Login    Register

Battery and other problems

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Battery and other problems

Postby Bonovox » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:22 pm

Not the most technicaly minded but had a bit of a mightmare with the 1 today.
Tend to only use the car once or twice a week and thought I would take it to the shops and sit in it while the wife done the shopping. So there was me sitting in Tesco car park, fan on full, demister on, CD blaring engine off :roll: Next thing the cd switched off and when I tried to start her the alarm went off and the car hadn't enough juice to turn over :(
I switched everything off and left it a while then tried again and got it started but then my bonnet wouldn't shut :evil: The catch was playing up so I took some grease off the battery terminal and put it on the catch which worked and I got the bonnet shut. Needles to say all this was happening in the pissing rain. :evil:
I notice now that I have a yellow engine shaped light lit up on my dash to the right of dccd display, I take it that it's something to do with the battery being flat? The other problem is I was planning on taking the battery out to give it a trickle charge for a few days as I can't do it in situ due to not having a garage. Thing is If I take it out will I lose shit like radio codes or some alarm settings or some other sheeite?
Bonovox

Postby 500tie » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:31 pm

I couldn't tell you why the CEL light came on but i can certainly tell you that by disconnecting the battery will re-set the radio Pre-sets, the clock and your trip computer but that should be it.
Sooty,
Needs a WR1 now his WRX300 is sold
Or a spec D
500tie

Postby chiroman » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:41 pm

I recently took battery to halfords who will test it for free. Mine was flat as pancake but test said OK needs recharge. Also bought white tablets to put in cells and clean up deposits on lead plates. Worked very well with 24hr charge
Mike
chiroman

Postby MaverickUK82 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:48 pm

Bono. Did you know that the WR1 only charges the battery if the sidelights are on? it's a quirk, but a proven one - my battery died the other week and Subaru Assist came out and got me started. The bloke shew me with a voltage meter that it only charged when the sidelights were on.

Also, I've had the engine light come on when my engine got wet. It went off after a couple of days. I'm sure yours will too.
MaverickUK82

Postby Bonovox » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:24 pm

MaverickUK82 wrote:Bono. Did you know that the WR1 only charges the battery if the sidelights are on? it's a quirk, but a proven one - my battery died the other week and Subaru Assist came out and got me started. The bloke shew me with a voltage meter that it only charged when the sidelights were on.

Also, I've had the engine light come on when my engine got wet. It went off after a couple of days. I'm sure yours will too.

And here was me driving home with no lights demister radio etc just incase :? Is it just sidelights or do you need to have something draining the battery for the alternator to work?
I have the car booked in at the local main steeler later in the week so if the light is still on I will get them to check it out.
Bonovox

Postby Foley » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:36 am

MaverickUK82 wrote:Bono. Did you know that the WR1 only charges the battery if the sidelights are on? it's a quirk, but a proven one - my battery died the other week and Subaru Assist came out and got me started. The bloke shew me with a voltage meter that it only charged when the sidelights were on.

That can't be right^^^

Av drove 5k without any lights on and my battery is still very strong,
The alternator may be fook cause that should charge the battery
as soon as you start your car,

You may also have a loose earth wire that is draining the battery,
Focus ST's rule!!!
Foley

Postby marky mark » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:55 am

You have another problem mate if you are not getting an output from the alternator to the battery when you have no lights on at all.
If JP is Roland Rat, them I am Errol the Hamster... His number 1 fan.
marky mark
JPs little helper

Postby Bonovox » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:36 am

Bonovox

Postby MaverickUK82 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:16 am

It is right. It's a quirk with that year impreza.

The recovery guy said he had loads of callouts when the car was released for dead batteries. He couldn't work it out, but after experimenting with one, he said it only charges when the sidelights are on.

They experimented with the meter, heating, stereos etc, all he could tell me was that it only worked with the sidelights on on that year impreza.

I have my sidelights on all the time now. If you have one of them voltameters or whatever they are, why not experiment?

It did make sense when shew me, he even shew me the voltameter charging up when the sidelights were on, but when turned off, the readings started dropping.

It is bizarre but that's how it is.
MaverickUK82

Postby MaverickUK82 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:21 am

Also here.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin ... tor-38052/

Although, the Subaru Assistance guy said to me that it only works with sidelights as he's experimented with it. But he may not have tried the aircon.
MaverickUK82

Postby Bonovox » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:56 am

Battery charged and bonnet lock greased, everything working fine and dandy now. The engine warning light was on for a bit but after about the fourth time I turned on the ignition it has went off. Would I be right in saying they do this if the problem has sorted itself out?
Bonovox

Postby spraggol » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:24 pm

Just found this out the hard way with a flat battery!

Power sensitive alternator, what a load of crap! Why cant they leave it simple and make it charge everytime the engines running!?

I will drive with my sidelights on from now on!
WR1 no. 427
spraggol

Postby chiroman » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:42 pm

My battery flat again during cold weather although car used v little. Thought may be knackered this time but charged for a couple of days and all seems well at moment.

The charging does seem a bit strange as when battery flat, charged for few hrs enough to start car. Ran for a minute or so, switched on some load hoping this would encourage better charge. Car starts to misfire, dash warning lights on and car dies. Battery dead as Dodo. Hence 2/3 day charge.

I did check with digital meter and volts across battery terminals rose to about 14.5v. with no lights or heater etc. on.

I will recheck with lights on in next day or so.
chiroman

Postby Dipsy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:57 pm

chiroman wrote:My battery flat again during cold weather although car used v little. Thought may be knackered this time but charged for a couple of days and all seems well at moment.

