Login    Register

which tyres are best ?

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
which tyres are best ?

Postby mikethatcher » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:48 pm

Iam going to be buying new tyres soon, iam running on pirelli rosso at the moment, find them good wearing, I know its mostly down to personal choice but i could to with a few ideas. I dont do much motorway driving and as i live in North Devon there are plenty of bends. Dont really mind noise or ride, just need something to keep me planted. Any suggestions will be gratefully received. :D
mikethatcher

Postby Megaman » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:49 pm

PZero Neros are a good all rounder for wet and dry. You can get a lot more grip by using semi slick road legal tyres like toyo R888's but you will pay 250 a corner for them. Likewise there are some good wet weather snow tyres but they wear out fast in the dry so it depends when you will use the car.
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby mikethatcher » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:14 pm

was looking at a pic of the toyo R888's. Lovely looking tread pattern, but with the weather we have down here i dont think i would stay on the road long... :shock: will have a look at the P nero Zero. my son had a set on his 106 and said they were good. Thanks :thumb:
mikethatcher

Postby Chris B » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:00 pm

Have a look at the Toyo R1Rs,they fall inbetween the R888s and the Toyo T1Rs.
Heaven can wait....I'm playing with my scooby.
Chris B

Postby rossm » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:25 am

I am running PZero Neros and have been very surprised by how well they have lasted and the overall grip in both wet and dry conditions. I will probably move to Yokohama AD08 next though as they are more suited to track day use...
rossm

Postby marchar » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:57 pm

Got Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's on mine, Grip well and not too lumpy, Got em from camskill, Really pleased with them :)
Nobody told me it was this brutal !
marchar

g

Postby SteveS » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:01 pm

Tough question this, firstly what was the WR1 shod with from new?. Any one know? Lots of personal preferences on makes and tread pattern dependant on what you want to do with your 1. Track use, day to day running, bit of both or winter/wet/summer driving. Too much choise and every one has an opinion based on personal experience. How do you drive your WR1?. Its a great expense to try different manufacturers and variants, if we could, we would, but budgets don't run to that. Just be assured that we run our WR1's with the best tyres that there are available. 8) 8) 8)
SteveS

Postby Gary75 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:54 pm

Bridgestone Potenza, but when pushed hard do loose grip in the dry, never been out when wet so can't comment, this brand was fitted when purchased so assumed they would be ok hence I purchased another set.

I will be going with Michelin tyres next, always fitted these to all cars I've owned, great grip wet and dry and last a long time....

My 05 plate focus still has the original Michelin tyres on the rear and the car has covered 40000 miles.

You only get what you pay for....
Gary75

Postby Gary75 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:54 pm

Bridgestone Potenza, but when pushed hard they do loose grip in the dry, never been out when wet so can't comment, this brand was fitted when purchased so assumed they would be ok hence I purchased another set.

I will be going with Michelin tyres next, always fitted these to all cars I've owned, great grip wet and dry and last a long time....

My 05 plate focus still has the original Michelin tyres on the rear and the car has covered 40000 miles.

You only get what you pay for.
Gary75

Postby chiroman » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:09 pm

I used to have the Pirelli Rosso's which were ok and for a change went for the Vredestein sessantas. These grip ok but didn't balance well, needing upto 150gm. On motorways they're very sensitive to road surface as regards transmitting vibrations. Had mine balanced on a machine which locates the wheel at the flange face which improved things a little. I tend to think its the tread design which is the problem and next time will go for a continuous tread style and avoid the designer tread.
Hope this helps a bit in your choice.
chiroman

Postby rocko » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:00 pm

Ive tryed a few set of Tyres since ive own my 1 for 6 Years ..

The best all rounder is a set of Hankook v12 Evo ..

Rocko
"666"
rocko

Postby BIG"E" » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:09 pm

rocko wrote:Ive tryed a few set of Tyres since ive own my 1 for 6 Years ..

Rocko

Skullfudge swears by the V12 Evo and they came highly recommended by a chap I spoke to at Camskills, although i have not tried them my self.

Toyo T1Rs are very good if you can still get them.
BIG"E"

Postby rocko » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:15 pm

BIG"E" wrote:
rocko wrote:Ive tryed a few set of Tyres since ive own my 1 for 6 Years ..

Rocko

Skullfudge swears by the V12 Evo and they came highly recommended by a chap I spoke to at Camskills, although i have not tried them my self.

Toyo T1Rs are very good if you can still get them.

I think the T1Rs have been replaced with T1 Sport .. looks like a conti sport parrtern
"666"
rocko

Postby mikethatcher » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:49 am

Think iam going to go with the Toyo Proxes T1-R's . £106 delivered. I like the look of the pattern and they got good reviews. got Pirelli P Zero Rosso at the moment. just fancy a change.
:D
mikethatcher

Postby Chris 280 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:05 pm

the 1 came with p zero nero s from new and ive always put theese on and like them a lot last good too and good allround and have the car squealing on three wheels, :lol:
it is better to have had a wr1 and lost it than never to have one at all.
Chris 280

Return to Tech Help