Login    Register

Noise from engine

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Noise from engine

Postby Mark WR1 102 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:48 pm

Hi all

I've been out in the 1 today and been getting a noise from the engine bay, the car is driving fine in all the gears under hard acceleration, I'm getting the noise when at a steady speed and a little acceleration on, the faster I get the louder the noise is, it's not that loud and it sounds like a little whistle, doesn't do it when the cars not moving.

Any help would be great, thank. Mark :)
Mark WR1 102

Re: Noise from engine

Postby Gary75 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:08 am

Mark WR1 102 wrote:Hi all

I've been out in the 1 today and been getting a noise from the engine bay, the car is driving fine in all the gears under hard acceleration, I'm getting the noise when at a steady speed and a little acceleration on, the faster I get the louder the noise is, it's not that loud and it sounds like a little whistle, doesn't do it when the cars not moving.

The noise you describe is the engine running, the faster you go the noisier it gets... As for the whistling, your engine is happy and having a good day :D

Hope this helps.
Gary75

Postby Mark WR1 102 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:23 pm

Gary75 wrote:
Mark WR1 102 wrote:Hi all

The noise you describe is the engine running, the faster you go the noisier it gets... As for the whistling, your engine is happy and having a good day :D

Hope this helps.

Hi Gary yes it all helps thanks :)

I've had the local garage have a listen and they've said it sounds like a bearing going in the gear box just leave it till it get worse they said.
Mark WR1 102

Postby Gary75 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:56 pm

Could be the the clutch release bearing? dip the clutch when your traveling, if the noise goes then 99.99% sure release bearing at fault not the gearbox. How many miles has the car done? is it the original clutch?
Gary75

Postby Mark WR1 102 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:03 pm

Gary75 wrote:Could be the the clutch release bearing? dip the clutch when your traveling, if the noise goes then 99.99% sure release bearing at fault not the gearbox. How many miles has the car done? is it the original clutch?

Yes that was the bearing the garage was saying could be the problem, they all so said that it could be the bearing in the turbo with the car not been driven since 2009 till I had the car, cars done 34k now.

Thanks.
Mark WR1 102

Postby swiss tone » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:54 pm

Hi Mark, did you find out what the noise was? Is it sorted now?

Just out of interest, is it worse when the car is cold and gets better when warm?
swiss tone

Postby Mark WR1 102 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:36 pm

Hi, no didn't find where the noise is coming from and yeah still the same when cold or warm, you can hear it more around 60mph it's not loud but you can just here it in the back ground, car drives well would of thought if something was on its way out it would of gone by now :(
Mark WR1 102

Postby swiss tone » Tue May 13, 2014 8:43 pm

I think I know what noise you are describing. More noticeable at 60+ . When you take your foot off the gas, does it go? Put it back on slightly and it returns. If so perhaps related to fuel injection?

Don't think gearbox at that mileage.

Did you try dipping the clutch to see if goes to point to release bearing?

I'm very sensitive to noises and drives you mad eh!
swiss tone

Postby Mark WR1 102 » Tue May 13, 2014 9:50 pm

Yeah I notice the noise around 50➕ And yeah off the gas and it goes,back on the gas and I've got the noise again, it's not very loud you just know it's there :( do you think a injector cleaner would sort it out ?

I've not tried dipping the clutch, will try that at the weekend.

Thanks. Mark.
Mark WR1 102

Postby swiss tone » Wed May 14, 2014 11:44 am

Weird as I have the same as you I think so we will have to keep in touch!

I don't think it is anything major as it would be doing it all the time wouldn't it and not just when put your foot on the gas. Funny no threads on this and ours are both low mileage too.

As you say, dosn't happen when just driving around town and only at higher speeds.

Meeds someone on here to tell us what is it is! I am still thinking something connected to fuel and maybe an injector. Yes, you could try a cleaner as won't cost much.

If it was a bearing then I would have thought it would be making the noise all the time.

