Login    Register

Creaking Brembos

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Creaking Brembos

Postby chiroman » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:37 pm

The front brakes calipers on the flying WR1 are creaking whenever I press the brake pedal with car stationary with engine running or stopped.

I have the brembo 4 pots and performance friction 2 piece discs and Z rated pads with about 5mm pad remaining, all with even wear.

It's been creaking for months but brakes work ok. At service last year fluid replaced with dot 5.1 and pads were removed all cleaned up and reassembled with copperslip grease but it still creaked.

Today I bit the bullet and and repeated the procedure. Carefully cleaned up the pads and calipers and made sure pistons free. Went out for hard braking session, brakes pull up ok, usual slightly springy pedal. The creaking reduced but still there.

I noticed the pads were slightly dished on friction surface along longest axis so levelled them out on flat surface and thought this may be reason, but apparently not.

Have been googling for creaking brembos and its a common problem. Some suggest the pistons be removed and all cleaned up and lubricated but no one has responded with a successful result.

So phase two will be just that but thought I'd try here first.

Has anyone had this problem and solved it?

Mike
chiroman

Postby swrtno1 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:46 pm

Had exactly the same problem with my brembos when I had them fitted. I also had the same discs and pads as yourself and had the creaking from the calipers.

Tried all the things possible even checked the torque settings of each bolt on the PF discs and still the creaking :evil:

Booked the car into Clarck Motorsport Aberdeenshire and had them take a look. They said a sticky piston! They completely stripped and cleaned both calipers replaced all seals. This cured them problem! :thumb:

So would say that your best bet is to strip the caliper or calipers down and clean/replace the seals.

Hope this helps and sorts the creaking for you.
IF IN DOUT, FLAT OUT!!!
COLIN McRAE R.I.P
swrtno1

Postby SPIKE LIKE MIKE » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:54 pm

Cod liver oil sorts it, it's your old legs creaking :lol:
Crash bang wollop!!
SPIKE LIKE MIKE
"Special Needs" constable

Postby chiroman » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:40 pm

@swrtno1
Yes I too think the calipers need rebuilding with new seals etc. about £100 for kit for both calipers ouch whereas the 4 pot subaru ones are about £20.

Been looking in Scoobynet and I notice when Ian Godney refurbs the brembos he only replaces seals etc if damaged, otherwise cleans up and refits the existing. I see why.

All got to do now is source the repair kits, any ideas? Maybe ASP?

Got glucosamine for the wife's knees but she's still creaky, think she needs to get an adrenaline fix so will take her out brake testing, although her tolerance for enthusiastic driving has diminished with passing anno domini.

Incidentally this takes me back a long time to when I had a Reliant Scimitar coupe, what a fcuking awful car, still got the scars, had to brake test that too round the lanes with the Mrs wedged in the death seat. 130 in that was like breaking the sound barrier. I hurtled along like a test pilot hunched over the controls and guy in a big BM went past all relaxed and smoking a big cigar which he held up with two fingers.
One night in N London the windscreen wipers failed as in gearbox stripped and had to drive back to Rugby up M1 on a rainy night with arm out of window holding wiper blade, Oh for Rainex. Anything you want to know about Scimitars don't ask me I get nightmares.
chiroman

Postby swrtno1 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:24 pm

Can get the seal kit from import car parts, they usually fast at delivering bits. I have used them before for bits!

£92.52 for the sael kit and that dose both the calipers

http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/parts_i ... searchKey=
IF IN DOUT, FLAT OUT!!!
COLIN McRAE R.I.P
swrtno1

Postby SPIKE LIKE MIKE » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:39 pm

:lol: pmsl chiroman!!
Crash bang wollop!!
SPIKE LIKE MIKE

Postby chiroman » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:20 pm

The Scimitar, or one like it but in better nick, for the curious.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Relia ... dshire.jpg
chiroman

Postby SPIKE LIKE MIKE » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:33 pm

Thats a proper old one, TBH I looked at the tiny wedge shaped ones when I passed my test :oops:
Crash bang wollop!!
SPIKE LIKE MIKE

Return to Tech Help