Login    Register

Play in the centre diff :/

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Play in the centre diff :/

Postby Venkman » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:02 am

Ok need some more of your good advice folks. Since coming back from a trip to the mainland the car feels awful. I know I have a knackered rubber on the rear drop links and have been looking into upgrading the rear ARB (probably Eibach) and drop links (probably Perrin) plus new bushes all round. However that has fallen by the wayside somewhat by a possibly larger issue.

The car feels somewhat disconnected underneath like I'm driving a bag of spanners. I think this is partly due to the drop links (unless my shockers are finally going!) BUT I'm also getting some strange noises from the diff I think. The noise you'd expect from being in manual diff mode and cornering sharply started happening briefly when lifting off the accelerator. That has now gone and instead I get random 'chirps' which is the only way I can actually describe the sound. Happens both accelerating and decelerating but I can't make it happen if you know what I mean. That in itself wouldn't worry me so much but when accelerating, especially in 2nd, it feels like the car is missing or lumpy with the power but as the revs build it's smooth through the boost. When lifting off there's a delay before the engine braking and this is normally immediately followed by a sort of lurch forward then the engine brake.

Taken the car to the original dealer and they think there's play in the centre diff, like it's loading and releasing weirdly. They've changed the gearbox oil to ensure the grade is right and the old oil looked fine, I.e no metal floating around. Next step is to strip it which is at least 4 hours work. Apparently these centre diffs just never break and Proven in the UK haven't had one go before either. Problem is if I need to replace it they're saying it'll cost £2,900 for the part! :shock: Do any of you have any similar experiences? I guess if they strip it they should find the problem but then there wouldn't be any point putting it back together without fixing it and I don't fancy a bill for over £3k, just can't swallow that one!

If you have any advice or suggestions that would be very much appreciated!
Venkman

Re: Play in the centre diff :/

Postby Venkman » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:45 pm

Car went in to the garage today and they stripped the gearbox. Apparently there's some small wear marks on the bearings and the output shafts have a little play but everything else looks fine. They're in contact with the Subaru tech team and RCM to find out more - I think RCM do a centre diff repair kit if needed.

I guess if there's play in the drive and prop shafts that would explain the lumpiness when I first accelerate or decelerate and then once the play is taken up then the car pulls smoothly? But I'm no mechanic! Hoping it is the bearings and will be a quick fix!
Venkman

Re: Play in the centre diff :/

Postby WR1 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:56 am

How many miles has it done?
Prodrive - RaceDynamix 346 bhp - WhiteLine - AP Racing - Milltek - Cosworth
WR1

Return to Tech Help