Login    Register

HID conversions

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
HID conversions

Postby Steveyk » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:33 pm

Can anybody who has HIDs tell me if they're E-marked, and if not whether you've ever been told off at MOT time?
There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.
Steveyk

Postby asperformance » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:08 pm

never seen any e-marked and a lot of peeps are going to have ongoig issues i believe as new MOT rules have tightened up on aftermarket lighting..........
ASPerformance
PFC BRAKES, PAGID, MOTUL, FERODO, BREMBO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA
online shop!!
asperformance

HID

Postby GUD5Y WR1 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:11 pm

I have been told it will fail the MOT if fitted. :(
GUD5Y WR1

Postby Steveyk » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:00 pm

I was thinking of getting a set from HIDS4U, they make no mention of MOT's or E-marking. Whenever I've had an MOT they check the beam alignment but I've never seen them check the bulbs or anything...

This is directly from the DVLA site on what an MOT test involves:

Lights

Condition, operation including HID and LED headlamps for cleaning, self levelling and security. Headlamp aim. Main beam warning light.
Steveyk

Postby Steveyk » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:14 pm

Just found this in the official testing manual

MOT testing manual section 1.7

Information - Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.
Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given.
Headlamp washers may work in conjunction with the windscreen washers (when the dipped beam headlamps are switched on) or by a separate switch.
HID lamps may be identified by:

taking a few seconds to reach full intensity

having a bluish tinge to the light

having an igniter module/inverter behind the headlamp

having ¡¥DCR¡¦ marked on the headlamp lens.
HID headlamps use high voltage and extra care should be taken when inspecting these items.

method of inspection
Where HID or LED dipped beam headlamps are fitted, switch on the headlamps and check the operation of any headlamp levelling and cleaning devices fitted.

Reason for rejection
A headlamp levelling or cleaning device inoperative or otherwise obviously defective.
Steveyk

Postby Megaman » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:23 pm

So if you have HIDs and have washers and self levelling systems then they must work. It doesn't make it clear though if you have to have the washers or self levellers.

I always thought you had to have headlight washers and self levellers if you had HIDs but not sure now... hmm...
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby marchar » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:25 pm

Gotta love the ministry wording!
Nobody told me it was this brutal !
marchar

Postby Steveyk » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:20 pm

Megaman wrote:So if you have HIDs and have washers and self levelling systems then they must work. It doesn't make it clear though if you have to have the washers or self levellers.

I always thought you had to have headlight washers and self levellers if you had HIDs but not sure now... hmm...

As I read it, if they're there, they have to work, but if they aren't, they can't fail you for it?

Anybody on here speak MOT? :D
Steveyk

Postby SteveS » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:56 pm

Steveyk wrote:
Megaman wrote:So if you have HIDs and have washers and self levelling systems then they must work. It doesn't make it clear though if you have to have the washers or self levellers.

As I read it, if they're there, they have to work, but if they aren't, they can't fail you for it?

Its a bit like having a spare wheel and tyre that has to conform in all respects, but if you take it outa the car for and MOT, they cant fail you if its not there. :)
SteveS

Postby Steveyk » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:26 pm

SteveS wrote:
Steveyk wrote:

Its a bit like having a spare wheel and tyre that has to conform in all respects, but if you take it outa the car for and MOT, they cant fail you if its not there. :)

Balls to it. HIDs ordered and on the way. They'd better be as good as everyone says!
Steveyk

Postby Megaman » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:58 pm

Well the 'two Steves' seem to read it as I do in that if you have the other systems they must work if you don't then they cant fail you for it.

Alyn, have you got some additional info as to these new lighting rules?

Not sure what is involved in fitting a HIDs setup, is it a one way system or are they just a set of better bulbs that can be swapped back if required to get through an MOT. Must admit getting back in the WR1 the lights don't seem fantastic compared to the discovery/megane ive been driving since August - neither have xenons/hids.

:)
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby Steveyk » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:05 pm

My thoughts exactly, MOT fail, swap the bulbs back, retest, get home and fit HIDs again.
Steveyk

Postby asperformance » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:34 pm

we have recently had 2x customer cars failed (different stations) for aftermarket HID's...........rules change 01/01/12
ASPerformance
online shop!!
asperformance

Postby chiroman » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:32 pm

Latest manuals here:
http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/d ... guides.htm

Inspection Manual for Classes 3, 4, 5 and 7 Vehicles – Browse Full Download (2.44Mb)(Private Passenger and Light Commercial Vehicle Testing)

typical kit:
http://newview.en.made-in-china.com/pro ... -Lamp.html

http://dohon-light.en.made-in-china.com ... n-Kit.html
chiroman

Postby Megaman » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:11 pm

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4s01000701.htm

This is the section in question from the link above and I still cant see any reason for failing the car for having HIDs if they work properly.

