Login    Register

BC Coilovers - yes or no?

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
BC Coilovers - yes or no?

Postby Steveyk » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:40 am

I have a couple of questions before I take the plunge and buy a set-

1: On occasion I like to drive my car 'hard'. Are they actually going to give better roadholding and grip than standard?

2: I occasionally run an express limo service ( :lol: ) so on the softest settings, how do they compare to the standard ride?

3: Am I going to start adjusting them and ruin my car's handling?

4: How do I measure the ride height? Presumably when the old shock is off, you set the coilover to the same length using the mounting points as a reference?

As always, cheers for the advice fellas :D
Last edited by Steveyk on Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.
Steveyk

Postby CAVEMAN » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:40 am

Just my thoughts after a couple of years with them...I have the ER series fitted on standard ride height. Although I did change all bushes, drop links and ARB's at the same time.

1 - YES, OH GOOD YES. As long as you get some proper geometry and corner weighting done during the install.

2 - Never had them on the softest setting - too much faff to do all 4 corners top and bottom. They do increase the NVH due to the rigid mounts - and if you go for the adjustable top mounts or not as these leave small gaps into the cabin (rears).

3 - Probably only initially, and then when you go to track days or in bad weather for snow/ice. If you drive enthusiastically, then you'll be happy to have 1 set up for 90% of your time.
CAVEMAN

Postby Gary75 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:50 pm

I would measure the current ride height front and rear before you install them. My exe-tc suspension is set at 340mm all round but in my opinion is to low. The standard ride height as per the technical data given to me by Roger Clark is 380mm front and 360mm back, this also gives your all the settings ie camber, toe, after fitting the new suspension. This information can then be used to set up the car for 4 wheel alignment at a local tyre place who only have the standard settings from Subaru.
I have recently had the 4 wheel alignment check at my local garage Chemix and the standard settings including camber were out!!! they manualy entered the settings given from Roger Clark and all was well..
Fitted new front tyres as the inner edges had worn. I hope the Roger Clark settings are ok or the bloody tyres will be wearing again. The steering seems fine, steering wheel is centre.

As for road holding, havent driven a standard WR1 so cant comment, all i can say is my car handles like its on rails, firm and precise handling :wink:
Gary75

Postby Steveyk » Thu May 03, 2012 8:45 pm

Have made a decision to buy two KYB rear struts based on the following factors:

1. The wife
2. Prodrive probably know more about suspension than I do
3. I can't be arsed fiddling to find the ideal setup with coilovers, standard works fine for me!
4. Originality

I've fitted one tonight, thanks to Carl's thread it only took me about an hour. I took the back seats out last night.

The old one is knackered. There's side-to-side play in the damper shaft and the shaft looks polished in steps going up the length of it.

I'll try and get one open and take some pics of the grease (or whatever is left of it!)
Steveyk

Postby W1 KRB » Fri May 04, 2012 7:22 am

Let us now how you get on because I'm having the exact same dilemma at the moment! Are you replacing top mounts too?!
W1 KRB

Postby Gary75 » Fri May 04, 2012 9:22 pm

Ive had a play today and can confirm go for coil overs, car handles better, adjusting height ok but keep the locking and adjuster rings lubricated, had to give mine a good soak with easing oil. I used a length of wood to measure centre of wheel to lower edge of wheel arch using markings on wood, then measure lower edge of threads to upper ring making marks on wood, screwed up both 15mm to raise ride height, replace wheel move car back and fourth to settle supension then use wood again to measure new settings both side the same but not a big difference in height, job done. Will have another play over the weekend
Gary75

Postby Steveyk » Sat May 05, 2012 8:25 am

Standard shocks fitted, feels like a different car now. Whatever aspect of the handling you can think of, it's better. Quieter, smoother, it rolls less, it turns in faster, it's ace! Worth every penny! There's a road near me that I can drive up in my VW Caddy at 40mph and I'm bouncing out of the seat and wheels start leaving the road... I took it at 60 in the 1 last night and it didn't even break sweat!

I can definitely say that whatever you go for, coilovers or standard, they will improve the drive massively :lol:

I'll put some pics of the old ones up so you can see what I'm on about...
Steveyk

Return to Tech Help