Login    Register

Santa pod run times

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Santa pod run times

Postby Dayo » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:47 am

Had anyone done santa pod in there bog standard wr1? And what times have you achieved?

Iv seen people with slightly tunes wr1s getting like 13.5s when subaru claim it can do it in 12.8s standard!
Finally Got My Hands on a WR1 #039. Loving it ;)
Dayo

Postby Gary75 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:18 pm

I think it depends on the car the day and the driver :?: were the times taken from 10 x runs and the average worked out at 12.8 quarter of mile and 4.25 seconds 0 to 60. :idea: Still a quick car in all respects and quicker than the RB320 see these stats :thumb:

http://www.scouk.net/subaru-impreza/spe ... 1-rb5-22b/
Gary75

Postby Steveyk » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:11 pm

Hard to say but the best evo managed when they tested the WR1 was 5 and a bit seconds to 60. It's tricky to get the best launch in a 4wd turbo car, get the revs too low and you lose precious time off boost, slip the clutch too much and you lose time there, get the revs too high and you slap the limiter before you know where you are!

I tried a full-bore start once. I held the revs about 6k and just stepped off the clutch. It shifted like a bomb had gone off behind me but the smell of clutch put me off trying again...

I reckon all manufacturer's 0-60 times are best taken with a pinch of salt.
There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.
Steveyk

Postby Gary75 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:59 am

Set off nice and steady saves the clutch and drivetrain, then let all hell brake loose through the gears. Gives the other driver a nice surprise when he or she thinks they have beaten you off the mark :shock: i prefer this method and never fails :wink:
Gary75

Postby CAVEMAN » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:25 pm

Gary75 wrote:Set off nice and steady saves the clutch and drivetrain, then let all hell brake loose through the gears. Gives the other driver a nice surprise when he or she thinks they have beaten you off the mark :shock: i prefer this method and never fails :wink:

Now where is the fun in that? :lol:

Just let it rip....make sure 2 of your wheels are a little wet...set diff to lock, dump cluth.

yeehah...although going in a straight line isn't exactly what it was built for - get it on the dirt...sideways.
CAVEMAN

Postby Gary75 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:48 pm

CAVEMAN wrote:
Gary75 wrote:Set off nice and steady saves the clutch and drivetrain, then let all hell brake loose through the gears. Gives the other driver a nice surprise when he or she thinks they have beaten you off the mark :shock: i prefer this method and never fails :wink:

Now where is the fun in that? :lol:

Just let it rip....make sure 2 of your wheels are a little wet...set diff to lock, dump cluth.

yeehah...although going in a straight line isn't exactly what it was built for - get it on the dirt...sideways.

Get it dirty...... sideways :shock: :lol:

must admit with DCCD in auto and going round a bend power off then power on in the bend. Shit ones self what :shock: must remember to keep power on......
Gary75

Postby Steveyk » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:03 pm

Dirty? What is this 'dirty'? :D

I prefer the DCCD open and keep my foot in until the back starts to help steer the car. Much fun in the wet... Not so much fun if the wife is in the passenger seat and the shopping is in the boot.
There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.
Steveyk

Postby Gary75 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:27 pm

Steveyk wrote:Dirty? What is this 'dirty'? :D

I prefer the DCCD open and keep my foot in until the back starts to help steer the car. Much fun in the wet... Not so much fun if the wife is in the passenger seat and the shopping is in the boot.

My girfriend wont get in the car, she came for a test drive once!! i didnt even open it up, just a nice throttle open in second and one almigthy scream for the passenger seat, i thought the Turbo had blown :shock:

And when i parked up :blah:
Gary75

Postby Loco2527 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:04 pm

I have owned my WR1 for 18months now, and your right, its tricky to get the mix right between bogging down, and the familiar smell of clutch.

Took my mum out for the first time in 18 months the other day (she finally agreed to get in it...). I hooked it up just right, and did a decent 0-60ish launch. She screamed on launch, and as we went in to a bend, she shouted "oh my god, oh my god, I hope your a good driver..."

priceless.

needless to say, she doesn't want to go in it ever again...
Loco2527

Postby CAVEMAN » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:10 am

Not sure if the EcuTek remap can add a launch control setting, but certainly in the Simtek or Solaris ECU's you can have this.

Makes a massive difference as the boost can build at the lights...so there is not waiting for it as you set off normally.

Just hooks up, lights the tyres and off you go. Just get ready to grab second pretty quick.

Think my first ever try at a small air strip here was a 12.8... finally got it down to a 12.3 by the thrid and final run. Never done it since, prefer the gravel roads in the forest.
CAVEMAN

Postby Matty WR1 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:02 am

I don't see the problem getting a quick getaway without cooking your clutch - managed a 4.9 secs 0-60 on a digi tester meter thing. And that was a slight incline ;) Trick is not to be angry or aggressive :)
Matty WR1

Postby SteveS » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:32 pm

Would love to see a thread with pics of passangers faces on launching a 1 off the start line, perhaps i will turn the Gopro around at Gruntingthorpe this year. :puke2: :woohoo:
SteveS

Return to Tech Help