Login    Register

B c coilover questions

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
B c coilover questions

Postby mckenzie97k » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:36 am

Right, I have bc Er series coilovers which were new on the car when I bought it last week, my question to yiu guys who have the bc's is...
What do you have the ride height set at? Mine are lowered and am thinking of putting it back to standard ride height?

Also are your backs noisy over rough ground, ie knocking? I know that the rose jointed top mounts can be a bit noisy on coilovers but is this the same with you peeps who have the bc's.

Thanks folks
HAD MORE CARS THAN I CAN REMEMBER......
THE BEST WERE ALWAYS THE FAST ONES!

AND NOW THE PROUD OWNER OF A BEAST!
mckenzie97k

Postby Gary75 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:15 am

I have the exetc fast road coilovers fitted so assume they are more or less the same kind of set up.

Mine a set quite low a good inch than standard

Fronts are 350mm from centre of wheel to lower edge of wheel arch lip
Backs are 340mm from centre of wheel to lower edge of wheel arch lip

I have set 8 clicks from soft and this is perfect setting for fast road use and daily driver, leave the harder clicks for the track, trust me a had mine set 20 clicks from soft with incorret geometry set up and the car handled like a pig, The car now handles perfect with 1.5mm tow in and 1.6 camber and 1.9 on rears, 8 clicks from soft, Olly at RCM said the harder ride will be less stable on the road due to uneven surface of the road.

The standard ride height for WR1 before fitting was 380 front and 360 back

i have no suspension noise from the coilovers so all is quiet, could be your drop links are worn? or bushes worn etc. The only noise i have is turing right at slow speed or in a car park full lock, sound like something is rubbing??? metal to metal?? could be a cv joint? cant here it when window is up.....

Hope you get it sorted....
Last edited by Gary75 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary75

Postby mckenzie97k » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:51 am

Hi Gary thanks for the info, where did you get your standard ride height info from I thought that the standard wr1 ride height was 350mm on the fronts and 355mm on the back. Can anyone else shed some light

mckenzie97k

Postby Gary75 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:38 pm

mckenzie97k wrote:Hi Gary thanks for the info, where did you get your standard ride height info from I thought that the standard wr1 ride height was 350mm on the fronts and 355mm on the back. Can anyone else shed some light

The height was measured before removal of the standard springs / suspension, i believe the standard ride height for the STi is 400mm the WR1 is lower by 20mm from factory hence 380mm

Mine goes over speed bumps up kerbs quite well no grounding etc, for the sake of an inch im leaving mine alone, it handles like on rails now.

Also make sure the geometry is correct or the car will handle like a pig and you will need imodium :D i speak from experience.....

My settings are for fast road.....

Ride height front 355mm back 340mm
Geometry settings toe in 1.5mm front and back
Camber -1.6 front
Camber -1.9 rear
8 clicks from soft, if you go any harder on the clicks you will feel every undulation in the road and your breakfast will soon come to head, low speed with hard increased clicks is worse. The increase in cliks to hard suspension will also make it handling worse on fast corners ( normal road surface ) the car will have a tendancy to skip acrross the road rather than dig in and grip, you need some damping to control the turn.

If you in any doubt give RCM a call you want regret it... speak with Ollie he will put you right :wink:
Gary75

Postby Megaman » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:09 pm

I have BC Coilovers - the standard recommended height for them by BC is far too low and will leave them cherping at you like a bird and scraping the ass on speed bumps. Great for a track but not road use. Nothing wrong with the standard STI ride height so thats what I raised mine to.
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby mckenzie97k » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:40 am

Well in that case mega I think that the car has been set to the bc setting, bloody awful it is.
What were the standard figures can you remember as I have one set which I thought were standard but Gary's settings are different to mine.
I'm going to set them up this week so hopefully I can get the correct standard figures from some where.

mckenzie97k

Postby Megaman » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:08 am

mckenzie97k wrote:Well in that case mega I think that the car has been set to the bc setting, bloody awful it is.
What were the standard figures can you remember as I have one set which I thought were standard but Gary's settings are different to mine.
I'm going to set them up this week so hopefully I can get the correct standard figures from some where.

I have no idea what the settings were although if you check out their website or give them a bell they will probably tell you: http://www.bc-racing.co.uk/coilovers/

I know mine were very low at the BC recommended settings and that there was no way it would make it over the larger speed humps near us.

The shocks also cherped like a bird when going over bigger bumps which sounded very strange as if they were being overworked. As soon as I put mine back to STI standard ride height they were fine. My local scooby dealer did this for me.

Next question will be what is standard STI ride height... ive just had a google and found: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-suspensi ... nts-2.html

Which shows: 2004 STi

Wheel arch height
[tolerance: ±12 mm (±0.47 in)]

Front
386 mm
(15.20 in)

Rear
366 mm
(14.41 in)

However I don't know if this is the same as the PPP as I know this changed the springs which may have slightly altered the height. A dealer should know for sure.

:)
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby Gary75 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:43 pm

Get someone on here with standard suspension set up to measure their ride height... job sorted :wink:

Or contact the company that fitted the coilovers, they should have taken standard ride height measurments before fitting the new units..

Or have they been fitted by some dogs arses who have slammed your car to the floor and only have one brain cell between them :shock:

How low is you car front and back?
Last edited by Gary75 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary75

Postby Megaman » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:51 pm

Gary75 wrote:Get someone on here with standard suspension set up to measure their ride height... job sorted :wink:

Go on then Gary, well volunteered :lol:
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby Gary75 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:02 pm

Megaman wrote:
Gary75 wrote:Get someone on here with standard suspension set up to measure their ride height... job sorted :wink:

Go on then Gary, well volunteered :lol:

Ive gave him my ride height before and after fitting the coilovers. I think we are debating on a few mm difference now :D
Gary75

Postby Megaman » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:32 pm

Well as the women say, every mm counts :lol:
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby Gary75 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:12 am

Megaman wrote:Well as the women say, every mm counts :lol:

I thought it was inches that count :thumb:
Gary75

Postby Gary75 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:44 pm

Did you get the ride height sorted? if so what height have you set front and rear?
Gary75

Postby mckenzie97k » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:10 pm

yeah gary i got the ride height sorted, thanks, ended up going through subaru uk, who didnt know they then went to some chap at prodrive developments on my behalf.
according to them 350mm front and 355mm rears.
i even went to the trouble of putting my original struts on to double check and it was right.

i got loads of heights from various places but i went with the prodrive settings they gave me.

mckenzie97k

Return to Tech Help