Let me know if find out anything please!
swiss tone

Postby Mark WR1 102 » Wed May 14, 2014 4:45 pm

Yeah keep in touch no problem.

Yeah don't think it's nothing major, drives well so can't be much wrong with her, would be nice know what it is and get her sorted out :)
Mark WR1 102

Postby swiss tone » Sun May 18, 2014 4:22 pm

Hi mark, I now have the sneaking suspicion that it might be the bearing in the turbo. Someone said to undo the pipe to the compressor side and spin it by hand to see if any noise. I am told the bearing can be changed. Doesn't't stop it delivering the power but might get worse.
Hoping to get a garage friend to listen.
swiss tone

Postby swiss tone » Sat May 24, 2014 10:55 am

Hi mark, any luck finding out what it is. I'm sure we do have exactly the same thing and I'm amazed no one else has had it.

I got my mate who owns a garage to listen and he wasn't sure! He didn't rule out turbo bearing but said it would be something mechanical and spinning fast. He didn't think gearbox as doesn't do it off the gas but still in drive gear. Must be something controlled or having a connection with the throttle.

If it is the turbo bearing, you can buy just the brass bearing for around £15 and a complete VF55 kit for around £40 on ebay. Just getting the turbo out and not sure how hard that is with being down the back of the engine.

If it was a bearing on any of the belt items then it would do it all the time.

I guess it could be a slight pressure leak from a pipe somewhere but it doesn't sound like that sort of noise does it.

As you say, it's more evident at a constant speed at 50+ only when foot on accelerator and the faster you go, the louder it seems. No performance loss so I'm still thinking bearing somewhere.

Are you getting anyone to look at it?
swiss tone

Postby Mark WR1 102 » Sat May 24, 2014 8:16 pm

Hi, no not since my best mate who's also got his own garage looked at it, he said same as you've said may be gearbox bearing or turbo, I've had all the pulleys changed when I first had the car so can't see mine being a pulley, would think more towards the turbo, the only other thing it might be is the HKS BOV that was on when I bought the car.
Mark WR1 102

Postby swiss tone » Sun May 25, 2014 12:36 pm

Mine is the standard BOV. There is a good you tube vid of how to take the turbo off btw if you do stuff yourself? Garages only tend to replace stuff don't they so prob wouldn't get involved with changing just the bearing unless you have a good mate that is!
swiss tone

Postby Dayo » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:56 pm

Mine has this noise. Iv been told is the rear bearing in the gearbox near where it meets the prop shaft. Can be replaced without taking the gearbox out. Apparently theres a bolt off section near the dccd that allows you to replace the bearing.

Only does it when on the gas, a high pitched squeel
Finally Got My Hands on a WR1 #039. Loving it ;)
Dayo

Postby Mark WR1 102 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:31 pm

Dayo wrote:Mine has this noise. Iv been told is the rear bearing in the gearbox near where it meets the prop shaft. Can be replaced without taking the gearbox out. Apparently theres a bolt off section near the dccd that allows you to replace the bearing.

Only does it when on the gas, a high pitched squeel

Thanks for that, sounds like the noise I've got only when on the gas,
Mark WR1 102

Postby Dayo » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:33 pm

If its that, the bearings £60, then theres labour. Its a fairly common issue according to my local subaru garage
Finally Got My Hands on a WR1 #039. Loving it ;)
Dayo

Postby Mark WR1 102 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:43 pm

Dayo wrote:If its that, the bearings £60, then theres labour. Its a fairly common issue according to my local subaru garage

Sounds like that's what it is, have you had yours done ?
Mark WR1 102

Postby Mark WR1 102 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:51 pm

Quick update been autotecnica this week had car road tested and the engine noise is normal and coming from boost pressure release valve :)
Mark WR1 102

Postby silver-sonic » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:34 pm

good to know all is well!
silver-sonic

Postby Mark WR1 102 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:26 pm

Yeah peace of mind now :)
Mark WR1 102

Return to Tech Help