Login    Register

Help with air filter

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Help with air filter

Postby Steveyk » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:28 am

Is there any way I could tell if my car has had an induction kit fitted in the past? The reason I ask is because of my ongoing random CEL light issue at high boost. I noticed the other day that the black hose (with the MAF) from the airbox to the intake hose was loose. I refitted it properly and now the car feels strangled and seems to have a flat spot between 5500 and 6500rpm. The intake hose after the airbox & MAF is a blue Samco jobbie and it seems strange that you'd change that, but leave the standard airbox in?

I have a Hayward & Scott cat-back exhaust and I'm wondering whether the car was mapped for this and an induction kit, that the previous owner maybe removed before selling it.

I'm still getting a noticeable lurching/hesitancy on boost at full throttle in high gears, only now I seem to have restricted the airflow by fixing the leaking joint it actually feels slower!

I suppose the best bet is to go and get it rolling-roaded somewhere and see what's occuring, it's just frustrating not knowing what's going on!
There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.
Steveyk

Postby davetwr1 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:55 pm

hi steve give adam a call at scoobyclinic he will help he is a sound bloke :lol:
davetwr1

Postby Autotecnica » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:42 am

you can bring the car over to me if you want steve. i dont mind plugging it in and getting some values the fault and i can discuss with our mapper if it needs altering.
adam
Buxton Subaru Centre. 01298 27391
Autotecnica

Postby Steveyk » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:06 am

Update:

Took car up to Adam, despite having a massive cold he plugged his machine in and it'sthe boost solenoid that's throwing the CEL light. The car is overboosting, so he's checked all the plumbing which appears fine. After speaking to his mapper friend he reckons the car may have been mapped in the past as it had a Turbosmart boost controller and solenoid on when I bought it which a local "expert" removed.

The solenoid seems to be working so we've settled on a remap to sort it. This is good because A: after two years my car will be fixed and B: I get more BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST!

Will update further when said remap has been done. Once again, thanks to Adam & Jamie for being brilliant.
There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.
Steveyk

Return to Tech Help