Login    Register

Maybe Warped Disks?

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Maybe Warped Disks?

Postby Dayo » Sat May 05, 2012 4:49 pm

hi just bought a wr1 and its got the tarox slotted front disks. when i start braking at about 60mph, i get a fairly fierce steering wheel judder but not through the brake pedal from what i can remember!

would it be warped disks? they seems to have some hot spots round the outside of the disks. not sure how long they have been on either but pads still have plenty of life.

if they are warped, can you get the skimmed flat again? or is it a new disk job?

Thanks
Dayo
Dayo

Postby Gary75 » Sat May 05, 2012 5:02 pm

Does the car only rattle / vibrate when braking?
If so discs warped or fitted incorrectly when new, all surfaces must be clean with no traces of dirt, also when fitting new discs you require a dial gauge to check run out, if out of tolerance then remove disc turn one stud replace, check again. Many fail to do this and over many thousands of miles and as little as 1000 miles you will or can experience disc run out and subsequently vibration through the steering wheel.
Another problem is aftermarket non OE parts are not manufactured to OE standards.
Do the discs have a deep lip on the outer edges? If so hope you knocked a couple of hundred quid off the asking price :thumb:
Also check wheel bearings
Gary75

Postby Dayo » Sat May 05, 2012 5:09 pm

i got him down by £200 exactly. i had some new disks on my focus rs and they warped fairly quickly as i had to brake very hard one night after doing a high speed.

ill check when i go out in it later, but they luck like they havent even been on 1000 mile yet!
Finally Got My Hands on a WR1 #039. Loving it ;)
Dayo

Postby Gary75 » Sat May 05, 2012 7:21 pm

Dayo wrote:i got him down by £200 exactly. i had some new disks on my focus rs and they warped fairly quickly as i had to brake very hard one night after doing a high speed.

ill check when i go out in it later, but they luck like they havent even been on 1000 mile yet!

You may need to take the discs off to examine. Another cause could be sticking pistion / sliders, braking on one side of the disc only again check pistons are free etc. Is vibration present when you first apply the brakes from cold, or does the vibration manifest after a couple of applications?
Gary75

Postby Dayo » Sat May 05, 2012 7:22 pm

From cold i think
Dayo

Postby Gary75 » Sat May 05, 2012 7:27 pm

I would say then 99% discs. If your buying a new set go OE standard you wont have a problem. :thumb:

I have changed a few sets of discs in my time and found the cheaper variants dont last, there ok for customers who prefer the cheaper sets, but my own vehicles get the oe dealer parts they last and dont vibrate after a couple of thousand miles...
Gary75

Postby Dayo » Sat May 05, 2012 7:29 pm

How much are oe disks?

I thought tarox were expensive disks?
Dayo

Postby Gary75 » Sat May 05, 2012 7:35 pm

Dayo wrote:How much are oe disks?

I thought tarox were expensive disks?

The OE vary on price and where you purchase from.

Tarox are good discs, but something not fitted right if they are vibrating when braking or they were faulty when new.

My preference is OE parts. I would assume Bremdo discs fitted to compliment them big gold brake calipers :shock:
Gary75

Postby Dayo » Sat May 05, 2012 7:36 pm

Haha could you find me a rough price for 2 please
Dayo

Return to Tech Help