Login    Register

Rear Strut Fix?

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Rear Strut Fix?

Postby Paulb022 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:30 pm

Hi all,

Just looking into potential permanent fixes for those troublesome oem rear struts!
I did a strip and re-grease of mine due to knocking, but knocking has slowly returned after 1k or so.
I'm assuming that maybe once the knocking starts the damage is already done, and the strut body is already too worn causing play.

What's the general consensus regarding success of the re-greasing as a permanent repair?

Now as I'm a project manager of a manufacturing company making complex aerospace parts and even parts for Prodrive, a permanent fix must be possible. This has been really bugging me!!!

I want to strip a strut, measure the strut body bore and piston to see if either sleeving the body or maybe chrome plating is a possible fix. Don't fancy having no car for this so wondering if anybody has their old worn struts I could try this out on?

Anybody tried any other solutions to the re-greasing?

Paul
Paulb022

Re: Rear Strut Fix?

Postby Gary75 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:21 am

Paulb022 wrote:Hi all,

Just looking into potential permanent fixes for those troublesome oem rear struts!
I did a strip and re-grease of mine due to knocking, but knocking has slowly returned after 1k or so.
I'm assuming that maybe once the knocking starts the damage is already done, and the strut body is already too worn causing play.

What's the general consensus regarding success of the re-greasing as a permanent repair?

Now as I'm a project manager of a manufacturing company making complex aerospace parts and even parts for Prodrive, a permanent fix must be possible. This has been really bugging me!!!

I want to strip a strut, measure the strut body bore and piston to see if either sleeving the body or maybe chrome plating is a possible fix. Don't fancy having no car for this so wondering if anybody has their old worn struts I could try this out on?

Anybody tried any other solutions to the re-greasing?

Paul

I've seen a strut fix on another forum where the tap and screw a grease nipple into the strut housing?
Gary75

Postby ktm jon » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:13 am

ktm jon

Postby Paulb022 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:35 am

Cheers for the feedback guys. I did do a full strip and re-grease on one side but its knocking again. Maybe a grease nipple enables more grease to be packed inside?

Paul
Paulb022

Postby ktm jon » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:04 pm

that was my thought paul.........more grease through the nipple
ktm jon

Postby Megaman » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:54 pm

Good find the Youtube clip

Although all this talk of greasy nipples will get John Mc Tiddler (Dogging Expert) all excited... :lol:
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Return to Tech Help