Login    Register

charge rate

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
charge rate

Postby Daz » Sat May 19, 2012 10:30 am

morning all , after having to jump start the car afew times lately decided to change the battery , which did appear to be the original kobe industries one !
anyway put the new one on and checked the charge rate and it's fluctuating just over 15v on tick over , but would normally expect it to be around 14v . so do i have an alternator fault overcharging or is this normal for a subaru as i havn't checked before . thanks
Daz

Postby Daz » Sat May 19, 2012 3:48 pm

been out for a run now , just checked the charge rate and it's back down to around 14v so all looks good :D
Daz

Postby Bonovox » Sat May 19, 2012 4:23 pm

On the subject of your alternator, do you know that it's a good idea to always drive with your side lights on? Some quirk or other, so that there is a drain on the battery or the alternator doesn't charge it......... Something like that :?: sure a more technically minded chap will keep you right. :oops:
Bonovox

Postby Daz » Sat May 19, 2012 8:25 pm

i've also heard of this but i'm not too sure how true it is , after checking my charging today it doesn't make any difference wether the lights are on or not , and surely there is enough drain from just the power required to make the plugs spark ! maybe this was something the stealers were telling customers who were trying to claim warranty on flat batteries :?
Daz

Postby John Mc » Sat May 19, 2012 8:37 pm

Bonovox wrote:On the subject of your alternator, do you know that it's a good idea to always drive with your side lights on? Some quirk or other, so that there is a drain on the battery or the alternator doesn't charge it......... Something like that :?: sure a more technically minded chap will keep you right. :oops:

True. It has an intelligent alternator which needs a "load" before it starts charging... putting the side lights on means it is subjected to a "load" and begins charging.
[Just incase this gets lost in translation, I am not slandering you, I know people can be sensitive to these harsh words.]
John Mc

Postby MUNK » Sat May 19, 2012 8:37 pm

Ran mine with side lights on... As it was always going flat... Made no difference what so ever?? :roll:
"you can do it if you special brew it!!"
MUNK

Return to Tech Help