Login    Register

Rear left Creak noise help

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Rear left Creak noise help

Postby swiss tone » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:13 pm

This is driving me mad! anyone else had similar as can't seem to sort it! Nothing major but just annoying!

I've got an annoying creak from the rear left wheel area. Mainly when the car 'Yaws' i.e. going round corner and sometimes speed bumps. Not really noticible when just going over normal bumps. Driving onto my drive up the slope at an angle shows it up the most. I really thought it was something to do with the anti roll bar as that would move when the car twists.

I thought it was the shock/strut so got both of them changed. Still the same.
I changed the arb drop link myself. Still the same.
I Undid the rear pair of anti roll bar bushes, greased under them and made sure back tight. Still the same.
Sprayed WD40 on all the boot adjustment rods/hindges/springs. Still the same.
Greased all the bearings underneath and sprayed all the joints I can see. Still the same.

Could it be the actual chassis?
There is a vertical circular flat damper type of thing (technical term) just forward of the front of the rear wheel arch that is sunk into the floor pan. An arm joins this but not sure what it is? could it be that?

Been an expensive 'guessing game' so far so any ideas guys. It's only done 36K so shouldn't be making noises at that mileage. :?:

It's been in my local garage also and they didn't seem to know! They look at you like you are daft, do I really need to put up with it? Bit determined now!

The OEM pair of rear shocks are for sale btw :wink:
swiss tone

Re: Rear left Creak noise help

Postby Crockel » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:23 pm

I know what you mean about irritating noises!

The thing that strikes me from you post is you seem to have spent a lot of time and money so far not solving the problem. Is the garage you use a decent independent or a main dealer who only wants to do the bare minimum?

The reason I ask is that i previously had an annoying noise that only occurred at certain speeds and angles in the car. I took it to my regular independent who accepted there was an unusual noise but couldn't pinpoint where it was coming from on the test drive.

They ended up suspending it from the ramps- one sat inside running it up to 50 mph (well the wheels were doing that!) whilst a second mechanic went round with his equivalent of a stethoscope listening to all the main wheel bearings etc. They identified that one particular wheel bearing was noisy (but certainly hadn't failed)- they replaced it and the noise disappeared never to return.

Whilst wheel bearing might not be your problem, i guess the point of my ramble is that finding a garage who goes above and beyond the normal call of duty is invaluable.

Good luck with sorting your problem. :D
Crockel

Postby davey boy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:55 am

Top shock absorber mounting? Its made of rubber and sometimes rub against the car body slightly...very annoying noise lol
davey boy

Postby swiss tone » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:52 pm

Always good to hear your thoughts! cheers
swiss tone

Postby swiss tone » Wed May 28, 2014 12:02 pm

It has quietened down and don't notice it so much now after lubricating everything in site.
swiss tone

Postby weirdfish » Wed May 28, 2014 2:50 pm

swiss tone wrote:It has quietened down and don't notice it so much now after lubricating everything in site.

That new pioneer you're fitting, just turn it up a bit, ( sorry, couldn't resist ). :toofunny:
weirdfish

Postby swiss tone » Fri May 30, 2014 5:21 pm

Ha! That's why then! Thought it was weird I couldn't hear it over the base! Good that you know your tech stuff! Lol.
swiss tone

Return to Tech Help