Login    Register

Brake Vibrations on a WR1 HELP!

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Brake Vibrations on a WR1 HELP!

Postby Dayo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:52 am

hi, i brought a wr1 off a bloke about 4 month ago now, i was aware it had brake judder when i bought it so i got a few quid knocked off. i use it as a weekend car and iv only just got round to trying to fix this issue!

It has the brembo 4 pot calipers on, and the bloke before me has put the Tarox G88 front discs on it.

Heres the problem,

As soon as you get any heat into the brakes, the steering shakes like mad! you can feel it through the whole car. its got to the point that its nearly impossible to hold the steering wheel still! There is slight vibration through the brake pedal also.

if you have got the discs warm and this happens, if you wait half hour or so the brakes wont be nowhere near as bad once cooled.

when going upto traffic lights and you brake slowly, you can feel the car rocked to a stop.

so i decided to have the discs skimmed/resurfaced!

i also put new mintex pads on.

seemed ok for a few hours driving, but surely enough, the judder came back!

Iv had the discs off and tried a dti gauge on the hubs, its approx 0.06mm out both sides but i cant see that being a problem. iv also cleaned behind where the discs meet the hubs. no joy!

Open to suggestions!!!!
Finally Got My Hands on a WR1 #039. Loving it ;)
Dayo

Postby Gary75 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:47 pm

Hi Dayo, assuming all suspension / wheel bearings hub faces are ok then the discs are at fault. This has happened to me in the past with after market discs, after a few thousand miles you start to get brake judder, worse as the discs warm up. I always fit genuine discs now to all cars I own and haven't suffered any problems with judder / warped discs since.

I would try a factory set of discs, but make sure you use the dial gauge to check run out, if out of tolerance move disc round one stud and recheck again until you are within spec. You should have no more problems. Make sure your caliper pistons are not seized and moving freely.

0.06mm on both sides? That would cause the problem, have you tested when the discs are hot? I bet they are out of spec on both sides?

Also have a look at this.

http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/issue/a ... ntid=46342
Last edited by Gary75 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary75

Postby chiroman » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:09 pm

I had this prob too. Have a read of this:
http://wr1oc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php? ... ht=dynamix
chiroman

Postby Megaman » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:23 pm

Sounds like warped discs to me.

The bigger the disc and brake pad surface area the more you will feel vibrations through it. The angles have to be within a few mm in order for the setup not to vibrate as far as I know.

Do you put hand brake on after spirited driving without letting brakes cool down? thats the main cause of it.
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby chiroman » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:06 pm

Mega, the handbrake has its own shoes and the drums are integral with the rear discs. Only used when stationary which is why they last for years. Suggest not to sit with foot on brakes tho after a fast run to avoid probs.

I had similar prob as Dayo with new budget discs and Mintex pads, can't remember type. Too much heat was generated and discs had blue overheated patches which seemed to be the cause of the judder which was scarily bad when braking hard.

Duncan Graeme did a good writeup on the Performance Friction discs and pads on here, I went that way and they have served me well.

I would suggest Dayo give Alyn at ASPerformance a bell. He is very knowledgeable and will provide a good solution.
chiroman

Postby Crockel » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:28 pm

As the previous posters have said discs are almost certainly the problem. If the vibration is mostly through the steering wheel it would suggest that the front disks are the likely culprits.

L
Crockel

Postby Steveyk » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:47 pm

Are they grooved discs? I had some and they were chronic. I was scared to brake because the noise and vibration were so bad. Changed back to plain discs, all was fine and still is.
There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.
Steveyk

Postby rocko » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:21 am

Alreet mate not sure if you've sorted this prob out yet .. i had the same thing on my Ap Discs .. i was convinced it was the front untill i inspected the rears .. They were pitted and rusty on the inside so had them skimmed @ BG Developments on bromsgrove .. AP Dealer ...

Sweet as now .. Might be worth a Cheak

Rocko
"666"
rocko

Postby Megaman » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:50 am

Just take the brakes off, no more judder so problem solved... they only slow you down anyway :lol: :lol: :lol:
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Return to Tech Help