Login    Register

rear diff

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
rear diff

Postby L22JLP » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:41 pm

Hi every one. Im new to subarus and owning the wr1 for 2 weeks i am getting a funny feeling from the back end when setting off turning or going round corners and round abouts almost feeling like the back end is bouncing. I also hear loud clicking noises coming from rear diff when setting off turning. Is this normal? Help/advice would be appreciated. Cheers
L22JLP

Re: rear diff

Postby Gary75 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:44 pm

Have you got the DCCD set to auto or manual? if in manual and turning corners, you can got knocking from the diffs etc.

As for the bouncing, tyres, shocks etc. Do you get any vibration at speed or when braking?

Speak to Adam at Autotecnica or Alyn at Asperformance, they will be able to help and assist you.
Gary75

Postby SteveS » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:02 pm

Gary75 wrote:Have you got the DCCD set to auto or manual? if in manual and turning corners, you can got knocking from the diffs etc.

As for the bouncing, tyres, shocks etc. Do you get any vibration at speed or when braking?

Speak to Adam at Autotecnica or Alyn at Asperformance, they will be able to help and assist you.

Yep agree with Gary. Check that DCCD is set in Auto and leave it there, otherwise its going to cost dear. If not you are hitting kerbs at speed, it happens :roll:
SteveS

Postby L22JLP » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:15 pm

I havnt really had a play with the dccd yet so its always in auto. I seem to notice it more the longer i drive it. Doesnt really do it when its cold or not been driven for more than half hour or so. I did ask adam at autotecnica and he said its normal. It just doesnt sound like it should be normal, sometimes it goes through me it clicks that loud ! :shock: i never get any vibations and rear shocks and tyres are all good. It might be just me. Im like this with cars..... if i hear a noise or something doesnt feel right i need it checking out and fixing!!
L22JLP

Postby Hammerhead » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:05 am

Does it matter where the dial is set if its in auto? Should it be all the way forward or back??
Hammerhead

Postby Gary75 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:36 am

L22JLP wrote:I havnt really had a play with the dccd yet so its always in auto. I seem to notice it more the longer i drive it. Doesnt really do it when its cold or not been driven for more than half hour or so. I did ask adam at autotecnica and he said its normal. It just doesnt sound like it should be normal, sometimes it goes through me it clicks that loud ! :shock: i never get any vibations and rear shocks and tyres are all good. It might be just me. Im like this with cars..... if i hear a noise or something doesnt feel right i need it checking out and fixing!!

This is just from own experience, but does the clicking noise as you describe only happen when say going around a roundabout or cornering etc?? I had a strange rubbing noise coming from the back end when cornering, again only eveident when driven say 10 mins, I assumed the worst, bearings , diff :cry: but found the rear brake back plate was rubbing against the disc. This only happens when new discs have been fitted, the back plate corrodes over time. See my thread regarding this.

Has something got trapped between the brake pads / caliper?
Prop centre bearing?
Inner or outer CV's, usually the outer will click or knock when turning.
Have you checked all fluid levels in the diff / gearbox, have the correct fluids been used?

You state the longer / more you drive, the noise becomes more evident, so heat related?

Ive got no noises present on mine, is this normal :shock: :D Its hard to diagnose a fault or problem like this, without actually hearing the noise first hand :|

Back end instability may be due to a worn shock, something has broken off, like a roll bar link etc, bushes may be worn, links maybe worn, Tyres are the big one, wrong tyres fitted = shit handling..... You really need to give the car a good once over before condeming the main drive components.

How fast are you taking the corner or roundabout to cause a bouncing sensation, are you coming on and off the gas when cornering?

Does anybody live close to you that owns another WR1 or scoob of the same year?

Hope some of this helps :D
Last edited by Gary75 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gary75

Postby DCFCtom » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:50 pm

L22JLP wrote:I havnt really had a play with the dccd yet so its always in auto. I seem to notice it more the longer i drive it. Doesnt really do it when its cold or not been driven for more than half hour or so. I did ask adam at autotecnica and he said its normal. It just doesnt sound like it should be normal, sometimes it goes through me it clicks that loud ! :shock: i never get any vibations and rear shocks and tyres are all good. It might be just me. Im like this with cars..... if i hear a noise or something doesnt feel right i need it checking out and fixing!!

