Login    Register

Looking for some help Please!

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Looking for some help Please!

Postby swrtno1 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:13 pm

Hi Guys was looking at getting my car mapped soon but before I go and shed out my hard earned cash I would like to get some info and thoughts from other 1 owners.

So far the only thing I have fitted is a Blitz Nur Spec and a 3 inch downpipe with a sports cat. Have been looking at some panel filters and the Zero sports intake pipe, as I would like to retain the original air box, is this worthwhile and is there anything else that anyone could or would recommend doing before mapping?
IF IN DOUT, FLAT OUT!!!
COLIN McRAE R.I.P
swrtno1

Postby jimmy » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:26 pm

theres loads of mods out there for you mate,bigger injectors,lightweight flywheel,upgraded clutch,lightweight pullies,up-graded panel filter,un-equal length manifold,

i would leave the map until last that way you'll not need it done again where your finished :lol: :lol:
ver9 grey blobeye sti
jimmy

Postby CAVEMAN » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:35 am

as with everything, it really depends on your budget

I would do as much as you can - all at the same time, inc the re-map.

As for the remap itself there are various options here too, you can go for a simple EcuTek re-flash over the top of the stock ECU....or get a standalone ECU that will allow greater control and added extras such as launch control, anti-lag and flat shifting.

You can also get the license for the software making further re-maps alot cheaper.

After exhaust and induction, then maybe FMIC and headers along with injectors and turbo as mentioned by jimmy. After this you are probably into engine internals and several thousand quid.
CAVEMAN

Postby jimmy » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:59 pm

i agree with you mate 100%, a guy on our site asked what was the best type of intercooler for a wrx,an sti top mount or a front mount.

i quickly said front mount as,they look superb,cost the same as a 2nd sti one and can handle and give more power,but everyone else disagreed :cry:

they said they give you lag?is this true?

i aint the richest spanner in the box so,another map,up pipe and fuel pump are the only engine mods in sight for me :? what i want is handling mods as ive noticed it aint as good as my classic

:D :D
ver9 grey blobeye sti
jimmy

Postby CAVEMAN » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:12 pm

Well there is 2 ways to look at it...Subaru development and manufacturing costs...or just raw performance.

The idea behind it is simple...just a simple aircooled radiator to reduce the heat in the compressed air from the turbo. Cooler air is denser air with more oxygen content...i.e. a bigger bang for said volume of air.

the laggyness I only imagine is the time taken to fully pressurise the entire system to the required boost level. With a longer pipework system then total volume of air is larger so would take more time from stock turbo...as opposed to the standard smaller top mount.

Hence why serious nutters go for the rotated inlet and move the alternator to keep pipework lengths to a minimum. Some even put the turbo at the front too to really keep things compact...but then you run into EGT issues.
CAVEMAN

Postby steve.w » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:39 pm

if you're sticking with the standard turbo then a performance panel filter and air box hose will be worthwhile upgrades.i would recommend a samco hose over the zero sports one as it will be smoother for the airflow.see link below...

http://www.rogerclarkmotorsport.co.uk/shop_detail.asp?productID=209

i would also look into getting some ported headers too.they should give a good gain over standard headers at this level.harvey smith is probably your best bet for these.see link...

http://www.geocities.com/harveysmith3000/partsandproducts.html

or,if you're thinking of bigger turbo etc,as above it depends on your budget.
wr1 no 077 gone...now a 400hp evo ix fq340
steve.w

Return to Tech Help