Login    Register

Help!!

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Help!!

Postby seanyb » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:02 pm

Got a real problem, went to get 4 new ps3's fitted to the car and they discovered the left rear locking wheel nut had been sheared, it was all rusty so dont suspect the tyre garage however there is nothing left just the collar that fits into the resess of the wheel so nothing to grab hold of! my mates a bmw tech and he spent an hour on it and got nowwhere so cant get the wheel of and worried i might get a puncture and i need to get the new tyre on, any ideas would be appreciated!!!
seanyb

Postby John Mc » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:33 pm

Need to drill it out using a Mag drill and a HSS drill bit... if it is a hardened steel bolt you will find it tough...
John Mc

Postby Scooby Lee » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:38 pm

Sounds like you need an 'Easy Out' (or similar).

Like this:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5127433_use-easy-outs.html

or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7ftJTUbp4o
Sold out and bought an EVO......then sold it because it was rubbish!
Scooby Lee

Postby seanyb » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:51 pm

problem is all you can see is the threaded stud that you put the wheel nut on, there is nothing to grip or get hold off, just the lower shamfered bottom of the wheel nut left, will try and take a pic! the locking nut was cast so is really touch it shears well but not so easy to drill...
seanyb

Postby Foley » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:49 pm

Take it to a decent garage who can weld something onto the old nut,
Focus ST's rule!!!
Foley

Postby CAVEMAN » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:56 am

difficult to say without actually being able to see your problem, but sometimes just trashing an old socket, by bashing it onto the offended nut has worked for me in the past. Just select a slightly undersize socket, and the biggest hammer you can find...

just remember to protect your wheels whilst trying any of these crude methods!
CAVEMAN

Postby Steveyk » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:50 pm

Kwik Fit sheared one of my locking nuts and after about 4 hours of sweating and banging (and not in a good way) they managed to chisel it off. Unfortunately they completely destroyed my wheel in the process. Good luck!
Steveyk

Postby NewSuboy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:07 pm

Yeah drilling is the only real way forward.

A friend of mine also had the same problem and during the process of drilling wrecked the alloy.

they paid for new set of locking nuts and a wheels refurb in the end.
UK TURBO...SOLD
P1 976.....SOLD
WR1 043.... SOLD
M3 CAB (E46) ..SOLD
EVO IX MR FQ-360 (running 410/430)
NewSuboy

Postby seanyb » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:49 pm

Well decided to take the car back to where I bought it, only got it in December, a few other things needed looking at so now it's there problem lol
seanyb

Re: Help!!

Postby DCFCtom » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:29 pm

Sorry to pull this thread up from history but as you can probably guess this has just bloody happened to me.

Went to get 4 new tyres put on and when the garage went to remove the locking nut it exploded into pieces. BOLLOCKS. I've never had the wheels off in the 11 months ive had the car but it looks like they have been tightened with an air gun previously. The tyre place don't have the tools to remove it so it off to see Jamie at Autotecnica on Monday who hopefully can sort it. Luckily the wheels are booked in for a refurb next month. Looks like i might need it lol
DCFCtom

Postby mossy1283 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:34 pm

There's nothing worse than a sheared bolt! I had one on my air intake duct which wasn't so bad as I could drill a hole in it and used and eazi-out to bring it back out. Looks like your case is definitely a case for the big boys. I wouldn't trust myself using eazi-outs on big bolts like that. Hope it all gets sorted mate, it's probably the hot weather causing the bolts to expand and grip more than normal and as they are generally put on using air tools they are already pretty tight. Gallons of WD40 is the way forward!
mossy1283

Postby asperformance » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:48 pm

the issue is not the air tool but how heavy they have the torque setting when installing them................

they dont actually have to be that tight in the great scheme of things, 65lbs/ft is what you should torque them to
ASPerformance
PFC BRAKES, PAGID, MOTUL, FERODO, BREMBO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA
online shop!!
asperformance

Postby mossy1283 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:02 pm

Or three white knuckles in my case!
mossy1283

Postby DCFCtom » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:32 pm

The garage seemed to think that locking wheel nuts are no longer needed anyway as people don't nick wheels anymore :suss: Not too sure about that personally and especially now these wheels are getting rare and valuable.

Im sure Autotechnica will sort me out. Top guys
DCFCtom

Postby W1 KRB » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:28 am

[quote="DCFCtom"]The garage seemed to think that locking wheel nuts are no longer needed anyway as people don't nick wheels anymore :suss:

Sounds like utter shite to me, wheel theft is still huge around where I live which isn't particularly rough, a friend of mine owns a catch all vxr tuning garage and is always hearing and being asked for spare alloys, keep them safe mate!
W1 KRB

Return to Tech Help