Login    Register

Help Backbox

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Help Backbox

Postby simon.r » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

Alright gents - how we all doing

Anyhow after abit of advice - I have no really knowledge of modifying and when I bought the one - I said to myself keep it completely original as possible but I am struggling to resist.

Anyhow - Correct me if I am wrong but the 1's came from Prodrive with one Cat not the standard 2 that the STIs have?

Therefore, if a back box was changed would it have to be remapped? I wouldnt have thought so?

Also being Decatted already by 1 - this would enable the backbox to give a higher bruble?

Therefore, the decision to make is which backbox to go for.

Now there is a video on here with a owner on here got the Blitz Nur R or whatever it is - however that does seem very loud. And setting off in 4 in the morning and driving 200 miles on motorway I would imagine it gets abit draining .....

Then I know from reading the old impreza magazine - a couple of 1 owners on here have the RCM straight through all in one exhaust - however again would the whole system need changing?

Then again doing some more research and notice the Afterburner Vortex - Which I believe is constructed by H&S?

This video shows it - www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmm2wTuTPQY

Would this be too loud.??? I dont know - But then Ive seen you can buy a baffle/bung? So I would imagine that can be fitted to the exhaust if too loud?

So any advice would be greatful - *(Must resist modifying)*

Cheers Again

Simon
simon.r

Re: Help Backbox

Postby asperformance » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:01 pm

WR1 was stripped of its std 2 pipe downpipe catalyst and STi b/box and fitted with a Prodrive "sports cat", secondary de-cat pipe and completed by fitment of the Prodrive b/box...............centre section is std STi/Subaru one

generally speaking you can fit a centre and b/box without any issues and an aftermarket one will generally give more "burble"

personally not a fan of Blitz as they are poorly designed, loud and over-priced IMO, something lie the Milltek is a far better option
ASPerformance
PFC BRAKES, PAGID, MOTUL, FERODO, BREMBO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA
online shop!!
asperformance

Postby simon.r » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:15 pm

Why would the centre section be required?

Would the back box not fit straight on to the centre section?

Nah the Blitz does seem far too loud.

Hence maybe either the RCM or the Afterburner Vortex as that seems quite a nice sound to it.

Milltek....erm maybe some more research...
simon.r

Postby davetwr1 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:47 pm

hi simon give olly a ring at rcm he will help you sort out the exhaust and sound you want he put a full decat 3 inch with team ice back box on my 1 yes it is loud but one hell of a sound .it all depends on what you are looking for :D
davetwr1

Postby asperformance » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:10 pm

simon.r wrote:Why would the centre section be required?

Would the back box not fit straight on to the centre section?

Nah the Blitz does seem far too loud.

Hence maybe either the RCM or the Afterburner Vortex as that seems quite a nice sound to it.

Milltek....erm maybe some more research...

i was trying to explain the original system to you so you know what you should have and your options...............

you can simply fit a b/box on its own
ASPerformance
online shop!!
asperformance

Postby simon.r » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:21 pm

No no all advice is good Alan - You should know I know nothing - I wish I did.

So if I changed the back box? This would give dare I say it -that 'subaru' sound

But I dont want that subaru sound that you hear 3 in the morning with tyres screaming...

So is it just which back box then?

Something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmm2wTuTPQY

But the owner states 'it's a backbox + deresonated centerpipe, both Afterburner.'

A deresonated centerpipe?? :? Eh?
simon.r

Postby asperformance » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:40 pm

the centre section has a "resonator" in it to quieten the sound.............
ASPerformance
online shop!!
asperformance

Postby simon.r » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:14 pm

So does all subarus come with a 'resonator' in the centre section? To quiet them down?

So therefore, to get more noise - its not all to do with the back box? Obvisouly the larger the diameter of the back box the more the emissions and air flow can travel causing some noise - or have I got that totally wrong?? However its the Centre Section which contains a resonator which also restricts the nosie levels?

So how does having two Cats or a single cat or even no cats at all affect the noise levels - does a Cat play a part in the noise levels?

So as mentioned below Prodive have added a 'sports cat' along with the secondary pipe which is decatted fitted with the prodrive b/box - Got you - I understand now.

However the centre section is standard as per all the STIs therefore to get more bruble noise - the centre section would make added difference - But then how do you know what centre section to go for? How would you know if it was going to be too loud?

But surely having the WR1 with a sports cat already - would this not play a part in the noise levels?

Yeah, Im popping in at RCM some time in April as in the events section - But I wouldnt want to go there a complete nunse not knowing a thing.

Alan - Are planning anything up in Durham?
simon.r

Postby asperformance » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:39 am

planning what???

a catalyst acts a a noise suppressor because of its design, so yes having a freer flowing sports cat rather than the 2x factory ones means a slight increase in noise levels (the Prodrive and STi b/boxes are fairly similiar IMO) and yes you are correct by fitting a straight thro' centre even without changing anything else will increase noise slightly
ASPerformance
online shop!!
asperformance

Postby SteveS » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:17 pm

I recently purchased a Hayward and Scott backbox to replace the standard WR1 Prodrive back box from a member on here. After I put it on, I was amazed at the increase in "Burble" It is sooooooooooooooooo nice however, going through small towns on my way to work at 6.00 hrs in the morning, its a bit too much. So I purchased an exhaust bung from H&S took 2 minutes to fit and now I can drive peacefully through the villages and towns...................Soon got pi$$ed of with it, chucked it in the bin, loving the low burble again. :D :wave:
SteveS

Postby scoobychris555 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:51 pm

I have recently had the Afterburner Vortex with centre section and this is really loud, the Raptor i think is a bit quieter. No dramas with how the car is running either, but im also off to RCM end of March for a straight through.
scoobychris555

Postby simon.r » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:07 pm

Thats with the centre section - hence why Im thinking of just the back box - cant be as loud - in no rush - perhaps wait until after RCM in April...
simon.r

Postby scoobychris555 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:15 pm

simon.r wrote:Thats with the centre section - hence why Im thinking of just the back box - cant be as loud - in no rush - perhaps wait until after RCM in April...

Yeah probably good idea that. When I take mine over RCM their gonna drop a silencer on it too, although its very loud it does sound absoloutly awesome by the way. :lol:
scoobychris555

Return to Tech Help