The charging does seem a bit strange as when battery flat, charged for few hrs enough to start car. Ran for a minute or so, switched on some load hoping this would encourage better charge. Car starts to misfire, dash warning lights on and car dies. Battery dead as Dodo. Hence 2/3 day charge.

I did check with digital meter and volts across battery terminals rose to about 14.5v. with no lights or heater etc. on.

I will recheck with lights on in next day or so.

14.5v is normal charge going into the battery when car is running
05 REG JDM Sti zl
Dipsy

Postby spraggol » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:25 am

14.5v is normal charge going into the battery when car is running

You mean when the power sensitive alternator is charging not just when the engine is running :)
WR1 no. 427
spraggol

Postby Dipsy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:22 am

When i have used a voltmeter in the past to check the alternator 's on previous car's.When engine is running there's 14.5volts going into the battery .I have never checked the Jdm Sti i have to see what voltage goes in to the battery
Last edited by Dipsy on Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
05 REG JDM Sti zl
Dipsy

Postby spraggol » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:44 pm

You must of had your lights or heaters on at the time because when everything is off in your car it dosnt charge. Fact.
WR1 no. 427
spraggol

Postby Dipsy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:10 pm

spraggol wrote:You must of had your lights or heaters on at the time because when everything is off in your car it dosnt charge. Fact.

I have adjusted it
05 REG JDM Sti zl
Dipsy

Postby spraggol » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:13 pm

:)
WR1 no. 427
spraggol

Postby spraggol » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:22 pm

I wonder whether it was a design fault or whether it was meant to be?

If it was meant to be, then it was a sh*t idea!
WR1 no. 427
spraggol

Postby chiroman » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:02 pm

Been checking volts today.
11.9v engine stopped
12.1v 2000rpm no loads
12.6v sidelights alone or as well as headlights on 2000rpm

(Wife's 07 corsa 12.2v engine off, 13.8v any rpm, slightly less all loads on.)

Phoned IM/Subaru technical, very helpful.

As my battery is original suspect this may be why volts low.

We have load dependant smart charging alternators, identified by 3 wires at plug.

The alternator monitors load and increases excitation (increases output) to compensate which gives the alternator an easier life. Apparently about £750 to replace as they are smart type.
The technical guy emphasized the need for reliability as alternators so expensive to replace.

He also advised getting a pulse charger £20/30 for battery maintenance which he uses for mbike as well.

He's going to send some data on above next week so will post here.

So off to get battery load tested ASAP I suspect mines on its last legs.
chiroman

Postby Clark » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:08 pm

So this is true about the sidelights then? I run with my lights on most of the time anyways but this is the first I've ever heard of such a thing :lol:
Going round corners just got a whole lot faster...
Clark

Postby Foley » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:52 am

Mines has been stored for a couple of months now,
Went out to start mines y,day in it fired up first turn of the key and thats when it's been -18 outside,

Never used any of my lights during the summer and never had any problems with my battery,
Focus ST's rule!!!
Foley

Postby M9JOC » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:56 pm

always run with my lights ontoo always have.
My CEL light came on but went off. I was told after the car is turned on and off 5 times if there is no fault the light wont come back on but the error is on the ECU so while your in town and county they will check it out.

Bonovox you werent in balmedie last night were you i see a WR! in Balmedie with a private plate N19 C**
98 DC2 Integra type R
00 Audi TT 180 Coupe
03 DC5 Integra typeR
02 Alfa spider V6
01 Honda s2000
03 Audi TT 225 roadster
02 Porsche Boxster S
06 porsche Cayman
04 Subaru Impreza STi WR1
Now:
07 BMW Z4M
M9JOC

Postby Bonovox » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:35 pm

M9JOC wrote:always run with my lights ontoo always have.
My CEL light came on but went off. I was told after the car is turned on and off 5 times if there is no fault the light wont come back on but the error is on the ECU so while your in town and county they will check it out.

Bonovox you werent in balmedie last night were you i see a WR! in Balmedie with a private plate N19 C**

Nope mate wasn't me, mine has been sitting outside my house being neglected the past few weeks. :(
Bonovox

Postby M9JOC » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:39 pm

Bonovox wrote:
M9JOC wrote:always run with my lights ontoo always have.

Nope mate wasn't me, mine has been sitting outside my house being neglected the past few weeks. :(

:cry: poor thing you need a hug like
98 DC2 Integra type R
00 Audi TT 180 Coupe
03 DC5 Integra typeR
02 Alfa spider V6
01 Honda s2000
03 Audi TT 225 roadster
02 Porsche Boxster S
06 porsche Cayman
04 Subaru Impreza STi WR1
Now:
07 BMW Z4M
M9JOC

Postby spraggol » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:56 pm

Clark wrote:So this is true about the sidelights then? I run with my lights on most of the time anyways but this is the first I've ever heard of such a thing :lol:

Yes its true mate. Shit design if you ask me. Put a multimeter on your battery and experiment with your lights or heater and your see for yourself!

Basically the alternator only charges your battery when there is a substantial drain. I know spark plugs etc use power but this is not enough to make it charge. You need either your lights or your heaters on to make the alternator kick in. The stereo doesn't draw enough power to make the alternator kick in unfortunately.

Google it mate. Its all over the net. Apparently a power sensitive alternator is easily identifiable by its wiring by someone that knows what there looking at such as a mechanic.
WR1 no. 427
spraggol

Return to Tech Help