Was there a reason in particular that your two customers cars failed for having the HIDs Alyn?

Interesting reading :)
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby Clark » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:51 pm

They're illegal if the car doesn't have self levelling ability or headlamp washers isn't it?

I've not had a problem with mine over the last 2 years but we'll see how it gets on this time!
Going round corners just got a whole lot faster...
Clark

Postby Megaman » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:12 pm

Clark wrote:They're illegal if the car doesn't have self levelling ability or headlamp washers isn't it?

I've not had a problem with mine over the last 2 years but we'll see how it gets on this time!

Just what I always thought but cant find that anywhere in writing...?
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby Steveyk » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:21 pm

Megaman wrote:
Clark wrote:They're illegal if the car doesn't have self levelling ability or headlamp washers isn't it?

Just what I always thought but cant find that anywhere in writing...?

It doesn't say that, it says IF they're fitted, they MUST work, but in practice it may be difficult to ascertain whether the self-levelling works, so the benefit of the doubt is given. Nowhere does it say aftermarket HIDs or other bulbs will be failed.

And if it isn't in black and white, surely the tester can't fail you for it?
Steveyk

Postby asperformance » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:26 pm

well it was down as a fail as the headlamp levelling wasn't working and HID's fitted - also poor / lack of beam pattern was noted..........
ASPerformance
online shop!!
asperformance

Postby Steveyk » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:54 pm

ah, I can understand that, my MOT isn't until November, so I'll have to wait until then to see. I noticed HID kits can be bought on eBay for about £50 or less. I've gone for the HIDs4U ones, they say they have no excess glare and are better quality. But I suppose they would say that...!
Steveyk

Postby Megaman » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:18 pm

Steveyk wrote:ah, I can understand that, my MOT isn't until November, so I'll have to wait until then to see. I noticed HID kits can be bought on eBay for about £50 or less. I've gone for the HIDs4U ones, they say they have no excess glare and are better quality. But I suppose they would say that...!

Suppose you could say they saw you coming :lol:

I still find it crazy that they are penalising people for improving their vision at night. I can understand if you are blinding everyone then fair play but just for brighter lights that are used normally.. takes the micky really.. :roll:
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby chiroman » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:31 am

Done a bit more digging, this seems to be a nail in the coffin for our HID's.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/t ... ghting.pdf

Although it contradicts the latest MOT Manual
chiroman

HIDs - fitted!

Postby Steveyk » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:23 pm

Sod the MOT, if it fails it fails:

Drivers side light, air intake removed and HID bulb fitted

Passenger side (tight between battery)

Hey presto, let there be light! The ballast isn't secured yet, they are the silver boxes on top of the battery and the other side

And the view from inside:

They are ace, well worth the 90-odd quid. Best upgrade under £100 ever! The difference on the road is amazing. If you haven't got any, get some!
Steveyk

Postby Megaman » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:20 pm

chiroman wrote:Done a bit more digging, this seems to be a nail in the coffin for our HID's.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/t ... ghting.pdf

Although it contradicts the latest MOT Manual

Bugger :(

Looks like theyre trying to get people to see less, to increase crashes probably to justify speed cameras :roll:
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby seanyb » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:45 pm

My car just failed cause they couldn't get a beam pattern! so put normal bulbs (candles) in passed so will now put the hits back in :)
seanyb

Hid

Postby R1ynb » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:12 pm

Have you got a link to the kit you bought thanks
R1ynb

Hid's

Postby WR1 WOZA » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:02 pm

I got mine on a group buy from this firm on scoobynet ! good quality and good price !
http://www.superhids.co.uk/hid-conversion-kits.html

:lol:
Always try and get to B from A very Quickly !
WR1 WOZA

Postby Steveyk » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:52 am

hids4u.co.uk or hids4u.com, one or t'other. They come with excellent instructions and I think a 12 month warranty. You want the H1 kit for dip, their site says H4. It's wrong.
Steveyk

Return to Tech Help