Login    Register

Subaru Garage in Essex or surrey

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Subaru Garage in Essex or surrey

Postby pwmanger » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:48 am

Hi,

im looking at getting cambelt and aux belts changed along with a clutch, can any one recomend a private garage in either surrey or essex area where there do it for a fair price with good quality work.

Is it worth getting an uprated cambelt / clutch or just replacing with a standard subura ones? ow and how much is a new clutch

Ive had a look on here but cant find a relivant post.

thanks

Peter
pwmanger

Postby John Mc » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:57 am

Is your clutch slipping or is it difficult to get into gear? Is that why you are changing it? I think they are relatively expensive due to the amount of labour time to get access to the actual clutch itself although I'm sure someone with more knowlegde (eg an Amoeba) will correct me...
John Mc

Postby pwmanger » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:09 am

no th eclutch hasnt gone yet but the cras done 45,000 miles in the original clutch so i figured its likely to go the way im going to drive it :D, so is there a garage in either of these areas that will do a good job?

thanks

Peter
pwmanger

Postby John Mc » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:27 pm

When you say "the way I'm going to drive it" do you mean you are going to take it on a track regularly? or are you going to be doing loads of traffic light grand prixs? or just drive it like a complete bell end?

If you are doing loads of heavy starts then personally i'd uprate it because you'll probably muller the OEM clutch if you do them regularly.

Why don't you just use the one you have on until that fails and then you can see how a standard one performs before you go and spend money. If you are thinking of modding then probably go for a new uprated clutch then?

I don't know any garages around your area but if you fancy a bit of a trip, Adam (Autotechnica) in Derbyshire (about 1.5hours from you) is the place to go for quality work at very reasonable prices (you may even save the cost of fuel??) and you'll be able to talk to someone who knows what they are talking about whilst you are there!! :lol:
John Mc

Postby Megaman » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:46 pm

Mc Tiddler: Gay And Proud wrote:When you say "the way I'm going to drive it" do you mean you are going to take it on a track regularly? or are you going to be doing loads of traffic light grand prixs? or just drive it like a complete bell end?

If you are doing loads of heavy starts then personally i'd uprate it because you'll probably muller the OEM clutch if you do them regularly.

Why don't you just use the one you have on until that fails and then you can see how a standard one performs before you go and spend money. If you are thinking of modding then probably go for a new uprated clutch then?

I don't know any garages around your area but if you fancy a bit of a trip, Adam (Autotechnica) in Derbyshire (about 1.5hours from you) is the place to go for quality work at very reasonable prices (you may even save the cost of fuel??) and you'll be able to talk to someone who knows what they are talking about whilst you are there!! :lol:

If I didnt know you better John, id think you and Adam were :hump: :lol:

As for the clutch, AP Organic is a good one to go to, I went for a cheaper Exedy uprated clutch. If driving like you stole it, definitely uprate the clutch as oem wont last long. May be worth waiting for standard one to fail first though
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby John Mc » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:56 pm

Megaman wrote:
Mc Tiddler: Gay And Proud wrote:When you say "the way I'm going to drive it" do you mean you are going to take it on a track regularly? or are you going to be doing loads of traffic light grand prixs? or just drive it like a complete bell end?

If I didnt know you better John, id think you and Adam were :hump: :lol:

As for the clutch, AP Organic is a good one to go to, I went for a cheaper Exedy uprated clutch. If driving like you stole it, definitely uprate the clutch as oem wont last long. May be worth waiting for standard one to fail first though

Dunno about :hump: He is quality though :lol:
John Mc

Postby pwmanger » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:07 pm

Ill be mostly doing track days, couple of trips to the ring, so not driving like a bell end just using the car properly!!!

When it comes to the clutch im just preparing myself for when it needs replacing even though its not slipping at the moment. So proberly go in the middle of summer just before an all important track day no dout lol

thanks again

Peter
pwmanger

Postby Andi » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:13 pm

How many wr1's do you want to own this year :?:
You want to track a 45k example and view the likes of mine with 73
Andi

Return to Tech Help