Login    Register

Ignition Cut? Fuel Cut? I don't know...

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Ignition Cut? Fuel Cut? I don't know...

Postby Steveyk » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:28 pm

Hi guys, if I accelerate from low RPM, foot hard down through 4th (or 5th), about 5000rpm the engine cuts out briefly and the engine warning light comes on. If I accelerate flat out through the gears, i.e hard in second, third and fourth, (I'm going very very quickly), but there is no cut and everything works fine. It'd cuts out with a big jolt, enough to upset the direction the car is travelling in...

After 4 or 5 engine restarts the light goes off and all is well. Oddly, while the light is ON, the car sometimes seems to run better. Not sure why, or how, but just better.

I know internet diagnosis is nigh-on impossible, but does anybody have an idea of what may be causing this, or anything I can check? I have a feeling it may be boost related, something to do with the wastegate solenoid maybe? It's almost as though if the turbo is working really hard from low rpm it upsets something, but if the revs are already high (and presumably the boost has dropped off a bit?) then all is well.

Thanks for reading my ramblings and cheers for any advice that may be forthcoming.
Steveyk

Postby asperformance » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:19 am

could be over boosting but really needs diagnosed properly to see what faults are stored and work from there

if your local to the Newcastle/Durham area we can happily inspect for you??
ASPerformance
PFC BRAKES, PAGID, MOTUL, FERODO, BREMBO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA
online shop!!
asperformance

Postby Steveyk » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:08 am

I'll keep that in mind, I live in the midlands, but my in-laws live in redcar. What would cause it to overboost? It did have a Turbosmart boost controller on but I had that taken off.
Steveyk

Postby Steveyk » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:56 pm

Woohoo! Another DIY fix by all accounts. Sprayed carb cleaner through all the wastegate solenoid hoses and the solenoid itself. Job done. Anybody need an apprentice scooby mechanic? :lol:
Steveyk

Return to Tech Help