Login    Register

KNOCKING SOUND!

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
KNOCKING SOUND!

Postby Rooter75 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:57 am

:? don't know if i'm just being paraniod, but every so often i think i can hear a small knocking sound coming from the back of the car when i'm cornering at low speed.
i've taken everything out of the boot and i can still hear something.
WTF could it be?

could it be suspension trouble or maybe the rear wing or something?

cheers ROB
Rooter75

Re: KNOCKING SOUND!

Postby Wheatie » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:00 am

Rooter75 wrote::? don't know if i'm just being paraniod, but every so often i think i can hear a small knocking sound coming from the back of the car when i'm cornering at low speed.
i've taken everything out of the boot and i can still hear something.
WTF could it be?

could it be suspension trouble or maybe the rear wing or something?

cheers ROB

Hi Rooter, Sounds very similar to a nocking sound i had on my last subaru. It only happend at low speed on a bumpy road.
I thought it was the car jack at first but took it out and the noise was still there.
I took the car to a dealer and had a reply of - we couldn't hear anything when we took it out, i asked if they had taken it on a bumpy road at low speed because i had already explianed that thats when you here it.

Their reply was '' there are no bumpy roads round here''

I was totaly shocked with their response and told them so and left very disappointed.

I never did get to the bottom of it but i have read of other people having the same problem and have said it could be the top shock mounting.

Hope this helps.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk, because they have to say something.
Wheatie

Postby Joe » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:41 am

Ive had this problem ongoing for a while now.
Its you shocks mate.
they are a common problem. take it to the dealers and inform them, on inspection the will replace the end caps at first. go back when the noise starts again, they will then repalce the shock for you. as i said it is a common problem so they wont argue.
If you have a 1 make sure they use the correct springs, i thinck they should be red.
Im sat in the office waiting to pick mine up for the above.
Joseph
Joe

Postby Wheatie » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:26 pm

:ok: sorted :ok:
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk, because they have to say something.
Wheatie

Postby marky mark » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:46 pm

certainly sounds like the dreaded sti 8/9 shock knock!
If JP is Roland Rat, them I am Errol the Hamster... His number 1 fan.
marky mark
JPs little helper

Postby Rooter75 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:20 pm

THANKS GUYS.

car is going to dealers in a couple of weeks for its 20k service so hopefully can get the problem sorted then.

thanks again, ROB
Rooter75

Postby The Swede » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:50 pm

Rooter,

Mine are being swapped now. Been driving with this since months.

Make sure you get both swapped. I first had left knocking. Now right starts too.

Try increasing and decreasing the tyre-pressure once at the rear once. If it changes the knocking significantly, you got your problem.

Other issue with the shocks: try pushing the car down or try lifting it up (bit easier if you're Bro' or Joy than Swede :wink:). The absorder tends to stay in the same position. I've been told the strut tends to stick in the housing.

Good luck !

The Swede

PS: WR 1mpostor (aka number 1 moderator) suggested to lasercut the rear wings off too :rofl:
The Swede

Postby Wheatie » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:50 pm

No probs Rob, hope you get it sorted fella :thumb:
Wheatie

Postby WR 1mposter » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:56 pm

Torrekens wrote:Rooter,

Mine are being swapped now. Been driving with this since months.

Make sure you get both swapped. I first had left knocking. Now right starts too.

Try increasing and decreasing the tyre-pressure once at the rear once. If it changes the knocking significantly, you got your problem.

Other issue with the shocks: try pushing the car down or try lifting it up (bit easier if you're Bro' or Joy than Swede :wink:). The absorder tends to stay in the same position. I've been told the strut tends to stick in the housing.

Good luck !

The Swede

PS: WR 1mpostor (aka number 1 moderator) suggested to lasercut the rear wings off too :rofl:

Sandy just because you took off your front wings
to put on your mud flaps :omg: don't blame others for your
stupidity :rofl: :rofl: :stupid:
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby The Swede » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:28 pm

WR 1mpostor (aka number 1 moderator) wrote:Sandy just because you took off your front wings
to put on your mud flaps :omg: don't blame others for your
stupidity :rofl: :rofl: :stupid:

The front ones are OK. They just screw back on.

The rear ones had to lasercut off. Been welding half the afternoon to get it aboutish back. I'll post a pic when I'm finished. :wink:
The Swede

Postby Scooby_simon » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:49 pm

My WR1 is going into Quinby’s (Baldock) on Saturday for them to have a loot at this issue, anyone else had theirs done there; is there anything I can do to get this agreed PDQ ?
When I'm not driving I'm Skiing !
Scooby_simon

Postby danr55 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:07 pm

Scooby_simon wrote:My WR1 is going into Quinby’s (Baldock) on Saturday for them to have a loot at this issue, anyone else had theirs done there; is there anything I can do to get this agreed PDQ ?

sounds like rear suspension. I think about half had theirs replaced already!
danr55
Site Owner

Postby Scooby_simon » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:17 pm

danr55 wrote:
Scooby_simon wrote:My WR1 is going into Quinby’s (Baldock) on Saturday for them to have a loot at this issue, anyone else had theirs done there; is there anything I can do to get this agreed PDQ ?

sounds like rear suspension. I think about half had theirs replaced already!

Indeed; looking for the "right" words to say to get them to fold early; don't have time to waste talking about it with them, just want it fixed !
Scooby_simon

Postby Designerman » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:24 am

Had mine replaced at Tiley's a couple of weeks ago. Only done 15000 miles.. :shock:
Thank heavens for extended warranty otherwise £630. ouch!

BTW has anybody had problems with the front shocks as I still have noisy suspension and it appears to be coming from the front?
Designerman

Postby littl`un » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:46 am

Don`t the replacement ones have the same problem though? JD had his replaced with the new part but it still happened again and he eventually went for AST`s
littl`un

Postby Azyman » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:56 am

hi mate i had mine done there they would only swap 1 thou :(
Regs
Geoff
Azyman

Postby Scooby_simon » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:13 pm

Azyman wrote:

hi mate i had mine done there they would only swap 1 thou :(

Went up there; would it knock - nope. Took one of the guys out, would it knock; Nope.

oing to work out wehn it does it and then go back..

PITA
Scooby_simon

Postby WR 1mposter » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:09 pm

Got ours done through Ashbuton Subaru in Devon

Rang them, told them they were knocking, they emailed IM motors, rang me back the same day and booked the car in for the following week, and changed in 3 hours. Job done ! :D

Some dealers do really take the p1ss, they know it's a common fault on the sti 8, but still want tests drive to hear it for themselves... :roll:
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby presa900 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:13 pm

Mine weren't even knocking when it came to the 3 year end of warranty service, but my dealer changed them anyway :)
presa900

Return to Tech Help