Login    Register
  • Author
Turbo is now out, can i spot weld the wastegate penny ?

Postby ROSSCO » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:43 pm

I have managed to get the turbo out now, the penny is very slack, i cant see any way of making it more secure other than to tack it in place , your thoughts ? thanks
ROSSCO

Postby asperformance » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:31 pm

?? you simply adjust the actuator to hold it shut, shouldn't need to weld it............

not sure exactly what your prob is/was??
ASPerformance
PFC BRAKES, PAGID, MOTUL, FERODO, BREMBO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA
online shop!!
asperformance

Postby ROSSCO » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:04 pm

seems to be when im above 0.9bar boost there is a ratling noise, it must be when it is open it makes the noise. (should it be opening ?)

When i say it is slack i mean the circular part that is joined to the arm that opens and closes is slack. i can hold the actuator open, then i can rattle the penny from side to side . It seems to be a crimped connection.
ROSSCO

Postby CAVEMAN » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:04 am

I could be talking complete bollox here, but from one of your earlier pics it looks to be a kind of rose joint....crimped around a spherical ball on the actuator arm. Never taken one apart so don't know for sure.

I would imagine this gives some flexibility when closing the wastegate, as it can rotate on the ball if the penny isn't straight.

Tacking it firmly in place will need a lot of accuracy to ensure a tight seal when it does close, as it will have to be 100% parallel to the face.

Can you not try to re-crimpt it tighter around the ball joint?
CAVEMAN

Postby ROSSCO » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:24 am

morning caveman, i have tried various ways of recrimping but didnt have any luck. When the actuator is holding the penny closed , which it does with alot of force (its pretty hard to move it), im was going to have it welded
ROSSCO

Postby WUZ » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:33 am

Tack it on, it'll be fine. There's 3mm of overlap all around the seating area of the Wastegate penny anyway.

You'll be fine.

I'm just bothered that you'll do this, fit it all back together and the noise will still be there :o

Good luck!

Russell
WUZ

Postby CAVEMAN » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:29 pm

Only 1 way to find out dude....DO IT.. :lol:

A word of note though...isn't the actuator a binary controlled device..i.e. its either open or closed?

so to get a linear ramp, it needs to be pulsed open and closed? Could this be the rattling sound? Of it simply opening and closing quickly?

I think mine is doing the same...or at least sounds like it on light throttle at medium revs...
CAVEMAN

Postby ROSSCO » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:23 pm

Job done, need to wait on gaskets coming tomorrow.
ROSSCO

Return to Tech Help