am

I think ill stick with the safe option and leave things as they are, untill i have the money spare for the remap.

Thanks for the advice mate much appreciated.
bromy2000

Postby WR 1mposter » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:44 am

The APS CAIK, -although good - has a nasty bend just before the MAF sensor that really screws air flow up (MAF readings can be 25% different) in that area. Out of all the kits its the one you are least likely to just bolt on and get away with it.

Thats interesting Mark !
Would the bend be because of the fitment of the aps fmic pipework ?
Or is it something else ?
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby marky mark » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:15 am

WR 1mpostor (aka number 1 moderator) wrote:The APS CAIK, -although good - has a nasty bend just before the MAF sensor that really screws air flow up (MAF readings can be 25% different) in that area. Out of all the kits its the one you are least likely to just bolt on and get away with it.

Thats interesting Mark !

No, the filter fits at 90 degrees different to a conventional induction kit.

It has to because it sits in the wing, as opposed to the straight run from the filter to the MAF tube on a conventional kit. The turbulance caused by the bend really upsets the air flow around the sensor.
marky mark
JPs little helper

Postby WR 1mposter » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:21 am

marky mark wrote:The APS CAIK, -although good - has a nasty bend just before the MAF sensor that really screws air flow up (MAF readings can be 25% different) in that area. Out of all the kits its the one you are least likely to just bolt on and get away with it.

WR 1mpostor (aka number 1 moderator) wrote:Thats interesting Mark !

No, the filter fits at 90 degrees different to a conventional induction kit.

It has to because it sits in the wing, as opposed to the straight run from the filter to the MAF tube on a conventional kit. The turbulance caused by the bend really upsets the air flow around the sensor.

But are not all inner wing caik the same as ?
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Return to Tech Help