Login    Register
  • Author
Metalic grinding noise possibly brakes or p/steering pump.

Postby Smasher » Wed May 02, 2012 12:09 pm

Hi,

I am getting a sound similar to the stone stuck in between the pad and disks sound, but it is only happening when turning left at say 10mph upwards. When parking ect there is no noise.

As a bit of back ground less than 100 miles ago the car had a full service, new clutch, new rear brake disks pads and shoes, and also i had the power steering belt replaced. This noise was not there before the service.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance, Kev.
WR1 all the way!!
Smasher

Postby brenmyster » Wed May 02, 2012 1:19 pm

I had a heat shield come loose on a pipe and was grinding against the steering column when turning at slow speeds.

If you jack it up take the underside protector off you can see it whilst turning the wheel.

Maybe the cause

Good luck
ImageImage

Regards and be lucky !
Simon
brenmyster

Postby CAVEMAN » Wed May 02, 2012 1:19 pm

jeez, could be a few things really..not an expert by any stretch, but here are my stab in the dark guesses.

Belt tensioner bearing (if it has one - my last car did and the same noise drove me mad)?

Wheel bearing? Does it change pitch, or vary with different steering angles/speeds?

A few things would be to note if it changes with engine rpm/load, roll along dip clutch or knock into neutral and then rev...then you know if its engine related or elsewhere on car. Constant speed/rpm with varying steering inputs...again can try this in gear or not.

Sure somebody will have better suggestions though. One of those things that if it hasn't happened to you then difficult to know really.
CAVEMAN

Postby Bonovox » Wed May 02, 2012 1:38 pm

Wouldn't be this would it?

forum/viewtopic.php?t=13975&highlight=
Bonovox

G

Postby R1ynb » Wed May 02, 2012 2:21 pm

I'd chek power steering fluid level
R1ynb

Postby SteveS » Wed May 02, 2012 6:42 pm

By a weird coincidence the same happened to me yesterday, thought exactly the same, checked out both brake calipers, wheels and looked underneath the back of the car but failed to notice the rubber wheel arch trim that had come adrift and was resting on the tyre causing all the noise. Pulled it off and threw it in the boot. :oops: Hope your prob is the same as mine.
SteveS

Postby Smasher » Thu May 03, 2012 7:32 am

cheers all for the speedy replies, I dont think its a bearing issue as its not constant, it sounds more like the heat shield, or rubber arch touching sort of thing, anyway i know what I will be sorting this weekend.

thanks again, Kev.
WR1 all the way!!
Smasher

Postby SteveS » Thu May 03, 2012 7:23 pm

Let us know the outcome mate, everything helps. Image
SteveS

Postby Smasher » Sun May 06, 2012 11:09 am

ok just taken front wheels off, could see nothing adrift, heatshield in place and fully intact, have given everything a rinse and clean, disks and calipers ect. fluid level was high so i have got that down inside the levels. will take it for a drive and see if any different. Fingers crossed.
WR1 all the way!!
Smasher

Postby Smasher » Tue May 08, 2012 11:45 am

Bugger, no different, drove it around a trading estate, and the noise is not constant kind of only really when you first throw it in, rather than all the way around the corner.

Sine then i have now pressure washed them out, and this also did nothing. I have sice tried to remove the caliper to see if anything tuck in there, and i could not get the bolts undone, didn't want to break anything.

I think it will have to go in the garage. I did read in the instuction manuel that if the pads are low there is a metalic screeching when the brakes are applied!! Could this be the early stages of that?
WR1 all the way!!
Smasher

Postby Bonovox » Tue May 08, 2012 1:13 pm

Bonovox

Postby Smasher » Sat May 12, 2012 4:23 pm

Ok, its not the creaking similar to that thread above, i got the garage to look at it and they seem to think that it needs new pads and disks on the front. So that was the problem.

cheers for all the help.
Kev.
WR1 all the way!!
Smasher

Postby Smasher » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:48 am

Bugger still not fixed, i have had the front disks and pads replaced, and the noise is still there, just to re-cap does anyone think it could be related to the power steering pump? As i had a new belt fitted.

Starting to think its a wheel bearing starting to go, hence it nod griding for long, only when full load is applied?

Any other ideas people?

thanks Kev.
WR1 all the way!!
Smasher

Postby Gary75 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Smasher wrote:Bugger still not fixed, i have had the front disks and pads replaced, and the noise is still there, just to re-cap does anyone think it could be related to the power steering pump? As i had a new belt fitted.

Starting to think its a wheel bearing starting to go, hence it nod griding for long, only when full load is applied?

Any other ideas people?

thanks Kev.

I have the same problem when turning right or going round a roundabout
all depends on speed, mostly when going slow... You cant here the noise unless the window is open. It sounds like the brake disc is touching the back plate or a stone has wedged between pads / back plate etc. I have taken the pads out, checked the back plate, nothing hanging loose or rubbing against the wheel, checked for bearing noise and free play all quiet. Checked drive shaft all suspension parts all seem fine. Could be impending outer CV joint starting to go, but these usally knock on full lock or sound like a bag od spanners in a washing machine. Wheel bearings usally whine, whinning increases with speed, Spin the wheel, it should be silent
or use this http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=bzB ... =endscreen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHIjsvt9 ... creen&NR=1

My discs and pads were fitted new before i purchased the car, i didnt notice any noise on the test drive, but i didnt have the window down?
Gary75

Postby Smasher » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:03 pm

Sounds like a similar noise, but i have just had new pads and disks fitted all around, and my noise is when turning sharlpy or at speed. cheers for the reply though.
WR1 all the way!!
Smasher

Postby Smasher » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:52 pm

Ok, well all its finally been fixed, turns out the chaps the did the rear brakes has somehow bent / distorted the rear brake disc shields, i took the wheels of and looked at these, but the didn't see to be touching around the edges, but there was definately something worng, anyway the garage did the work and appologised for the inconvienience, and obviously didn't charge me for the work.

Hope this reply helps anyone else that gets the same noise.

cheers Kev.
WR1 all the way!!
Smasher

Postby SteveS » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:56 pm

Thanks for letting us know the outcome Kev, much apreciated. After all that, who in thier right mind would own a WR1.........................................................MMMMMMMMeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :lol: :lol: :lol:
SteveS

Postby asperformance » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:23 am

the rear brake shields appear to distort with age/corrosion and have come across a number of cars having issues in this way
ASPerformance
PFC BRAKES, PAGID, MOTUL, FERODO, BREMBO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA
online shop!!
asperformance

Return to Tech Help