Login    Register

Oil Catch Tank

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Oil Catch Tank

Postby marchar » Tue May 15, 2012 8:25 pm

I have been looking into oil catch tanks but dont know much about them?

Does anyone know if they would benefit the 1 or is it just more bling for the engine bay ?? Or maybe it already has one ?

:?
Nobody told me it was this brutal !
marchar

Postby rossm » Wed May 16, 2012 4:55 pm

I have fitted an air oil separator to my 1 rather than a catch can as then you don't need to worry about emptying the can over time. Previously I was seeing a small amount of oil usage on track days but the AOS has completely eliminated that. This is where I got mine from:

http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/produ ... cts_id=191
rossm

Postby marchar » Wed May 16, 2012 7:53 pm

That looks a better option, and is that fitted in place of the standard oil filler cap? If so looks pretty simple to fit 8)

Thanks for that bit of info :wink:
Nobody told me it was this brutal !
marchar

Postby Gary75 » Wed May 16, 2012 8:34 pm

rossm wrote:I have fitted an air oil separator to my 1 rather than a catch can as then you don't need to worry about emptying the can over time. Previously I was seeing a small amount of oil usage on track days but the AOS has completely eliminated that. This is where I got mine from:

http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/produ ... cts_id=191

That looks the dogs bollocks. What gains other than a cleaner inlet etc.
Any problems to report? how often do you clean out?
Gary75

Postby rossm » Wed May 16, 2012 9:10 pm

marchar wrote:That looks a better option, and is that fitted in place of the standard oil filler cap? If so looks pretty simple to fit 8)

That's it, replaces the oil filler cap by screwing into the existing thread and then has a separate smaller filler cap built in for topping up the oil. They have even designed the smaller hex head cap to be the same size as the wheel nuts so you don't need to carry additional tools - very nicely put together.

The main benefit as mentioned is obviously no oil in the inlet tract / intercooler which can cause detonation and also minimises oil loss over time via the breathers if you are using the car hard. Fitting took me ~ 15 mins and all parts are provided, right down to cable ties. Here is a link to their fitting video on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGMb_QM1xpg
rossm

Postby Gary75 » Thu May 17, 2012 6:42 am

rossm wrote:
marchar wrote:That looks a better option, and is that fitted in place of the standard oil filler cap? If so looks pretty simple to fit 8)

That's it, replaces the oil filler cap by screwing into the existing thread and then has a separate smaller filler cap built in for topping up the oil. They have even designed the smaller hex head cap to be the same size as the wheel nuts so you don't need to carry additional tools - very nicely put together.

The main benefit as mentioned is obviously no oil in the inlet tract / intercooler which can cause detonation and also minimises oil loss over time via the breathers if you are using the car hard. Fitting took me ~ 15 mins and all parts are provided, right down to cable ties. Here is a link to their fitting video on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGMb_QM1xpg

I dont drive the car hard, or use it on a track day as stated. Simple fit as per video. Would this still be a benefit to the normal road use car?
Gary75

Postby rossm » Thu May 17, 2012 8:58 am

Gary75 wrote:I dont drive the car hard, or use it on a track day as stated. Simple fit as per video. Would this still be a benefit to the normal road use car?

Anything that reduces oil getting into the intake will be good for the car. One of the questions on their FAQ is:

Q: How will this AOS increase my octane?
A: When the oil vapors are mixed into the intake system, it effectively lowers the octane which can cause detonation. Installing our AOS will eliminate the oil vapors in your intake system thus eliminating the loss of octane. On modified cars this let's you get more aggressive with your timing/boost maps and will allow you to make more power!

So I see this as providing extra safety in reducing knock/detonation in a similar way that I would hunt for 99 octane (Tesco / V-Power) fuel over Texaco / Esso / BP / ... super unleaded. My engine is standard - no remap/intake/exhaust mods but I see this as a reliability mod along with the oil cooler I also have fitted.

Here is a good article that looks at knock / detonation, the last couple of paragraphs cover off oil in the intake:

http://www.kitcarmag.com/techarticles/e ... index.html
rossm

Return to Tech Help