I get exactly the same noises with mine, I know what you mean. Nothing to worry about as Adam has said. I presume its because the dccd is in Auto its sorting itself out for grip and the like. If you turn the dial so the arrows are on green the noises stop in normal driving. Just put it back in auto when reversing and all is fine
DCFCtom

Postby L22JLP » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:23 am

As soon as i got the car i took it to autotecnica for a full check over as i know adam and jamie quite well and they both said everything was good and clean and it had been well looked after. They did put some new link bars on and a few other bits. I mentioned the noises and clicks and they both said thats the dccd. I spoke to a friend of mine that used to own a wr1 and he said when he first got his and heard it clicking on the rear he was also worried but thats just how it was. Its almost like the back end drags when you set off with the wheels turned, more so when its warm and then the clicking starts. Im also just making sure because i got a 6 month warranty with the car and if anything is wrong with it then it will be getting repaired. Thanks for all the feedback tho guys :D
L22JLP

Postby Gary75 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:32 am

If its been checked, all is well. I would then assume some Wr1's make transmission noises and some don't, I've never heard any noises or clicking from my diffs, only a slight clunking when DCCD set to manual and slowly turning a corner, other than that, all is quiet in Auto mode. As for a dragging back end when setting off, that doesn't seem normal :shock: where are you based? If close, I will meet up with you to swap noises :D

This is just a long shot, but is the DCCD working properly?

Before you had the links fitted and first picked up the car / took it for a test drive, did you notice the clicking noise / bouncing arse end?

Out of interest how many miles has your car covered, could this be a mileage age related noise :idea:
Gary75

Postby L22JLP » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:46 am

I never noticed the clunking noise on the test run because it was cold and the test drive only lasted 10 mins so wouldnt of warmed up. How do i know if the dccd is working properly? The car has covered 50.600 miles so its below average. Now this is strange because what you said yours does in manual mine does in auto? But it doesnt change if its in manual or auto... it stays the same!! I think i may pay autotecnica another visit.
L22JLP

Postby Gary75 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:35 am

L22JLP wrote:I never noticed the clunking noise on the test run because it was cold and the test drive only lasted 10 mins so wouldnt of warmed up. How do i know if the dccd is working properly? The car has covered 50.600 miles so its below average. Now this is strange because what you said yours does in manual mine does in auto? But it doesnt change if its in manual or auto... it stays the same!! I think i may pay autotecnica another visit.

Could be the DCCD is not switching from manual to auto, although the auto indicator states otherwise? Im pretty sure an indicator light would flash or stay on if a fault was present.

I can tell when i switch from auto to manual, i only use the second green indicator from the bottom, the steering instanly feels different, lighter, but this is due to more power being distrubited to the back end? seems to corner pretty well on this setting, and the obvious clunks when turning slowly. Turn back to auto and everything seems to tighten up with no clunks from the diffs. Thats the only way i can describe the DCCD sensation :D Unless yours is working properly and mine is fooked.....in which case ill be visiting Adam at Autotecnica :shock: :D
Gary75

Postby Gary75 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:58 pm

Did you get this fixed???
Gary75

Postby L22JLP » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:03 am

The car has gone to autotecnica this week to have a new dccd fitted. I hope it totally changes the way it drives because at the minute it feels horrible :puke:
L22JLP

Postby Gary75 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:21 pm

L22JLP wrote:The car has gone to autotecnica this week to have a new dccd fitted. I hope it totally changes the way it drives because at the minute it feels horrible :puke:

Glad your getting it sorted. Let us know the difference when fixed. Thought you had a warranty with the car?
Gary75

Postby HMR81 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:05 pm

how much was the new dccd if you dont mind me asking?
#30 / 500
HMR81

Postby swiss tone » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:36 pm

Good to hear how other peoples cars operate to get a good cross section of what's seen as normal? We are all a bit paranoid when it comes down to noises, or at least i am!

Mine is all quiet in auto mode. In manual, as Gary said, a couple up from the bottom makes the steering feel a bit lighter as the power is going more to the back. In this mode, slow turns make a slight knock noise which I assume is the diff slipping as the rotation of the inner and outer wheels are different? If I try to reverse in this manual setting and turn, it feels horrible! Back to auto and all is fine.

Hearing other people mention this, makes me think it is normal but it's weird a car would do this from new and subaru think it's acceptable. Sounds like that is just how they are?
swiss tone

Postby Gary75 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:54 am

The wrong grade of oil can cause this issue. I have read on a couple of forums regards noise / clunking from the rear diff. I contacted Subaru they stated they use 75/90 in the STI rear diff, the manual stipulates Lsd gear oil not 75/90....... :?: GL5 75/90 is used in the non STI model. You need proper Lsd oil such as Motul 90PA. Use other grades of oils at your own risk. The gearbox and front diff use GL5 75/90

Hope this helps
Gary75

Return to Tech Help