Login    Register

Ride Height

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Ride Height

Postby CAVEMAN » Thu May 13, 2010 5:06 pm

right then, it seems I may have the dreaded knackered rear struts, although it does sound and feel like the rear diff is locking up randomly but after reading a similar thread it was diagnosed to be the struts.

So I have taken the gamble to order a set of coilovers, which to be honest was gonna happen at some point anyways...and a set of goodies from Alyn at ASP too (rear ARB, complete new bushes all round and some new standard drop links) this should tighen everything up again.

The question I have, seing as this will be yet another DIY jobbie for the weekend..those of you with coilovers...did you keep the standard WR1 ride height...or lower it slightly.

I have read on 22BBB the rear should sit about 5-10mm higher for optimum balance, but just wondering about the height it should sit at...I don't want to mess around with the geometry and knacker up the Ackermann angles at all and will be getting a full wheel alignment again with corner balancing doing too...but would like advice on ride height to go for.

cheers
CAVEMAN

Postby John Mc » Thu May 13, 2010 6:10 pm

I've heard about having the ride height slightly higher at the rear, is it to get more air downforce on the rear when you brake? Can't think of any other benefit of the rear being higher...
John Mc

Postby CAVEMAN » Thu May 13, 2010 6:26 pm

I would asume it is more down to mechanical grip than aero balance...there isn't a lot of aero on this car, and even at silly speeds that rear wing doesn't do a great deal. To really get downforce working for you, you have to have a good front splitter and flat floor in combo with a rear diffuser...the body work just effects drag really on this jap brick.

I ran the rally car perfectly level without any problems at all, but then this was running Reiger coilovers with a full spec R&D cage in too.

Not sure the exact reasoning to be 100% honest, but there has to be a good explanation for it

if I post up my current ride height (measuring from centre of hub to the underside of the wheel arch) can one of you kind people do the same to confirm? the WR1 is lowered than a standard STi so I the words of Leia..."you are my only hope"
CAVEMAN

Postby Megaman » Thu May 13, 2010 9:32 pm

What coil overs did you order Caveman?
mine is booked to get mine replaced for the fourth time in 2yrs with subaru standard stuts - i was told that coilovers come with 1 yrs warranty. subaru parts come with 3 yrs warranty. So far quids in so happy with them - id be gutted if i got ex-tc for them to knock after a year...

must admit my journey to work means around 250 full road width speed humps a week so they get a lot of use...
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby CAVEMAN » Fri May 14, 2010 10:49 am

I went for the BC ER series....got a great deal form the local Finnish distributer

Read good things about them, and they look pretty darn well put together also.

I will reserve judgement until I put them on and start playing..

but right now I am trying to find a good starting point, as they come with pillow ball mounts all round too, so need to verify the wheel alignment settings first and go from there.
CAVEMAN

Postby Gee Wr1 » Sun May 16, 2010 10:07 am

Yep your right about the front being slightly lower than the rear but i'm sure the difference is only 5mm on the Prodrive springs, they drop the front 30mm & the rear 25mm compared to the standard sti.

Have heard a lot of good reports on the BC coilovers, the soft setting is supposed to be the same if not a wee bit softer than standard springs/damper set up with 30 clicks of stiffening to adjust to harder settings. One of the boys i know has them on his sti & says they're great even on the pothole covered bumpy roads we have up here unlike the Tiens which crash & skip about the roads & rattle your teeth. I have been thinking about the BC's as a replacement when mine go again.

Mega couldn't believe you've been through so many sets until you said how many speeed bumps you go over a week :shock: I'm only on the 2nd set in 6 years!
Gee Wr1

Postby CAVEMAN » Tue May 25, 2010 9:38 am

for all interested the standard heights are:-

Front - 350mm
Rear - 355mm

(from wheel centre to wheel arch)
CAVEMAN

Postby Megaman » Tue May 25, 2010 11:09 am

Gee Wr1 wrote:Mega couldn't believe you've been through so many sets until you said how many speeed bumps you go over a week :shock: I'm only on the 2nd set in 6 years!

Yer they dont seem to last very long at all. My route to works involves taking a shortcut but as its turned into a rat run they have filled the streets with speed humps. Always creep over them at 5mph or so but still the suspension doesnt last long. If i spent 2-3k on coilovers such as EXTC id want a 3yr warranty but no one does them unfortunately.
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby hightower » Tue May 25, 2010 5:41 pm

i think i was quotes 750 fitted for those bc coilovers, if i remember rightly.
the rb320 is higher at the back than the front if i remember.
Gracing the drive.....BMW M3 E92 with all the toys!/Integra DC5/ Integra DC2 race car/BMW X5
gone...Impreza RB320 No 112
gone...Impreza WR1 No 84
gone...Civic Type R EP3
gone...Seat Leon Cupra 225
gone...Civic Type R EP3
gone...(shed with weels)
hightower

Postby CAVEMAN » Tue May 25, 2010 7:29 pm

seems a tad cheap for the ER series...maybe the standard items or the inverted ones.

Should be all roughly the same though in performance...bloody good so far, just a little hard right now.
CAVEMAN

Postby Megaman » Tue May 25, 2010 7:58 pm

hightower wrote:i think i was quotes 750 fitted for those bc coilovers, if i remember rightly.
the rb320 is higher at the back than the front if i remember.

rb320 is definately higher at back than the front, it also has bilstein coilovers which the dealerships said didnt suffer from knocking like the wr1 struts. the family rb320 has already gone through at least one set of these after they started knocking lol
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby The Swede » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:38 pm

I got a massive improvement in handling in winter when moving to the softer Prodrive springs on my STi. The fact it was a tad lower at the front also helped with the understeer.

In your case, I'd think of raising the car a little. Might work even better on the snow.
The Swede

Postby CAVEMAN » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:46 pm

where you been hiding Sandy?

Got the adjustable ones so can raise it up for winter!

Pretty sure the springs are slightly softer anyways, but the compression/rebound can be rock solid if required.
CAVEMAN

Postby The Swede » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:18 pm

Hi, mate,

Unfortunately, I've been stuck between a new job and commuting regularly to Finland.

The Evo is still up there though waiting for a play next winter :wink: :wink:

I'd love to see how this suspension works :)
The Swede

Return to Tech Help