Login    Register

Rear shock whiteline grease?!

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Rear shock whiteline grease?!

Postby W1 KRB » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:28 pm

I think my rear shocks are on the way out and looking to give them
A grease up like I read In a thread on here, i read about using whiteline grease, now I can't find the thread, can anyone pout me in the direction as to where I would find this or simlar grease for this job?! Thanks!
W1 KRB

Re: Rear shock whiteline grease?!

Postby rossm » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:00 pm

W1 KRB wrote:I think my rear shocks are on the way out and looking to give them
A grease up like I read In a thread on here, i read about using whiteline grease, now I can't find the thread, can anyone pout me in the direction as to where I would find this or simlar grease for this job?! Thanks!

You're probably looking for white lithium grease rather than Whiteline... Should be available in most motor factors (e.g. Halfords)
rossm

rear shocks

Postby pete wr1 290 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:17 pm

hi there,i think i have read the thread you are on about,you get white grease lift the dust cover up and spray to stop the rear suspension knocking.in my opinion this does not work,when you jack your car up the knocking may go for a while then come back this is because the car has been jacked up so the strut has been extended if you know what i mean , and the yellow grease has moved about a bit.my wr1 was knocking and it was doing my head in so i had to remove the strut and strip the strut down so you can remove the yellow grease subaru use and replace it with a good quality grease about half a cup full or so.the grease subaru use goes waxy after a while which makes the damper knock inside the strut.i did my own its not 2 bad of a job but you will need spring clamps,back seat out ect it would cost a fair bit in labour at a garage, cheers pete
pete wr1 290

Postby Micktype WR1 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:00 pm

Have a word with Matty on here. As he's a member on SIDC where there's a really good article on there with coloured pics.....

http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.php/ ... truts#toc2

It refers to the Quick Temp fix............ which incidentally I've been doing for the last 2 years.........

and the full Monty. Removal, regrease etc.
Micktype WR1

Postby Carl Curtis » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Micktype WR1 wrote:Have a word with Matty on here. As he's a member on SIDC where there's a really good article on there with coloured pics.....

http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.php/ ... truts#toc2

It refers to the Quick Temp fix............ which incidentally I've been doing for the last 2 years.........

and the full Monty. Removal, regrease etc.

Thanks for this link,great info.Although mine aren't knocking I will be doing this at the weekend.Shouldn't take that long.This will get me out of watching the wife playing netball!!Although some fit women with short skirts on a cold day,say no more.Struts can wait till Sunday :D
Carl Curtis

Postby Micktype WR1 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:39 pm

Make sure you've BOUGHT the grease before you start LOL !

If you look on FleaBay you'll find Lithium Complex EP2 400g Cartridge. It's a red multi purpose grease that's used on heavy trucks and farm machinery etc. Sold by Signet Ind. Distr (signetid on ebay) £2 a tube plus £2 delivery from Doncaster.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110810100162? ... 3D1&_rdc=1

DO KEEP us posted as to how it goes...... It's still a hot topic on here and other Scooby sites.
Micktype WR1

Postby Carl Curtis » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:49 pm

Micktype WR1 wrote:Make sure you've BOUGHT the grease before you start LOL !

If you look on FleaBay you'll find Lithium Complex EP2 400g Cartridge. It's a red multi purpose grease that's used on heavy trucks and farm machinery etc. Sold by Signet Ind. Distr (signetid on ebay) £2 a tube plus £2 delivery from Doncaster.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110810100162? ... 3D1&_rdc=1

DO KEEP us posted as to how it goes...... It's still a hot topic on here and other Scooby sites.

Mick,with these last two posts of yours you are rapidly becoming my hero!!
I will take some pics at various stages.Got a plan to respray the shocks at the same time too.
Where do you find the time to locate all this info?
Cheers
Carl
Carl Curtis

Postby Micktype WR1 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:38 pm

Cheers Carl.......

Last night I was chatting to a member from West Mids Imprezas. "Black Widow" who's done this job a while back. I think the one comment he made worth passing o is...

A SPRAY is far better than a cartridge of grease... to get it right into the "tube".... I had previously found some 3-IN-ONE spray. Within a few seconds he drew my attention to an online advert for a 400g spray can of this same grease..........

At Bloody Halfords...... £6................ !

All that damned research just wasnt neccesary !

Go buy some Carl.

and.................... P I C T U R E S all the way........ (That doesnt mean it starts with a video of you travelling to blinkin Halfords !!)
Micktype WR1

Postby Micktype WR1 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:41 pm

Oh Carl........

The answer to your Q......

Ans : .......... A 3 day week for me these days.
Micktype WR1

Postby Carl Curtis » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:01 am

Mick.Black Widow aka Mark Feighan lives 2 mins round the corner from me.Nice bloke who knows his stuff.
Sorry to hear about your work situation.Hope work picks up for you so you can at least spend less time on this forum.
Will pop round and see Mark.
Carl Curtis

Postby Micktype WR1 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:54 pm

E X C E L L E N T.......... as Mr. Burns would say !!!

He's often on Fb - better get him added and we can have A THREESOME !!
Micktype WR1

Postby Carl Curtis » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:28 pm

Micktype WR1 wrote:E X C E L L E N T.......... as Mr. Burns would say !!!

He's often on Fb - better get him added and we can have A THREESOME !!

Not sure what you mean by a threesome,or is my mind drifting!!!
I am on Facebook and no that Mark makes a lot of posts via WMI.
Personally I cant stand facebook,its full of people posting shite I dont really want to know about.
Anyway car is up on stands wheels off and ready for the weekend.Camera and tools at the ready.Treated myself to a new 3 ton trollley jack aswell.
Carl Curtis

Return to Tech Help