Login    Register

Brake noise

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Brake noise

Postby Bonovox » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:46 pm

Driving home the other day I suddenly started getting a noise from the O/S/F wheel when I braked.
It's a sort of noise like a cable tightening or metal straining, a creaking rather than a scraping noise, it does it when I am stopped as well as moving.
My thoughts are I might have picked up a bit of rust or a stone between the pad and disc or somewhere in the caliper? Would this be possible and any way to sort it apart from stripping down the brakes? :confused:
Bonovox

Postby Megaman » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:02 pm

With my old brake setup (ebc turbo grooved + yellow stuff) i got a stone trapped somewhere i think between disc and heat shield... that made a right racket but only when moving. Jet wash sorted it out in the end so take it to a hand car wash in this weather and let the polish help pay their rent. :lol:
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby Shane » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:54 pm

Creaking brakes seem to be a common problem. Mine creak as do some others in this thread:

forum/viewtopic.php?t=13748
Shane

Postby SteveS » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:09 pm

With all this road salt/ grit on the tarmac this time of year, the sh1t gets in all areas and squeals like a stuck pig, I tend to wash out the calipers with a pressure washer........................leave the WR1 at home and take her car to work. :D
SteveS

Postby Bonovox » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:03 pm

Shane wrote:Creaking brakes seem to be a common problem. Mine creak as do some others in this thread:

forum/viewtopic.php?t=13748

Ahhh okay cheers for that. Sounds like I have the same problem. It's not that loud, probably had it for a while but with my blitz and the cd blaring I have never really noticed it. :freak:
Bonovox

Postby chiroman » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:35 pm

had this creaking too for ages, finally got round to sorting it by stripping out pads, good clean up, pads and calipers, reassemble with copper grease between pads and pistons and where pads locate in calipers etc, also noted pads wear slightly concave so took that out with medium abrasive paper on bit of MDF for flat surface, can't say if that caused creak. Check seals not split and pistons sticking.

this the noise perchance?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQUnAzHY7Vw
chiroman

Postby Bonovox » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:13 am

chiroman wrote:

this the noise perchance?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQUnAzHY7Vw

That's the bugger but mine is not half as bad as that .......thank god. :) If it was that loud it would get very annoying very quickly.
Bonovox

Return to Tech Help