Login    Register

What should i set my dccd on to get maximum mpg

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Postby Steveyk » Sat May 19, 2012 10:32 am

chiroman wrote:A few years ago I looked into getting more mpg by having an economy map but was told not possible as although you could run a lean map as soon as you booted it, it would be too lean and ECU not able to respond adequately and engine kapput!

Bob Rawle advised just run off boost ie approx 2500rpm max which is still a reasonable speed on the motorway but in the slow lane.

At the time I was using the WR1 80mile daily drive of mainly M25 and some B roads and would fill up to the brim each time.

So did the economy run out of curiosity, keeping off boost, achieved 29mpg, I think about 65mph in the slow lane of the M25, which wasn't a great experience.

Although this may seem reasonable mpg if I had to drive like that every day then why not get a turbo diesel and achieve 65mpg! My neighbour just bought a new BMW 318d and gets these sort of figures.

The economy run lasted for a week, which was torture and pointless for a WR1 and I went back to normal running in the fast lane 80-100mph and about 22mpg which incidentally is about the same as my Ford Cortina 1600 from the dim and distant past.

When I first got the WR1 nearly 6 yrs ago I didn't expect it to be economical but it was a bit of a shock with 16mpg across country.

The turbo Impreza isn't a lean burn motor even off boost which is a pity, but as Mike Wood said "it's all in your right foot".

I've never worked out the miles/tankful as I fill up each time which is more accurate. Just note miles since last fill up, litres to fill up, get miles/litre and IIRC divide by 0.22 to convert to mpg. the ans is between 16 and 22 so why bother.

Pretty much my experience too. Did a run from Stoke up to the Lake Disctrict at 60-65mph and managed 29mpg on the tank, although my patience snapped on the way home for the last few miles :lol:

Nobody in their right mind buys a car with a 2.0 turbo pushing out 300bhp and expects it to be economical.

A few weeks ago I went out in a golf GTI edition 35 across north Wales. Driving like I'd drive the Impreza it only managed to average 27mpg, including the motorway.

Can't remember who it was on here that said don't think of it as miles per gallon, but smiles per gallon instead!
There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.
Steveyk

Postby W1 KRB » Sat May 19, 2012 7:23 pm

Took it easy on way to autotecnica today never over 4000 rpm and I got... 84 miles first quarter, 150 miles at half tank, then Adam took car for "spirited 5 mile drive then left there got 50 miles back and was at 205 miles at quarter tank, then raced an evo so had to find a garage..... Doh!
W1 KRB

Postby Steveyk » Sun May 20, 2012 5:31 pm

W1 KRB wrote:Took it easy on way to autotecnica today never over 4000 rpm and I got... 84 miles first quarter, 150 miles at half tank, then Adam took car for "spirited 5 mile drive then left there got 50 miles back and was at 205 miles at quarter tank, then raced an evo so had to find a garage..... Doh!

More importantly, did you beat the evo? :lol:
Steveyk

Postby W1 KRB » Sun May 20, 2012 5:33 pm

It was a ten fq300, was very tight but just had the legs on him up to "ahem" 70, was on the m1 so didn't go crazy
W1 KRB

Postby Steveyk » Sun May 20, 2012 5:37 pm

Glad to see you didn't disgrace the 1!
Steveyk

Postby Megaman » Sun May 20, 2012 8:02 pm

I picked John Mc up for a spin one weekend and we stumbled across an evo. Ended up being rather amusing and of course the WR1 did rather well :lol:
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby Matty WR1 » Mon May 21, 2012 7:22 am

Who buys a 320 pony WR1 and then worries about MPG!!!! Best go buy a GX or something ;)

I'm averaging 200 miles on a tank - best being 260, worst being 150.

Personally I like to drive with the diff fully open, suits my driving style and makes for a more direct front end - although not in the wet lol!
Matty WR1

Previous

Return to Tech Help