Login    Register

Inside your rear shocks, with Richard Hammond

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Inside your rear shocks, with Richard Hammond

Postby Steveyk » Mon May 07, 2012 11:47 am

Ok, I lied about Richard Hammond, but these are the pics I got after replacing my rear shocks. I wanted to see the infamous grease inside the body of the shock.. If you want to service your shocks, read Carl's sticky and then have a look at these pics:

So your shock is off the car and in the shed/garage/kitchen:

Look at the bottom of the body, you'll see a 14mm nut. When you try and undo this the damper turns inside the body, hence the slot cut into the end of the rod as per Carl's advice. Cheers Carl!

Turn the shock upright, clamp it into something and then take the nut off the last couple of threads. When the nut is off, you can lift the damper cartridge out of the shock body:

And pull!

Out comes the cartridge! You can see the sealed damper unit (the chromed bit) and the bumpstop (the yellow rubber bit). Also, note my extremely tidy workshop and health & safety slippers...

Now you can see the 'grease' which does in fact have the consistency of butter or margerine. Not very greasy at all. I tried to get some pics down inside the shock body...

At this point it's important to have a brew.

I tried to take some photos of the damage to the outside of the damper cartridge, but it's tricky with the reflections:

You can just about make out how it's worn and polished in steps up the shaft. What you need to do now is if you're refurbishing them, follow Carl's thread on cleaning and regreasing inside the body. If like me you replaced them, then throw the old ones away, wash your hands and have another brew and a donut.

There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.
Steveyk

Postby Carl Curtis » Mon May 07, 2012 1:26 pm

Good post Steve.However I am not sure that Donut's and exercise bikes should be seen in the same picture!!! Good to see the pedals being used to store tools on.
And get yourself a new workmate that one looks well past its sell by date.
Carl Curtis

Postby Micktype WR1 » Mon May 07, 2012 5:38 pm

Brilliant !

Just a thought though......... Rather than throw them away, wouldn't they make a set for refurbing so they could be swapped for a set that needs doing ? I know that Central Subaru in Willenhall would want them for just this purpose. Once done, it's a drive in, drive out service that could be offered, refurbing the next set that comes off an Sti / WR1.
Micktype WR1

Postby Steveyk » Tue May 08, 2012 7:14 am

Well I did offer them to Carl, but I'm not sure about the wear to the shafts. Also I damaged the very top of the shaft with a pair of grips trying to get the nut off one of them. If anybody wants them they're going free to a good home!
Steveyk

Postby John Mc » Tue May 08, 2012 9:14 am

Have you got flooring on the wall.... or is there a socket on the floor? :lol:
[Just incase this gets lost in translation, I am not slandering you, I know people can be sensitive to these harsh words.]
John Mc

Postby Steveyk » Tue May 08, 2012 12:57 pm

Welcome to my shed of many wonders... where the rules of time and space no longer apply. Is it the wall or is it the floor? Actually it is the wall, and the previous owner decided to use B&Q's finest laminate to decorate.
Steveyk

Postby John Mc » Tue May 08, 2012 2:24 pm

Steveyk wrote:Welcome to my shed of many wonders... where the rules of time and space no longer apply. Is it the wall or is it the floor? Actually it is the wall, and the previous owner decided to use B&Q's finest laminate to decorate.

I know a couple of people that have created their own time and space through the use of a "natural gravitational field". :lol:

No expense spared on the walling then :roll: You must have been so pleased when you saw the quality of finish :lol:
[Just incase this gets lost in translation, I am not slandering you, I know people can be sensitive to these harsh words.]
John Mc

Postby Steveyk » Tue May 08, 2012 3:04 pm

It's fantastic! It's main benefit is being wipe-clean, no matter what gets splashed up it :lol:
Steveyk

Postby Megaman » Tue May 08, 2012 4:14 pm

Steveyk wrote:It's fantastic! It's main benefit is being wipe-clean, no matter what gets splashed up it :lol:

Wipe-Clean walls no matter what gets splashed up it...?

John will be okay with that then :lol:
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby Steveyk » Tue May 08, 2012 7:22 pm

yeah, you know, the usual stuff. Oil, grease, rim wax, you name it... :lol:
Steveyk

Return to Tech Help